Food for Airplane

lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
I know this is far away, but I'm kind of OCD when it comes about planning things, especially when it consists of flying halfway across the country...

But in June I'm flying out to VA for 10 days to visit my in-laws. The way there and back will be pretty long. With 3 hour layovers on the way there and back, and traveling over all meal times but breakfast...not to mention I get the layovers in the worst airports...Atlanta, and JFK (I lucked out and got to avoid LGA this time...such a bad bad bad experience..8 hours waiting on the tar mat, not to mention the already 3 hour delay before that)

But, anyway, back to the point..

What are some good foods I can bring on the flight? Not just snack ideas but some meals with good substance ideas. I rather not buy food at the airport; yuck, and not to mention $$$

Thanks!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    My go-to flight food is a hummus sandwich with fresh spinach made with some good whole grain bread (vollkorn brot is my fave since it doesn't get soggy) and a piece of fruit, plus some carrot sticks. Easy to pack and nutritious.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Maybe measure out a serving size of boneless, skinless barbeque chicken and some brown rice and package in a tupperware container? I'm not sure of the TSA regs about bringing food through security though :(
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Maybe measure out a serving size of boneless, skinless barbeque chicken and some brown rice and package in a tupperware container? I'm not sure of the TSA regs about bringing food through security though :(

TSA is a-okay with food...as long as it's not liquids..then it's still the 3-1-1 rule. But I'm not sure if the chicken would keep very well through the day :/
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Beef jerky and nuts are good choices. I also found packs of Sabra hummus with pretzels that are clearly labeled showing the hummus to be 3 ounces. I never have any idea what the TSA will or won't allow, but didn't get any grief over that. Oat bran makes great oatmeal if you ask the flight attendant for a cup of hot water and have something to stir it with. Tuna is sold in foil packs. Your seatmates will notice the smell, of course; bring a plastic bag to store the empty wrapper and some wet wipes. A few squares of dark chocolate make a nice dessert.

I agree with you about the prices of stuff in airports, but the choices are getting better. If you check the labels carefully, and maybe throw away the cheese or the second piece of bread in a sandwich you can cut the calories down. Problem is, you sometimes end up with short connection times if a flight gets into the connecting airport late, or sometimes the plane is just delayed on the tarmac. I had a flight to London cancelled in February, but only after they'd kept us on the plane for 2 hours while they tried to fix a mechanical problem, then let us loose with vouchers for the only places in O'Hare that were still open (McD's and Dunkin' Donuts!) then cancelled it entirely at 1 AM. I was so glad to have my own provisions with me.
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    I like the good old peanut butter and jelly on 100 calorie thin bagel bread.some carrot sticks and whole almonds. You might be able to make some healthy trail mix to snack on in between.Take the water instead of the juice or pop when they ask on the plane.Always can pack oranges and a banana or apple and a small container of peanut butter.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    You can take any solid food through security, so fruits, vegetables, and nuts are always good choices, as well as crackers and granola bars if you eat grains. You can also take cooked foods (like meats) or even pick up some cold cuts or salad stuff. Put foods that need to be kept cool in an insulated lunch bag in your carry-on, and try to get some ice for it once you get through security (some restaurants will give you a big cup of ice if you can't find an ice machine). Just make sure your bag is watertight so it doesn't leak during your flights and layovers. You can't take liquids, creamy foods, etc., so if you want yogurt or peanut butter or anything like that, you'll have to buy it at the airport.