Do you count Calories for your kids?

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing anyone can do for their children is lead by example. If I had kids there wouldn't be unlimited junk food in the house like there was when I was little. I wouldn't count their calories, no. But they wouldn't have access to chips, corn dogs, poptarts, candy, etc all day long. They would be taught that things like that were for occasional and moderate consumption.

I met a couple a few years ago who had 8 year old twins. They preferred fruit over candy. I was amazed and refreshed.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't count my kids calories. I think teaching children about healthy foods is a good thing, but I wouldn't teach them about calories. You can teach them about healthy foods by what you buy them to eat. Reading to them about foods and cooking with them are fun ways to get your kids to learn about being healthy. Counting calories just seems like pushing body images on them. I know thats not what your trying to do, but to a young kid it can seem that way.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nope, never have for my son. He can eat way way way over the amount needed to stay healthy...he's only about an inch or 2 taller than me & always was so skinny you could see ribs. No need to count anything unless you have a need.
  • RandleCassady
    RandleCassady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @dwyler21 We don't count our daughter's calories but we do keep up with what they are eating. (at least now that my wife and I are keeping up with what we eat)

Actually we have our 11 year-old logging her meals on mfp on an older ipod touch because she has type 1. We teach her to use it for the carb count though. (she also uses calorieking, and labels to find carb counts)

Our 8 year-old we have taught more along the lines of some education on macros as well. She tends to crash, attitude wise, if she gets too much sugar so we have taught her to grab some protein when she has a snack, simply because it helps her in terms of her mood.

Also as my wife and I have started going daily to exercise our 11 year old has embraced it and asked for a nike chip for her shoe. It has been a positive effect for our kids without making it a big deal in terms of calories, but instead simply talking about being healthy and how it helps our bodies feel better too.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Let the kid be a kid. You can give them a complex later on in life, like when they are in their teens. :flowerforyou:

haters-gonna-hate.jpg
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No counting calories for kids. Sure fire way to lead to an eating disorder and body image issues. Just teach healthy eating habits and focus on activity.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    No, I teach my son to make healthy food choices. He understand the importance of balancing the "bad" with the good. No foods are off limits, but moderation is key
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Let me tell you from experience, it's not a good thing. My mother put me on a diet at 9 years old (I was chubby for one year out of my whole childhood), among other things. I grew up with a very unhealthy relationship with food and calories. Teaching children about healthy foods and when to eat and stop eating is the best thing you can do.
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    If you think they would enjoy measurable evidence, why don't you make an interactive chart where they can keep track of how many servings of fruits, veggies, etc. they've eaten each day? You could base it off the food pyramid (or plate...or whatever they have these days), sort of like this:

1jrr12.jpg

I imagine you could print out some pictures of fruits, veggies, etc. and add magnets to the back and hang it on the fridge. Or maybe felt and velcro. That way, when you're preparing lunch/dinner they can go add their servings to the chart. Maybe make up the chart so there are only "spots" for the necessary number of servings -- so they'll see they need more fruits than sweets, etc. It'll teach them about healthy choices and putting the chart together each day could be like a little game for them.

I love this idea.

I do something similar for chores. :)
  • vyloran
    vyloran Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't count my daughter's calories per ce. But I keep a close eye on what she eats. Mostly because she's underweight and has been diagnosed as Failure to Thrive. She has been since she was born and she's 9 now. She needs a high fat, high calorie diet so she can get caught up a bit more with her peers. So we have to find the right balance of making sure she gets what she needs without teaching her bad habits that will lead to problems later with obesity. It's a fine line sometimes. We try to discuss it openly, nutrition and making good choices. I've actually looked for a site where I could plug in her foods easily so we can get a better account of what she takes in, but there's not many sites that don't have a weight loss element. She definitely doesn't need that. So I keep an eye on what she takes in, but I don't pressure her too much by keeping precise track of it. The minute I start pushing she digs her heels in and it becomes a struggle.
  • madowski
    madowski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Please don't teach your kids about healthy eating by counting calories. You can educate them about the kinds of foods they are eating and what is in them; how to cook or make (for a 6 year old) healthy snacks; healthy eating patterns (the rainbow plate concept is good or the USDA charts- lots of free resources on line), etc. HOWEVER, the way your children are going to learn the best???? Is by watching what you do as their parent! The more you eat healthy foods, the more your kids will follow! Make it, healthy foods, a usual in your home and the treats an exception. I have worked in the elementary schools and sadly, first grade girls (mostly girls) are already obsessed with body image thanks to society and eating disorders, dieting, unhealthy body image are emerging at that young age....
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    My kids? no they aren't overweight, I was just thinking as a teaching experience. Same as you might teach a 6 year old about spending and saving and giving money they receive as allowance for chores .

