Protein ideas... Need help with this

Options
suzeexoxo
suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
I just noticed my weekly calories are 54% carbs and only 24% protein which is no good. I need to decrease my carbs and increase my protein. I need ideas of good sources of protein the more the better. I don't like yogurt so that's not an option for me it makes me gag. Thanks! :)

Replies

• Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tilapia, tuna, salmon, turkey, chicken, nuts/nut butters, protein bars (Quest, Pure Protein etc), protein powders, quinoa....there's tons of options.
  • kelypierce
    kelypierce Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your carbs are "good carbs" there is NOTHING wrong with this ratio. In general, Americans eat far too much protein. Look at Asian and Mediterranean diets..... a little protein and lots of veggies and carbs.
    Just make sure you are eating healthy carbs. Get rid of the wheat based items....yep...only a little bread, pasta, cereal and you'll be doing great!!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Stealing from Sara

bfb609df-ad30-4e88-8b2f-a34ab95f0d8b_zps4c0f3fd2.jpg
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also cheese. If you have The laughing Cow brand where you live they make Babybel lite's (my fave) and they're only 50 calories a piece.
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love amplify protein shake. Gnc makes them. They are a little pricey but way less than some of these others. I have around 100 of protein a day. Sometimes I drink just one other times I have 2. I also count my carbs and sugars and they are low in both.
  • hiimanupa
    hiimanupa Posts: 53
    Options
    I second eggs... egg whites/egg beaters are a good way to get significant protein for less calories. I eat 3 egg whites in order to get 38 g of protein within 170 calories, which is really not bad at all.

Milk is also quite decent for getting more protein. Do you like cheeses? Parmesan cheese is a good idea for this, as is cottage cheese.

Peanut butter is also a good source of protein, and it tastes good. Also, edamame/lentils are good sources of protein too.
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    Breakfast - eggs
    Lunch - meat such as Chicken, beef, pork, etc or fish with veg or salad
    Dinner - variation of te above

Snacks - nuts, seeds, cheese, cottage cheese, beef jerky etc

Supplements - whey protein shake
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, cottage cheese, beans and lentils, Greek yogurt ,hummus ,raw almonds and peanut butter are a few more. Sorry ,by the time I wrote this most of mine was already suggested.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    meat, eggs, cheese, fish, nuts etc?
  • candymara
    candymara Posts: 49
    Options
    A boiled egg here and there really helped me with mine! Also TUNA! It's SO high in protein and pretty reasonable on the calories. 2 times a week I like to throw a can onto some salad with some low fat cucumber dressing (or Fat Free Italian tastes great too) and some fresh veggies with a bit of shredded mozzerella on top!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Thank you toddis for the chart.

Besides the usual culprits of chicken, fish and lean beef, i also use turkey salami (microwaved to a crisp) and crab sticks (only 16 calories each if you don't mind eating processed stuff). T
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I second the nuts.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

I second the nuts.

i love nuts in my mouth....cashews and almonds are my fave.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I second the nuts.

5 calories and 1.25 g of protein per nut
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also cheese. If you have The laughing Cow brand where you live they make Babybel lite's (my fave) and they're only 50 calories a piece.

This. This is amazing. I loved Babybels before joining MFP, and then I realized I actually love the light ones even more! If you get sick of gouda (who does?) they also have a swiss one which is only 60 cals.

PS - as a side note, I like to add cottage cheese to my salads and use it in other creative ways (like pureed to make a cream sauce). It ups my protein and helps me feel more full, and longer. It also adds bulk and takes on the flavour of the dressing/sauce used with it.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have an egg white scramble most mornings for breakfast, which is a nice big dose of protein. I often eat fish or tofu for dinner. Good lunch ideas = quinoa with black beans, a salad with tuna, leftover dinner/stir fry, or sometimes I do an appetizery lunch- a variety of things like a hard boiled egg ("deviled" with a touch of light mayo!), veggies and hummus, olives, nuts, etc. things like that. I'd really recommend getting protein from whole food sources, rather than processed protein bars or powders.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just noticed my weekly calories are 54% carbs and only 24% protein which is no good. I need to decrease my carbs and increase my protein. I need ideas of good sources of protein the more the better. I don't like yogurt so that's not an option for me it makes me gag. Thanks! :)

Noting your aversion to yogurt, if you can handle it, cottage cheese is packed with protein and not too many calories. I like to take a cup full and throw a handful of peanuts into it for lunch.
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas :)
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    You can also make protein-rich desserts. Take ricotta cheese and whirl it smooth in the food processor with a little sugar or sugar substitute and vanilla, and use it as a topping for fruit or a substitute for pudding.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Edamame in salads cold or in stir fry served hot, shrimp, pumpkin seeds, ricotta cheese (find a high protein, low carb recipe for lasagna at yourlighterside.com which is so awesome)
    Actually any recipe from that site is awesome. She also makes a protein bread you can use to make a sandwich or toast.