Scales that measure body fat/water %

Options
Are these accurate or do they just estimate based on your stats? I got some the other day and you program in your sex, age and height before weighing so more accurate than just a simple number I suppose but still, can this number be trusted or do I need to get the body fat calipers out again?

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have a WW set of scales that do this. In theory they pass a minute electrical current from the sensors on the scales up through the body and variations in the resistance give it the fat and water %. So there is some science involved. But I suspect that it is a guide rather than full on accurate measurements. I do find it a useful tool and I track my increases in water and decreases in fat. Hope this helps.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    I have found these scales are excellent when it comes to measuring hydration levels. However, for body fat % estimation, I would stick with having this determined at a gym or somewhere else.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE

I'm using this model. It's accurate ENOUGH for some sort of gauge in the right direction. True nothing beats double Xray or Hydrostatic, but this works for me for my weekly weigh-ins.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I don't need to know the exact number but if it's going down consistently then I suppose that's a good sign!