Deadlines on weight loss? yes or no? lets debate.

Options
I really do not believe in Deadlines, I think it leads to disapointment and desperation in people. I did not put this weight on in any set timeframe and it will only come off as I continue to eat right and exercise. I am curious to hear other people's points of view, I try to be open minded.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I set mini goals, to encourage me to stay on track and to break the weight loss up into smaller more manageable pieces. I try to make my goals but am not upset when I don't since weight loss is not linear. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I set mini goals, to encourage me to stay on track and to break the weight loss up into smaller more manageable pieces. I try to make my goals but am not upset when I don't since weight loss is not linear. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

I could see how that could push you. I guess we all do that to some extent, I know the number I want to see each time i step on the scale even if i do not write it down. Thanks for replying.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I set deadlines--and always miss them. :laugh: I like having a deadline though because it keeps me focused and motivated. I have mini-goals and mini-deadlines and adjust them depending on how much weight I actually lost at that point and what is reasonable based on my history. Then I move on and try to meet the new deadline. Without a deadline, I tend to be more lax and think "there's always tomorrow." That's why it took me so long to start losing weight in the first place.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I set deadlines--and always miss them. :laugh: I like having a deadline though because it keeps me focused and motivated. I have mini-goals and mini-deadlines and adjust them depending on how much weight I actually lost at that point and what is reasonable based on my history. Then I move on and try to meet the new deadline. Without a deadline, I tend to be more lax and think "there's always tomorrow." That's why it took me so long to start losing weight in the first place.
    This was always my problem, when I would miss a deadline i would give up and chuck the whole thing. My only deadline is the 24 hr calorie deadline that MFP gives and that has worked real well for me. But I love hearing this stuff and learning, I am always willing to learn so I appriciate everyone's point of view. Thanks for the reply
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I freak out when I add the deadline. For me it is healthier to only make changes that I can keep forever and be patient.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    What's that saying, "A goal without a plan is a wish". I feel like setting deadlines is part of that plan :) Without the deadline, what is to say you can't keep pushing it off?
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'll take it a step further.

I do not think weight loss is an appropriate goal. Goals should be achievable by specific actions. You to this & that & the goal is achieved. Weight does not fit. You can do everything right & not hit that goal number. Add to that the fact that so many allow their emotions to be ruled by whatever the number on the scale might be and, well...

Also, no number on the scale is going to automatically equal being happy with one's appearance and/or level of fitness.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I freak out when I add the deadline. For me it is healthier to only make changes that I can keep forever and be patient.

Amen Craig and you have lost a couple pounds this way.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I'll take it a step further.

I do not think weight loss is an appropriate goal. Goals should be achievable by specific actions. You to this & that & the goal is achieved. Weight does not fit. You can do everything right & not hit that goal number. Add to that the fact that so many allow their emotions to be ruled by whatever the number on the scale might be and, well...

Also, no number on the scale is going to automatically equal being happy with one's appearance and/or level of fitness.

That was awesome
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i have an end goal in mind, and I also set mini-goals because the end goal can still get pretty overwhelming at times.

"If you don't have a goal, you get lost in the murk of the journey." (paraphrased from a Will Smith quote)
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i am being pretty strict on my diet - so my Deadline is October 31st.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    What's that saying, "A goal without a plan is a wish". I feel like setting deadlines is part of that plan :) Without the deadline, what is to say you can't keep pushing it off?

why does a goal make a wish a plan? if you follow the daily goal(eatting your target) and do that consistantly is that just a wish?
  • I fail at deadlines with weight loss - never, ever, never achieve them. I have really avoided them this time around and it works for me. I will get there, when I get there :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I fail at deadlines with weight loss - never, ever, never achieve them. I have really avoided them this time around and it works for me. I will get there, when I get there :)

I would say you are well on your way.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had a deadline in mind when I first started. However, a few months in now and down 11 pounds, I find that the energy and mood I am in because of exercise and eating better than I have in years has made me realize that this really IS a lifestyle and that whatever results I have from here on out are just icing on the cake! It helps me be a LOT less obsessed with weight and food in general! I just enjoy each day, not beating myself up when I don't have what I deem a satisfactory day and love life! My family is so much happier too :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Ha, this is because what i wrote on my wall.

Ahhhh Busted, YES i wanted to pick up the debate from your wall, I AM GUILTY.
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    I see how having a 'deadline' could be motivating in a way, but the language isn't right... universally we use 'deadline' as a common term at work and it is generally associated with negativity & pressure. Instead of deadline, I'd say "Time Goal of _______ (fill in time here, 1 month/2 months/6 months...).

I'm getting married on May 24th, 2014 (so almost in one year), so that's my "Time Goal', if you will. I want to look and feel great for my wedding so by then I'd like to be 120-130 lbs. Currently I'm between 185-190 lbs (depends on the time of day, lol).

Excellent topic to bring up!

Emmalee :smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I set deadlines to motivate me. Luckily I don't get discouraged if I don't meet them, it just motivates me even more. So for me, they work :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    My deadline when I began here was Dec 2013. I signed up here in February 2012, but really began March 12, 2012.
    I need to lose at least 8 more pounds by then, but I will be continuing until I get to low range BMI.
    Our insurance will go up if we are not at healthy levels on blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol (good & bad), non smoker, and weight.
    Weight is my only issue, thank goodness.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    No deadlines for fat loss at all. It happens when it happens so long as I keep doing what I need to do. I make strength related goals rather than weight loss goals these days, as I find that a much more positive way to motivate myself.