Why personal trainers can't be trusted

13»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I've had and currently work with great PT's, my only gripe is that none of them seem capable of counting or marking time!!
    My 15 reps is always more ( when I remember to count too) and I'm sure the 60 seconds they time are the longest minutes ever!!!

Other than that my commitment to pt is now an essential part of my training - not an indulgence.

I will admit that, especially with newer exercises, I often don't bother to count reps. I am too focused on the client's form and am concentrating on subtle changes that let me know they have pushed as far as I want them to for that set.

There are other clients who definitely need to see the barn approaching and push much harder if they are given a set target of reps. Even then I sometimes won't have a predetermined target number of reps. I just watch them get to a certain point and then give them an end goal of "2,3,4 whatever" reps to go so they can finish strong.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Funny, I just switched personal trainers. My former trainer was of the "ladies should stick to machines and not free weights" mindset. I met with my new trainer last week and I told him specifically that I liked doing deadlifts. His reply, "You and I are going to get along GREAT then because that's the best exercise there is." :-)

So far all the workouts we've done have included free weights (or body weight exercises) and light cardio. I like this guy.....
    Body weight exercises and light cardio has you liking this guy hey? What kind of program are you doing again :tongue:

90% of my sessions is heavy (for me) lifting. But he is pretty easy on the eyes......that helps. :wink:

I should also mention that the former trainer was about about 30 lb overweight, so I knew he wasn't the trainer for me, but I gave him a month to see what happened.....then I moved on.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    There are a good trainers out there. You just have to find them.

It would help people out if good trainers lobbied for standardized knowledge across competing certification bodies, so people knew what to look for.

(which seems to be happening in pilates: http://www.pilatesmethodalliance.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3278 ) <- wrong page before, sorry

It's been a topic of discussion for at least 25 years. There are several reasons why it never goes anywhere:

1. Powerful enemies--professional organizations like physical therapists oppose it because they don't want the competition; commercial health club owners opposed it because it would cost them more money.

2. A lot of trainers are only interested in becoming the next faux "fitness celebrity" ala Jillian Michaels, so they are not interested in improving the profession as a whole.

3. It's hard to study and look in the mirror at the same time.

4. There is no consensus concerning core standards.

5. The only way a standard licensure bill would pass would be if it grandfathered all existing trainers. So you would just be institutionalizing the chum.
    Yup.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    That particular trainer obviously didn't know what he was on about, but rest assured, not all trainers are ignorant like him. There are others that have had further education, and many more years of experience that definitely know what they are on about. I used to have a brilliant trainer that was really passionate about learning new things, and keeping up to date and developing himself professionally. Trainers like him are worth the money, because they are a wealth of knowledge.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member

It would help people out if good trainers lobbied for standardized knowledge across competing certification bodies, so people knew what to look for.

(which seems to be happening in pilates: http://www.pilatesmethodalliance.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3278 ) <- wrong page before, sorry

It's been a topic of discussion for at least 25 years. There are several reasons why it never goes anywhere:

1. Powerful enemies--professional organizations like physical therapists oppose it because they don't want the competition; commercial health club owners opposed it because it would cost them more money.

2. A lot of trainers are only interested in becoming the next faux "fitness celebrity" ala Jillian Michaels, so they are not interested in improving the profession as a whole.

5. The only way a standard licensure bill would pass would be if it grandfathered all existing trainers. So you would just be institutionalizing the chum.

Right, sorry, of course, I'm sure it's all a nightmare. A few questions, though:

Re 1, I wonder if there's some middle ground that might be exploited. Because physios in the US are shortly going to need doctorates to practice, if they don't already, and will probably want to run their own clinics; over the next 5-10 years, are they really going to want to do what they might consider 'mid-level' work, for their investment? PTAs are stuck to their PTs in institutions. I've seen (but can't afford) a handful of really great clinics where physios & trainers & Pilates instructors work collaboratively. But those are singular examples, and who knows, with this economy. Commercial clubs, well, they're shark pits, true.

Re 4, doesn't the American College of Sports Medicine have a research-based consensus statement on exercise? edit: ah you mean standards of COMPETENCE. of course. sorry. There's a new body in my area for a different (new) class of health professional, made up of 3 or 4 legacy professions. They're not done establishing standards, and it's been 5 years. Still, possible, if there's a will. But I guess what you're saying is there isn't.

2, 3 and especially 5 do seem kind of insurmountable.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

(and i have to apologize for exposing everyone to my thought process. i have a cold but can't say it's often better.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,900 Member

Wise are you Azdak.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

Wise are you Azdak.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Age does NOT bring "wisdom", but it does bring perspective. So I have lots of "perspective".........:cry:
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    At school we were lucky enough to have an England Rugby Union player as a PE teacher and he had us doing squats and dead lifts from the age of 12. He really pushed us in all areas and it paid off too, we were the most feared team in all sports. He was also the only teacher who encouraged us to run in the corridor and if you got in trouble and got detention with him, you had to run around the sports field for the duration. We actually all hated him at the time but, on reflection, I'm grateful that now - thanks to him - I have good form with weights :drinker:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Please don't say "personal trainers suck".. not all of them do. For a real personal trainer, you have to spend big bucks.. the "cheap" ones are barely educated, barely have real life experience and say stupid statements like the one you got. If your personal trainer is closer to $70/hour then they probably know what they are talking about... You get what you pay for.. that is VERY true for personal trainers.

Do you know what you have to do to become a basic "get the initials" CPT? Not much! Experience and knowledge are what matter.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    If you're deadlifting and that bar ain't bending, you're just pretending haha...