Anyone else having trouble juding how much they have lost?

Options
I'm not sure if any of you guys are like this, but my weight shifts constantly throughout the day and everyday is different. One day I can be 149pds and 2 days later I can be 156 and then shift back down to maybe 152pounds. Anyone else having issues with juding how much they have lost? I understand that muscle does weight more then fat but seriously, I can understand maybe a pound or two juggling but this is ridiclous! I have been dieting for 3 1/2 weeks.

My beginning weight was 157ish,
as of "RIGHT NOW" I am 149.

I think i just need to put the scale away and judge by my jeans or measurements before I go nuts!

Replies

• mycrazytiffany
    Options
    water weight can vary alot it can make your weight go up about 7 pounds somtimes, my advice would be to put away the scale and only weigh yourself once a week in the mornings. thats how you can track if your losing weight
    Good luck
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, I think you're seeing water weight fluctuations. I also think you should cut down weighing yourself to maybe once a week. As for measurements I would take them maybe every other week or once a month.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You have learned the first lesson of dieting. Avoid the scale like the plague, it will drive you insane.

I would not weight myself more than once a week, and always do it at the same time (Ideally first thing in the morning right after waste removal).

Even then take it with a grain of salt.

And if you are workingout......all bets are off at that point. I starting a really intense workout routine and put on 6 pounds overnight. However I still look thinnner than when I started two weeks ago....soooooo
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Relying on the scale can be brutal! One day I was 151, the next morning 159, then 2 days later back at 151.5. So I go by how things fit and how I feel instead.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    A lot of things can cause weight fluctuations of up to 10 pounds in a day. Do you weigh yourself on an empty stomach at the same time of day, in the same clothes? The contents of your digestive system can cause your weight to vary, particularly if you don't have regular bowel movements. Your body may also retain water for a variety of reasons, including too much sodium and general dehydration, and muscles also tend to retain water after a particularly strenuous workout.
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% the same way. I can bounce between 147 and 154 daily.
  • jb1164
    jb1164 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok... The thing is... your body doesn't understand that you require it to behave like a machine, so...

1. Only weigh once a week, at the same time, wearing roughly the same clothes
    2. Measure yourself and log it on your profile. The tape measure doesn't lie.
    3. Take photos, so you can see for yourself.
    4. Relax. It's not a race. You will lose weight if you eat less and move more. Simples!

Good luck.
    J :0)
  • missarielbaby
    missarielbaby Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ...Blasted scales and their weights!

I'll have to cut back down to once a week. I have an issue with cutting down on sodium too, big time. Calories isn't hard, it's the sodium and sugar for me. I'm like an ant!!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm not weighing this month.

I gained some weight when i started using weights a few months ago ( I know this is normal) and it's driving me insane.

My clothes fit fine and I feel fine so it's pointless to torture myself with that number.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ...Blasted scales and their weights!

I'll have to cut back down to once a week. I have an issue with cutting down on sodium too, big time. Calories isn't hard, it's the sodium and sugar for me. I'm like an ant!!

I just wanted to eat healthier. I have a lot of weight to lose, but that wasn't my focus. Well until I went to the see my doctor and I am in pretty bad shape, the low end of the scale of bad shape, but bad shape just the same. I decided I would rather lose weight than cut salt out of my diet, so now I have added exercise to my plan. I have been trying to eat healthier since October so salt is about the only thing left for me to fix in my diet.
  • loretta726
    loretta726 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually just read to get info but am so glad I stumbled on this thread. I weighed 144 on Tuesday. I began exercising this week (Monday and every other day). Today I got on the scale and I'm 150. It makes me wonder if I should just diet my way to goal weight and then exercise. I started in late Jan and had lost 16 lbs. Am totally bummed!