Workouts - Do Sweatbands Help Keep Hair Clean?

Options
...granted...they look dorky...but i am more interested in if they absorb enough sweat and keep it from settling into your hair to justify looking dory for that hour at the gym? I only shampoo once every 3 or 4 days and do "maintenance" the other days on my hairstyle.

Do they help? Do you wear one? Would you wear one? How dorky are they?!?!

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Would imagine they're not much different than the ball caps & visors I wear at times...your whole head sweats, not just where the sweatband is. Anything on my head feels like it's holding in the heat, which makes me sweat more. Also, it presses the hair under it against my head, into the sweat, which makes my hair absorb more. I just pull my hair back in a loose ponytail, w/some barrettes on the sides to keep it out of my face. That seems to work best for me.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Your whole head sweats, no it doesn't keep your hair clean

they are really just used by alot in the place of headbands to keep hair back, and to stop that dreaded sweat from head down to face, into eyes scenario.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    I have to wash my hair daily because I can't stand the smell of sweaty hair! :grumble:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    SWEAT RUNS DOWN< NOT UP!! Sweatbands keep sweat out of your eyes, not your hair!!!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Erm

1) Who said sweatbands are dorky? And who cares what people think? Do you think, eg, tennis players think what fashion freaks say about their outfit? No, they wear what they want to wear and/or what their sponsors want them to wear. The only think that's dorky is the fact that you or someone else makes fun of an athlete like Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal, when they are getting paid to wear clothes or sweatbands or watches.

2) No, sorry. Wash your hair.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Its not good for your hair to wash it with shampoo daily but what you can do instead, cause obviously them sweatbands ain't gonna keep it clean, is to do what is called a co'wash or conditioner wash. Just put in conditioner like it were shampoo, gently massage and wash out. This should get rid of any smell without stripping your hair of its needed nutrients and natural oils. Otherwise you'd be having overly dry and stringy hair in no time if you keep washing it with harsh shampoo... unless of course you got that super strong, super thick stranded hair that is invincible!!! lol :D
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    unless of course you got that super strong, super thick stranded hair that is invincible!!! lol :D

:laugh: yes I do ....

I might try washing it with conditioner but my hair gets greasy really quick so I try to use as little conditioner as possible.

I might just shave it all off!! :grumble: :laugh:
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    unless of course you got that super strong, super thick stranded hair that is invincible!!! lol :D

:laugh: yes I do ....

I might try washing it with conditioner but my hair gets greasy really quick so I try to use as little conditioner as possible.

I might just shave it all off!! :grumble: :laugh:

Its most likely greasy because you wash it to much :D. Your hair is desperately trying to replace all the oils and natural goodies its suppose to have... But if you're gonna do it, use organic shampoo lessens the damage. I have troubesome hair and its wicked curly and it hates me so I have to have an intensive hair regimen, more than my workout regimen lol! If only I had like east asian hair... people of east asian decent can pretty much burn their hair, light it on fire, triple bleach it and that stuff will still feel silky smooth lol.... damn genetics to hell!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every day, usually after the gym session. Headbands are designed to stop sweat dripping onto your face and into your eyes, not keep your hair clean. Even for a sedentary individual washing their hair every 4 days is gross, let alone a gym enthusiast. Just my opinion.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the dry shampoos? Does it work? What brand?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Yeah I'm with the others, what's so "dorky" about sweatbands? I buy moisture wicking headbands from lulu, and they do a great job. They can't keep your hair clean, but they'll keep sweat out of your eyes and face.

I think your issue might be that you're working out on your lunch break or something? If that's the case, I think there are sprays for that. I don't use them, so I don't know, but that's a question for you to ask about.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :)
  • alayahlan
    alayahlan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week as well. I used to wash it every day, but that sent my head into oil making overdrive. Some days it would be slicked down and gross again before the end of the day. The conditioner only wash never worked well for me, but cutting back on washings has helped tremendously. I don't naturally sweat a lot when working out. I can't even fathom sweating enough that it would get into my eyes. Usually only the nape of my neck gets damp. A few times when I had really short hair, I'd get a lone drop of sweat running down my back during a really intense workout. Now my hair is longer I don't have that issue, I just pull my hair into a pony tail. It seems to wick up all the sweat. I've never had a problem with my hair smelling bad after sweating, only under arms.

I do use Dove Dry Shampoo in between washings on occasion. It smells great and does get rid of the oily look. It makes my hair feel kind of dry though, so I almost always opt for some sort of updo when I use it, usually a braid or a bun.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Keep dry shampoo in your gym kit. If you don't hav time to wash you hair spray that on and it helps it smell fresher and look cleaner
  • CJH2201
    CJH2201 Posts: 24
    Options
    Dry shampoo is definitely your friend! I wash my hair every other day, and dry shampoo it the days in between. Works for me.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    5K's daily here...started out wearing headband to keep the sweat pourin in my eyes but then the sun was too bright so now I just wear a cap and that keeps me in the shade :glasses: :happy:
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would try a dry shampoo. I use, and have been very happy with, Rockaholic Dirty Little Secret. Recently I saw a commercial for Garnier Fructis' dry shampoo. I am going to give that one a try next time since it is much cheaper.
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I use dry shampoo! I absolutely can not wash my hair everyday or it gets very dry/frizzy/crazy! I use Suave dry shampoo which works and is inexpensive!! :bigsmile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use Dove dry shampoo - my hair is black, but that dry shampoo makes my hair look white! what is up with that?