Lifting weights at home (men) - Where to start ?

Options
My boyfriend wants to get in shape, wants to develop upper body strength and muscles.
He's seen me do CLX, Les Mills Combat and I am starting LM Pump next week..
He is not the DVD type of guy..
How to find online or maybe on here a program for weight lifting (dumbbells-barbells) for beginners ?
I found a few sites but it's mostly suggesting exercises, not really found any written programs.
Thanx !

Replies

• RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but Stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start. Its free online
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    Would recommend a basic full body routine to begin with although does depend on what equipment he as available.

There are loads of routines on the web so try a few of these:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training
    http://www.exrx.net/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw101.htm

Basically, pick a compound move for each of the following with a 3x8-12 set and rep range and you can't go far wrong:

Horizontal push
    Horizontal pull
    Vertical push
    Vertical pull
    Quad dominant
    Ham Dominant
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but Stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start. Its free online

This this this this this.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend wants to get in shape, wants to develop upper body strength and muscles.

Don't let him skip leg day.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i'm a dvd type of guy, i have a pull up bar, power blocks and push up thingy. i've seen good progress by this equipment i'm assuming that this will be a good progress for your husband too
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

NOBODY thinks chicken legs with big biceps are sexy.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

NOBODY thinks chicken legs with big biceps are sexy.
    hugh-jackman-skinny-legs.jpg
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago (7) I was a complete gym/lifting novice ......... I'd never stepped foot in a gym and had certainly never lifted any weights. I did loads of research online and decided to do StrongLifts 5x5 and I am so glad I did! When I first started the empty bar seemed really heavy to me (i was a complete weakling)and now I'm dead lifting the equivalent of my own body weight and squatting almost my bodyweight and it feels easy. I'm certainly getting stronger and I can see a change in my body composition.

I haven't got any experience of any other lifting routines but I chose StrongLifts because all the compound moves you do over a week, work every muscle group and you see strength gains as well as body changes. There are plenty of videos online to help with getting form right, which is THE most important aspect of SL ........ You MUST use correct form.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    female here, and just starting out with New Rules of Lifting for Women. before that book, the author wrote "New Rules of Lifting", (that one was geared towards men) and if it's written anywhere near as well as the women's, it'll be enjoyable and interesting.

anyhow, i'm hoping he's doing some of his own research - because no matter how often i hint at my hubby about there being weights downstairs, and that he should read the nutrition section of the lifting book, at least, he's got his own ideas, and it'll probably take a major success on my part before he will give it a go... i just have to fight him on his quest of limiting protein in our diet (of all food groups - grrrrr)