I cant give up .. please help!

Options
I started on Jan 2nd this year . I've went from 207 to 186 .I lost 20 pounds pretty fast in the first month and a half I'd say. I wasnt loosing much after that but then it came time to measure again I was super happy to see I didnt loose weight but had lost another 8 inches, making that 17 inches over all. I have only lost 2 lbs in 5 weeks I bet 1/2 lb here and there. It came time to measure again and I am down only 2 inches in a month. in that time I did up my calories another 200 making it 1400 now. I do work out most days I do Tae Bo dvds and now that the weather has been nice I have started power walking ( not much of a runner)
One thing i have been confused on is when I do Tae Bo MFP calculates it as 645 cal burned ... now I have heard MFP can be a bit off in calculations , But am I suppose to eat the calories I have burned??
Cause I dont! Im really good about getting my calories in and having balanced meals. ( if you look at my diary this week has not been great go back further. since my weigh in I almost have a heck with it attitude! BUT I DONT WANT TO GIVE UP!
So this is my plea!! What can i do different???
Thank you for your replies :)

Replies

• beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers will tell you to start eating exercise calories if you are stuck in a plateau, (to jumpstart your metabolism.) It worked for my sister but not for me. Everyone is different I guess. One thing that WILL work is strengthening. Buy a kettlebell that includes a workout video. They are usually a fun 20 min workout, and will help build muscle and burn fat. Go to a a place like MC sports - it's cheaper and usually get a variety pack. Target will charge $40-$50 for one!
    I decided to update my BFP yesterday and was surprised to see it down 7% since my weight has not changed in months. I am finally in a size 8 so I knew something had changed!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of giving up as an option. You are working towards a healthier life. That is something that takes time and is not totally dependent on the numbers on the scale.
  • GretchenB02
    GretchenB02 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Look for NSV (non scale victories). My scale isn't moving, but I am feeling firmer.

I would eat back my exercise calories.

You got this girl!

I just restarted my weight loss journey and if I would have just completed it the first time I wouldn't be back here.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You are still making progress, why the defeatist attitude? You probably didn't gain the weight at a rate higher than a 1/4 pound per week, that is a healthy pace. As a society our "I want it now" attitude has really made us impatient with everything. Weight loss doesn't work that way. I suppose that is why so many quit,they can't have it "now"'. Not only can you do this, YOU ARE DOING IT! Don't quit!!!!!!!!!!! And as an aside, I think you are probably under eating. Someone will post the link to the " in place of a road map" thread,find it, read it, live it.
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know I keep telling myself dont look at the number on the scale .. thats when I was shocked to see the inches i have dropped. and since the numbers werent changing much I guess I was hoping to see a bigger number for inches this time around also. I got discouraged with a 2 ... I am happy its all in the right direction though :)
    Thank you for your reply :)
  • lippygidg
    Options
    Funny I have been thinking about getting one of those. I have to go there anyway for some other things for my son I'll check them out ... Thanks:)
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there :)

I have to say I agree with the others. Maybe what will help is a mindset change. Don't just look at numbers for results, ask yourself how you feel. Do you feel healthier? Can you do your workouts without getting as out of breath as before? Do you have more confidence in yourself? Those are the things that should matter. This is a lifestyle change not just a diet just to loose weight and the thing that should matter the most is how healthy you are and become. So don't get yourself down in the dumps and talk some crazy talk about giving up because that's not an option. Good luck and add me as friend if you every need a positive boost :) Feel amazing about how far you have come and celebrate a new lifestyle and your road to a healthy you :)

