Frustrated - any advice?

Options
Hi

I've been a MFP member for a while now and dipped in and out for various periods in that time.

Recently I've actually started taking it seriously since being diagnosed with celiacs and having many GI problems. I've started doing the 30 day shred (am on day 6) and currently weigh around 130lbs at 5'4'' tall.

My question is this: how long does it generally take to start seeing results? People are more than welcome to check out my diary to see where I'm going wrong. I seem to think I'm doing the right things but I really struggle to get the scale to move in the downwards direction. I have a really annoying pooch around my stomach that I really want rid of!

It's just so frustrating - I usually try really hard then get no results and give up :( all advice very much appreciated.

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    At 5'4 and 130, your intake is really really low. Thus, it might have worked at the start, but your body has or will go into a metabolic dive. Check out some of the TDEE calculators out there and aim for TDEE-15%, as you are fairly close to goal. Much more than that and you risk damaging your metabolism, which is a nightmare to repair :(

Also, if you are like me, the celiac diagnosis caused weight GAIN, as your body starts to actually absorb nutrients. I gained about 10-15 lbs when diagnosed. It has slowly come off, but it took a lot of work to get the scale to budge. Your body needs time to heal.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I was wondering how the celiacs might affect things. I can't blame it on buying replacement processed items either, as I don't do that. I guess that makes sense with my body absorbing things as for the first time in about a year I have energy and sleep properly and my skin is better. It'll just take time.

I calculated my BMR as 1394.4 and TDEE as 1666, and according to the calculator Pu linked me to, that should be 1499.4 that I should reach each day. It just seems weird to be eating more when I've already gained weight!
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would tell you to put the scale away. Seriously, don't get on the scale again for at least 30 days. Based on what I see in your diary you could probably eat a little more calories but as long as you have calculated your BMR/TDEE, you have a good baseline. I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but you sure don't need to eat less calories.

I can tell you that I ate on a 1400 cals a day for 2 months (I'm 6'1 and weighed 224) while I was doing Insanity and I didn't lose a single pound in month one. However, at the end of month 3, I was down 14 lbs. Stay the course. If you aren't seeing results in 35 days, make small adjusts and continue.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I was wondering how the celiacs might affect things. I can't blame it on buying replacement processed items either, as I don't do that. I guess that makes sense with my body absorbing things as for the first time in about a year I have energy and sleep properly and my skin is better. It'll just take time.

I calculated my BMR as 1394.4 and TDEE as 1666, and according to the calculator Pu linked me to, that should be 1499.4 that I should reach each day. It just seems weird to be eating more when I've already gained weight!

Okay eat 1,500 a day. If you don't eat enough you will more than likely stall out. I you eat too much you will stall out.

you have to change your mind set. There is nothing to give up if this is part of your life. You just do it, there is no option o give up. I know you're not at that point yet, but let me tell you this. To get there, let go of all your negative thoughts. Don't focus on "weight loss" focus on improving your health and building habits, strengthen them.

Why did you exercise today(or whatever day you did)? To lose weight is the wrong answer. The right answer is to develop the habit so i can do this the rest of my life. This takes patient, so get the "quick weight loss" ting out of your head. Be patient, and let the results come. If you get no results in a month, then reduce calories by 10%.

Also keep in mind, people gain weight all the time, weight fluctuates, you might even gain a few lbs more, but it will come off again if you stick with it. Don't worry, it's normal.

Thanks - that seems like sound advice to me. I do want to do this as a lifestyle rather than just to lose weight per se - I'd love to be at the stage where I can compete in a 10k or half marathon, and be physically very fit. I think when I initially joined I was just in the 1200 calorie mindset and it's just sort of stuck over the years... it's a bad habit to get in to. I'll change my calories in the settings and then go from there.

Other than the 30 day shred I don't really know what would be best to do as additional workouts. I did invest in some hand weights the other day - I'm a student and I tend to do my workouts at home, but if I could combine it with something else that may also help. I see people with awesome results on here who look physically really fit - and that just seems impossible for me to achieve at the moment. Oh, and I don't own any scales - I tend to go by clothing and inches :)