If your kids don't have weight issues, why restrict them and make them count calories???

Do you want them to have eatting disorders?

Practices what you preach.

Eat well, live active and your kids will follow.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Why not just kick the junk and feed them wholesome food that will start them on healthy habits make it fun or something :) not sure how old your kidos are
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Counting calories to meaning to lose weight? no. But I'm not sure that's what the initial poster meant.

My 6 year old knows that calories are a measure of energy. That calories come from food and are used up with activity. Like a battery. You need calories and nutrients to thrive. He often asks how much protein is in something he's eating or what vitamin a specific food item has. He even knows the basics of what those things do for our bodies. He recognizes that less nutrient-dense treats are reserved for when you have eaten an adequate amount of 'real food'. Once, we counted his calories and carbs and fats and protein and he thought reaching the goals was fun. He's thin, so it makes me happy that analyzing food gets him excited to EAT it!
  • AmandaBiggs09
    AmandaBiggs09 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Two of my three children were labeled "failure to thrive." I don't know about you but I hate that term. They thrive, they run, they play, they do everything any other kids do....their just smaller. I have kind of started to ignore the doctors to a degree. As long as my children eat healthy that's all that matters. How can you say my children who eat fruits and veggies over cookies and cakes aren't thriving? One thing my kids doctor told me to do is to make them chocolate peanut butter and banana smoothies. It adds a lot of calories and is fairly healthy and best of all they love it.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have really watched what my kids ate.

And yes I have counted calories.. but for a medical reason.

Here's a couple situations I have going on with my kids as to WHY I have to monitor their food so closely.

1. My 7 year old daughter is naturally a little more chubby then any of my other children. She has always been a little bigger than average despite being born under 6 lbs. She was very sick when she was a newborn and we almost lost her. She was on Breastmilk until she was 16 months old. Her father and I separated when she was 2, and he would feed her junk on his days he had her. I was just beginning my weight loss journey and was already very aware of food choices. Now every year when they go for school breaks she comes back 1-2 pants sizes larger than when she left. Shes 7 and wears a 10/12 in girls that I have to hem because they are about 4 inches too long for her. She now outweighs my very tall 8 year old. When she comes back from her dads I have to really push the water on her and watch the excess snacks she tries to steal and gorge on in her room! From what they tell me they eat ALOT of processed foods and ALOT of eating out, I'd say 75% of the time they eat out there. I am very concerned about her, and have been taking her shopping with me, and she also has been 'working out' to some shows on tv. I hate that she feels the need to hide snacks and such I just hate it, I don't wish obesity on anyone, especially my kids! Her life is centered around food, and I am trying to really get a hold on things before she gets into middle school. She is always wanting to know what's for dinner, and when can she get a snack. ugh :(

Now the reason I have had to actually count calories is when my son who is now 3 was diagnosed with Failure to thrive. He was strictly breastfed and at 2/3 months old he stopped gaining any weight. they tested my milk, they monitored him for a couple weeks at childrens hospital, and eventually we were sent home with a long term feeding tube. He was weighed by a home health nurse every week. This went on for about 6 months. He had gained fairly well, up until I noticed about a month ago he is lighter than my 18 month old and his ribs are sticking out. I am now making sure he is eating enough calories and fat by having the sitter write down what he eats and giving him an instant breakfast or pediasure to his meal plans everyday.

Oh and to add to the mix, my 5 year old little girl is borderline diabetic. So that's always fun too!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No, I would not want to introduce my daughters to calorie counting at such a young age, and they certainly have nothing to worry about. My oldest daughter is very tall, she is in the 95th percentile for height, so she is technically underweight according to the charts (she is below the 5th percentile in weight), but the doctor is not concerned, she continues to gain weight, her weight is low only because she grows taller so fast. Eventually it will start to level off. I just feed her as much as she needs.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Calories, no. Nutrition, yes. My (step)daughter knows better than to ask me for a treat before she's nourished herself.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If my kid was overweight I might do it but without telling them. I think focusing on the numbers at a young age is a recipe for disaster. Bad idea. Just feed them nutritious meals and make sure they're active.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    for the average healthy kid, helping them to understand with their feedback, which foods give them the most energy,
    the best fuel, works pretty well.

when they have poptarts for breakfast, by the time recess comes they are starving, and maybe don't have as much
    energy to play.

but when they have a healthy breakfast say, fruit and eggs or some other healthy food, they have more energy for playing.
    or soccer practice, whatever they like doing they want to do it, and not feel tired and hungry all the time.

this doesn't mean we aren't allowed chips or soda or cake, it just means fruits, veggies, etc give us more energy,
    so we want to eat those often.