what does flaxseed do for you???

kalebsmama07
kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
what is and what does flaxseed do?

Replies

• alexi2403
    alexi2403 Posts: 1
    Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber including lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids. Flax seeds may lower cholesterol levels, especially in women. Initial studies suggest that flax seeds taken in the diet may benefit individuals with certain types of breast and prostate cancers.

A study done at Duke suggests that flaxseed may stunt the growth of prostate tumors, although a meta-analysis found the evidence on this point to be inconclusive. Flax may also lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels. There is some support for the use of flax seed as a laxative due to its dietary fiber content[6] though excessive consumption without liquid can result in intestinal blockage.

Consuming large amounts of flax seed may impair the effectiveness of certain oral medications, due to its fiber content, and may have adverse effect due to its content of neurotoxic cyanogen glycosides and immuno-suppressive cyclic nonapeptides.

i.e. its awesome stuff, just sprinkle some onto food (not too much) and your away...
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    In addition to what was said above, flax seed is rich in phytochemicals and many antioxidants. The lignans convert in your intestines to substances which balance female hormones, helping reduce perimenopausal symptoms. Although it is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, to use it as a sole source can result in 6-LA deficiency. So, make sure to include other oils (such as sesame or sunflower which are higher in 6-LA) in your diet as well. It is a good anti inflammatory and suggested as a supplement for people with gout, arthritis, and lupus.
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    I don't have anything to add to the other two posts as far as the scientific aspects of flax seed but I thought I should add that your body cannot digest whole flax seeds so make sure they are ground or in oil form. And keep it in the fridge because it can spoil fairly easily.
  • kalebsmama07
    kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
    I don't have anything to add to the other two posts as far as the scientific aspects of flax seed but I thought I should add that your body cannot digest whole flax seeds so make sure they are ground or in oil form. And keep it in the fridge because it can spoil fairly easily.

is it okay if its in instant oatmeal i bought with it already in it?
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    I imagine that would be fine. They probably account for that when they package it.
This discussion has been closed.