Constantly under on calories

Options
So I've been logging everything. I'm not always eating perfectly healthy (poor man's diet is not always the healthiest) but I try to make healthy decisions when I can.
Anyway I'm also breastfeeding on demand thus daily burning of 500 calories logged bringing my net total to 2300 calories and that doesn't include any I burn actually working out. I should be eating high calories for my breastfeeding yes. But even making the 1800-2000 calories is tough as I fill up quickly and seem very full and don't want to eat again anytime soon. I have to force the food sometimes.
Anyone have any snacks that are 1 good for you 2 won't fill me up too much and 3 will help me make my calories for each day? On running days I'm netted sometimes 2600+calories. HOW?!
thanks

Replies

• PandaBandit19
    Options
    Don't buy low-fat low-cal items?? Eat some peanut butter and meat, eggs, umm. other nuts?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, trail mix, ice cream. These things are your friend.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwich is high in calories. 2 pieces of bread and 2 tablespoons of pb is something like 380 calories.
  • JennChamb
    JennChamb Posts: 55
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, trail mix, ice cream. These things are your friend.

Ice cream? Really? :) any particular?
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with berries
  • JennChamb
    Options
    Nuts are extremely difficult with a nut allergy. Most nuts that I cam eat are processed in plants with others causing a serious issue. :(
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Avocado is a great idea
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Whole foods - whole milk, real butter, salad dressings that aren't "light" or "low fat". Cheese is a great calorie source (not to mention calcium too), some cereals are a nice balance of nutrients and calories with out a ton of sugar. (Have to read food labels to find them, can't eat them any more, so I've forgotten the ones I used to enjoy.) Pork, beef, wild game meat.

Just about anything that has fat along with the protein should help boost those calories for you.
  • JennChamb
    Options
    Whole foods - whole milk, real butter, salad dressings that aren't "light" or "low fat". Cheese is a great calorie source (not to mention calcium too), some cereals are a nice balance of nutrients and calories with out a ton of sugar. (Have to read food labels to find them, can't eat them any more, so I've forgotten the ones I used to enjoy.) Pork, beef, wild game meat.

Just about anything that has fat along with the protein should help boost those calories for you.

So following calories I need to pay attention to fats too don't I? What stats really should one want to track?
  • ozonenrhia1
    Options
    Hi Hun! I nursed all my kiddos so I understand:) Ok, ice cream, milk shakes, pb milk shakes,pb sandwiches,yogurt, avocado,ummm...fish is awesome for you and baby, throw in some salads with egg,bacon,salad dressing, cheese, cottage cheese....hmmm..let me think more:)
  • JennChamb
    Options
    Hi Hun! I nursed all my kiddos so I understand:) Ok, ice cream, milk shakes, pb milk shakes,pb sandwiches,yogurt, avocado,ummm...fish is awesome for you and baby, throw in some salads with egg,bacon,salad dressing, cheese, cottage cheese....hmmm..let me think more:)

Taking notes keep going!
  • JennChamb
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwich is high in calories. 2 pieces of bread and 2 tablespoons of pb is something like 380 calories.

We have lots of Pb. I'll get to eating thanks!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What were you eating before you started losing weight? Those foods were probably pretty high calorie. Eat some of those foods. You can also use things like full fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, etc. to get some extra calories in for a small volume of food.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! You can cram tons of calories into smoothies, plus they taste awesome.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm also nursing exclusively and find I do fine supply wise at 1850 total plus exercise cals (netting 1350). But if you want more cals fitting your criteria I suggest high density sources like olive oil, nuts and cheeses. :)
  • JennChamb
    Options
    What were you eating before you started losing weight? Those foods were probably pretty high calorie. Eat some of those foods. You can also use things like full fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, etc. to get some extra calories in for a small volume of food.

Honestly since giving birth 9wk ago I've lost 30lb. I was eating pretty much anything and everything. Then I caught pharyngitis at 6wk pp and hardly ate for 5 days. Haven't been able to recover since and only lost 1-3lb
  • JennChamb
    Options
    Smoothies! You can cram tons of calories into smoothies, plus they taste awesome.

Hubby broke my blender. New one coming in Monday :)
  • JennChamb
    Options
    I'm also nursing exclusively and find I do fine supply wise at 1850 total plus exercise cals (netting 1350). But if you want more cals fitting your criteria I suggest high density sources like olive oil, nuts and cheeses. :)

No problems supply wise. But as I said above I caught pharyngitis around 6wk pp and haven't been able to recover since on eating high caloric intakes.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there. It's so nice to hear someone w/the same thing I am going throughl. I am drinking ensure to fill in the gaps. However, you mine as well be drinking gold. (it can be pricey.)

I also noticed there are so many diet foods that I used to buy unintentionally. I now buy nothing reduced. Since it's hard to fit in all those calories, if you are full.

I find small changes go a long way. Like, instead of an orange, have a banana. Rather than tilapia, cook salmon. Instead of a side of light dressing go with ranch. At first this was hard because I am so conditioned to be "healthy", I was scared to change. But I remind myself that if I want to get the calories in, it's best to just swap things, as if I were dieting.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Ice cream? Really? :) any particular?

lol. Whichever sounds most delicious to you.

You really don't need to worry very much about the fats. Aim to hit your calorie goals, and your proteins first, then your fats. Remember that the numbers MFP gives you on fats/protein/carbs are MINIMUMS and most would argue they're pretty low. Also know that dietary fat does not equal body fat: excess calories (i.e. above your maintenance intake or TDEE) equals body fat.

Enjoy your ice cream! :D