Sending you loads of positive energy!!!!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I find that even if I don't lose weight I do lose inches.
  • lippygidg
    Options
    Awwe THANK YOU! that actually made me tear up :) lol your right. I guess we get spoiled to the pounds dropping off in the beginning like its always going to be that way. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong or if I should be eating the calories burned. like maybe i am under eating ?? I wouldnt feel bad if it was only 2 wks with no changes but I think I got "freaked out" because its been like 5 or 6.
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me when I'm getting discouraged is to take a picture and put it side by side with my starting picture. Give it a try, I'd be surprised if it didn't put a smile on your face :happy:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least half of your exercise calories back - your body needs the fuel to do those great workouts!
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally agree that I have to believe that giving up is not an option. :smile:
  • Buzymomof_3
    Buzymomof_3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First off - you're still loosing, so you're going in the right direction! Have you seen the movie Hidalgo? Kind of reminds me of weight loss, the horses all start of running but very quickly slow to a walk, because it's a long distance race and you can't run the whole way. You started your first 90 days fast and it it excited and motivated you. Now you're coming into the long and steady part of the race. But as long as you keep going forward, you will make it to the finish line. Keep up your food diary being extremely honest. Look at the measurements and watch them go down. And when those numbers (which are just numbers by the way) aren't moving as fast as you would like, try and think of all the other good things going on in your body that you can't see. Your blood pressure, blood sugars, your muscles developing, your brain getting enough nutrients to keep sharp. Your ability to move easier and keep up with life instead of huffing and puffing. YOU ARE GETTING HEALTHIER!

So - Keep up the good work - focus on other benefits and don't stop. As long as you're not re-gaining (small swings excluded), you're going to make it.

If you really want help, you also need to open your food diary so others can maybe spot a reason why.

Good Luck!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf <-and this pretty much sums it all up.

Long story short, you suppressed your metabolism, eat more, I've seen this a million times, it will work.

Not sure exactly how weight loss works?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637094-cinderella-s-weight-loss-knowledge
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You sound like me a year ago.

I dropped a ton a weight the first month and then got stuck the next couple. First it is not uncommon to drop a lot when you first start. This is most likely due to water weight, I dropped 10 lbs in one week, and the biggest change was drink more water. Keep in mind that there is a bunch of things that can cause the scale to not show the work you have been doing.

If you are too repetitive with food and exercise your body can get stuck. My suggestion is mix things up, try to shake your body out of what it is doing. A shock to it could be all your body needs to drop a bunch.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Instead of lowering calories why not try to eat healthier? Every year I do a detox fasting. Yes, it's hard to do but afterwards I feel so amazingly healthy and clean. I also do it with a colonics and it really cleans you out of all the bad toxins in your body and might give you the jump start you need to get going again. they have the juicing film that is very interesting to watch. You can stream it for free at http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/. Also, look into getting rid of all the processed foods that actually hinder you health and weight lose.

This is just a suggestion, I'm not a doctor but ever since I started detoxing, and reducing processed foods and increasing fresh fruits, veggies and, lean meats, I noticed that my hair and skin look a lot healthier and I feel a lot better and I don't get sick nearly as often. I haven't had a cold in a year! Good luck and thanks for adding me :)
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Your brain is your worst enemy at times. It will tell you that you are in pain if it wants drugs. It will tell you that you will starve if you don't give it junk food, even after your stomach is on the verge of exploding. It will drive you out at midnight to get it a cigarette. It will make you physically ill to get what it wants. Its like being in a fight for your life. Keep it confused, off balance. Don't get into a routine. Every 3 weeks, change tactics with a totally different type of workout. ie power lifting. actually punching/kicking a heavy bag as opposed to air in TaeBo. Here is a real interesting article http://www.womansday.com/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923. I am sure your significant other would be more than willing to help you out here. Use your imagination.
    My daughter started P90X at Thanksgiving and has consistantly lost 1.4 lbs/week since then. She feels the consistancy comes from the program changing every 3 weeks. Her husband started at the same time and is averaging 2.1 lbs/week. It most likely took you 20 years to put on your extra weight. It is not going away in a short time. Something I have yet to do. And I have lost 50 lbs in 30 days @ one time when I was in my 40's. I have over 30 witnesses to that fact.so, It is not a fairy-tale. Only to be wound back up the yo-yo to over 280 lbs again. I have done it to myself over and over again. Just stay with it. Surround yourself with those who support you and shed those people who would bring you down. Especially that little devil in your head who will never cease to temp you toward defeat by giving up.
  • lippygidg
    Options
    Yes I have done that ... it worked for me last month when I measured :) And wow you look GREAT! Congrats !!
    I would post my picture but I cant ever get it to work!
  • lippygidg
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE! This has been so helpful. Im usually a reader on here not a poster glad I did it. You have all helped. Please add me as a friend if you would like. Hopefully you have open food diaries I can get new ideas.
    Maybe Im in a food rut too :P
    Good luck to you all!