My clothes don't fit....

AndreeT
AndreeT Posts: 191
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Good Morning All,

I've lost 20 lbs as of this morning (weigh-in is on wednesday's so my ticker won't update until next week)! My problem is that I have nothing to wear anymore! My clothes are too big!!! I am so excited to have lost 20 lbs so far but yet this morning I am so frustrated that all my clothes are so baggy....I feel like a slob! My hubby gave me a good pep talk this morning and told me I looked great and that's what happends when you lose weight...ppl don't expect you to replace your entire wardrobe right away and besides who cares what people think...they should be happy for you. I completely agree and they are but I can help but feel frustrated this morning....

Just needed to get that off of my chest. :grumble:

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    That's great that you lost 20lbs. You should buy yourself a few pieces of clothing. It will make you feel better about yourself and motivate you to get to your goal. You definitely deserve a reward for your hard work.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Find a consignment store for your in between size. You can get nice clothes for not too much money. Replacing your pants will do so much for your appearance and really show people how much you've lost.
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    I understand, i actually had a girl at work start laughing at me a couple of weeks ago. She said "You have got to quit wearing that", it made me feel really good! First time in my life that i felt good because someone was laughing at me!!!

kat
  • nickidavis
    nickidavis Posts: 1
    Hi
    I just joined myfitnesspal but I have lost 11 stone total. Gone from a size 26/28 to a 12. All through the sizes I bout cheap n cheeful clothes to keep me going, if I saw anything I really liked that was not cheap I bought in my finish size to give me incentive to get there. I only want to loose about 6 lbs more
    Hope this helps
    Nicki
  • klt1030
    klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
    I've lost 20 pounds too and had to break down and buy some pants for work. I looked like I was carrying a load in my pants... I agree on checking with consignment shops - check out your good will stores too - it's hit or miss for the stores in my area, but I have found some decent clothes there. I also splurged on a few pieces that I figure I can wear for the summer then donate them.

Kelly
  • merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    I feel your pain. I've lost 50 pounds and had not bought a thing. I'm too cheap to spend the money for something I don't intend on staying in for long. But I am going to a wedding this weekend and just on a whim went into a store to see if they had anything reasonable that I coudl wear. I walked out of there with an outfit for $30.00 in pants that were a size 20 - previously I was a 24 to 26. The top was a 2X - where previously I was a 4X. Talk about incentive to go on !!!! I am going to look great and feel great in clothses that fit and are not hanging on me and am now motivated to lose even more weight .
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    I've been having this exact same issue........I have 3 good pairs of khakis that I just don't wear anymore b/c they look ridiculous......I'm on the last loop on my belt and even then my pants fall off and look horrible!

It's a good idea to hit up consignment shops.....I'll have to check out Plato's Closet or something.

I'm glad that other people out there are having the same "problems" as me........but I'll take this problem anyday of the week :tongue:
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Find a consignment store for your in between size. You can get nice clothes for not too much money. Replacing your pants will do so much for your appearance and really show people how much you've lost.

This is a great idea! Besides if you are planning to lose more you don't want to go out and buy all new just so they can be too big again in a few months. But I do think a mini shopping spree is in order here... you have done a great job... time to reward yourself!!!!!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    I'm in the same boat. I do have some clothes that fit from before I gained the weight but for the most part everything is too big. I have a total of 100 lb so I certainly can't afford new clothes everytime I go down aside. But hey, at least its a better feeling then having nothing that fits because you are gaining.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    I haven't lost quite as much as you have (yet! lol) but I totally know how you feel. I've noticed that every single pair of pants I own is too big. On my waist, on my thighs... they look ridiculous! But there is no way that I am going to buy new clothes now only to have the same thing happen again!

I don't know if it is the same for you, but for me, the shirts aren't so much a problem. I have a pretty big chest that needs lots of room, so that's fine.

But here's my suggestion, pants-wise... wear skirts! Ones without a zipper. Most skirts that they make today have that elastic, stretchy waist. They'll fit for quite some time. For example, my roommate in college used to borrow skirts from me. My size? XL/1X. Her size? M (and the only reason why she was a M and not a S was because she had hips!). I was amazed the first time she borrowed one of my skirts- she needed something to wear for a choir concert and didn't have anything. I told her there was no way that anything of mine would fit her, but she was welcome to try. She grabbed the one she liked the best and threw it on... and it stayed on! I couldn't believe it, but there it was.

I've always been a skirt-girl, so I have a bunch. You can even find some that don't have the big elastic in them but are still stretchy- I have a pink skirt that is made totally out of a really light cotton (you can barely feel it when you're wearing it!) but the top is just a little bit stretchy before it flairs out. The skirt is a size L and I've always been able to wear it, even at my heaviest!

And it is a perfect solution for work- skirts can definitely be professional! I'd suggest investing in some even if you don't own any now... as long as they don't have a fitted/zipper waist, you can get it in that smaller size than you are used to and still be able to wear it, even if you go down another size or two! =)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I definitely suggest in investing in a pair of pants or two. Tops are easier to get away with not switching sizes, but pants just look terrible when they are too big, and after all that hard work you want to show off your body! The consignment shops are great, or just look for sales and coupons for stores you shop at. My favorite is when New York And Company does a spend $75, get $30 off deal. I just got a coupon for Express like that, I'm going shopping there this weekend. Even if you can get one pair of jeans and one pair of pants for work or something, you can do laundry a little more frequently :D
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Ohhh I understand! I call all my jeans "poopy diaper" jeans because I am pretty sure I could crap myself in them and they would look the exact same, baggy and droopy!

Good for you on the 20 pounds!! :flowerforyou:
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Go take a look at Salvation Army or other clean and well-organized second hand stores. You'd be surprised how many nice things you can find there. Of course, it takes some time to search. But certainly, it's all worth it! Why pay $100 when you can buy for $2. I'm all for a cleaner Earth and saving natural resources. :smile:
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    I'm going through the same thing. While I don't want to spend money on things I hope not to be wearing for more than a couple of months, it has made me feels SO great (and confident) to wear something that shows off my new figure. The others' suggestions about shopping thrift stores is a great idea! Also, I've been buying items that are a medium (instead of my previous large) , which will fit for a range of sizes. I've done this for skirts, dresses, tops, etc. It's easier to justify buying new things right now, if I know they'll fit for awhile as I continue losing weight. Congratulations on the weight loss :)
  • constancelawson
    constancelawson Posts: 32 Member
    i used alot of belts, and just looked a bit baggy until i had to get new jeans, its a wonderful feeling !
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    def get some mid-way there clothes! ive just done that because all mine were stretched out from the gain or plain and simply too old! (ive had most of my clothes since HS)
    you feel much better when you get to show off new fun clothes and then the motivation sticks around!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    i completly understand....my boss thought it was funny to call me parachute butt....if i could afford new clothes i would buy them...right now, i am down to two pairs of slacks for work. i feel like i wear the same thing everyday!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    ROFL...I was wearing pants so tight that now I've lost 15 pounds and my clothes FINALLY fit me...ugh to remember how uncomfortable I was..and the muffin top!!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    ROFL...I was wearing pants so tight that now I've lost 15 pounds and my clothes FINALLY fit me...ugh to remember how uncomfortable I was..and the muffin top!!!

I know exactly what you mean! I had a pair of jeans that I bought in January even tho they were too tight and now that I've lost 15 pounds, they're getting loose! Some of my clothes that were too small now fit great or are getting loose. I was probably wearing a size too small to begin with, so I've gotten more mileage out of my clothes since now they fit and look decent. Maybe my mother was right when she said I wear my clothes too tight... hahaha
This discussion has been closed.