Nights out and weekends

Options
Can you go out to clubs/pubs/bars, and still have fun on a diet? I'm fine with not losing weight on the days when I go out, it's only once or twice a week, but it's the 4am chips that get me.

I also find that I tend to binge whenever I'm giving myself a day off. It's so frustrating. I'll lose weight in the week, then gain it back at the weekend when I see friends. Then once I've indulged a little, it's like it's difficult to stop.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    well... that depends. It's not a clear answer because some folks can have a cheat day and get right back on tack, and some fall off track and it derails their progress severely.

It's too hard for me to just cheat a little, so I have decided against it. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so the snacks at 4am are muuuuch harder to deny. The best bet is to avoid this situation, at least for the first chunk of time. Maybe a month at least? Just to get you really into your weight loss. Once you've really started seeing progress, it'll be easier to say no to the things that will hinder the progress. When you've only lost a few pounds, you can't really see any difference in your body yet, you don't feel like much has changed, so its easier to fall off...but drop your first 10-15, start seeing your progress both on the scale and in the mirror, and you will not let anything mess up your success.
  • mazari
    mazari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am just the same Mon heaviest day spend all week getting it off friday lightest day have a weekend and its back to square one :drinker:
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i find i can enjoy my nights out with a bit of planning!!
    i only ever drink shorts - normally vodka, but i have a large glass of diet coke, and just one shot, it lasts longer and i'm still having a drink.
    i also go somewhere where there will be a lot of dancing!! always a good workout.
    and as for the chips - my downfall too - try sharing with someone - half the damage :ohwell:
    i also make sure i have some healthy low fat ready meals in the freezer - one for before so i eat well and keep my calories in check before, and one for the next day so i can save myself from the hangover belly x
    hope this helps xx
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I read an excellent post on here last week about the drinking. Our bodies will burn alcohol before anything else so whenever you drink your body stops fat burning and starts alcohol burning. It only switches back to fat burning once all the alcohol is gone. If you go on a major drinking splurge it could be 2 to 4 days before your body goes back into fat burning mode.

I cannot say no to anything once I've been drinking so for me I have chosen to rarely drink :)
  • gilsalliss
    gilsalliss Posts: 24
    Options
    weekends are also my downfall! I'm at my lightest Saturday morning, but come Monday morning ......

but to be honest, I'm used to that! As long as I'm good throughout the week, I dont mind going off the rails at the weekend and then starting again on Monday! I'm still going in the right direction :smile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I would usually let myself have one cheat day a week. I didn't drink though. I guess I'd rather save the calories for some good food then alcohol. I've never been that much of a drinker anyway. If I confined my cheating to one meal per week, I'd still lose. If I go hog-wild the whole weekend, I have to spend the rest of the week getting that bloat out of my system.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've found I can enjoy my weekends without completely losing my healthy eating. This past weekend I visited friends at my college that I just graduated from and it of course was going to involve eating and drinking. When we ate out, I chose low-calorie options and only drank water with my meal. Then in the evenings I let myself drink but tried to choose either shots or mixed drink with low calorie mixers. I didn't scale back on what I would have drank or ate normally, but I just made smarter choices about it. It makes a huge difference picking the 100 calorie diet coke and rum over a 700 calorie Long Island Iced Tea. I've got a friend visiting this weekend and my parents coming next weekend, so it's either choose food smartly, or miss out on spending time with people. I won't beat myself up if I go over calorie on one day, I prepare for it with a good workout and make sure on Sunday, I'm back to my regular habits and working out.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure a rum and diet is only 60 calories :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • pillboy
    pillboy Posts: 28
    Options
    weekends are a problem to most people
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure a rum and diet is only 60 calories :flowerforyou: :happy: