Alcohol - your opinions

Options
1235»

Replies

• kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Realistically you aren't putting on 2lbs of fat, the alcohol is making you retain water... load up on your water, and you will have a lose by Friday..just my two cents.

I love beer, it may be my favorite thing in life -- actually no, that's cupcakes - so I won't give it up.
    Maybe find a lower cal beer or alcohol if you don't want to give it up?
  • simpsona5
    simpsona5 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me that doeas this. Its not so much the drink but the bad food that tends to go with it. I have learnt not to worry so much as by the Tuesday I'm back down to the pre-weekend weight and then make further weight loss before the next weekend.

So long as I keep heading in the right direction I'm Happy to blow a bit at the weekend.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't log alcohol, but probably would if my habit was to drink beer or add stuff like tonic water and orange juice. A shot of straight alcohol, no added sugar although made from fermented sugars, is about one hundred calories, and I almost never have more than two shots in a day, with almost none of it before dinner. As for water intake, one glass before each of the three daily meals and one glass for every shot of alcohol. Also, sometimes a cup of peppermint tea at the end of the day to soothe the gallbladder during sleep. I'm presently at three pounds below my ideal weight.
  • yourstylistami
    Options
    Alcohol does not turn to fat. It can not be stored by the body. Your body spends all of its energy trying to get rid of alcohol after you drink and therefore can not burn fat while doing so. Alcohol itself is rarely the problem (this is why you see skinny alcoholics. However alcohol increases appetite in many people, either the day of or day after drinking. Also, alcohol is often mixed with soda or juice which adds empty calories. Therefore it is not the alcohol itself, but the added food/mixer calories that truly cause the problem.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am currently stuck in a dieting vicious circle.... Every weekend I am virtuous with logging and calorie consumption, and if I weigh on a Friday morning I can easily shift 1-2lbs without a problem. However, at the weekends I tend to be more lax with my logging, especially when it comes to alcohol and sure enough, I have usually put on 2lbs by Monday morning.

Not only is this annoying, I cant imagine its very healthy and I wanted to hear your thoughts on alcohol and how damaging it can be to a good diet? ...

Sounds like you already have your answer :smile:

I would avoid it.
  • error_number_404
    Options
    not much of a prob for me. i do shots of straight liquor or put it in diet soda and count it as dinner instead of having a meal. im a lightweight so it only adds up to about 300 calories by the time im wasted lol.
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    I live in a big drinking town and when I go out I do drink more than I should but what I do is I work out extra before I go out and I try to dance to at least three songs between each drink if I can. but if that doesn't work try drinking tons of water and do extra workouts the next day no matter how hung over you are
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I had about 8-10 shots of vodka late last night. How I'm feeling right now is reason enough for me to know I don't want to do this all the time.

I'm normally really good 95% of the time, so when I have a day like this I don't beat myself up over it. And like I said, I don't feel fabulous today like I have the past week, and I want to feel fabulous.

I do drink wine though, about 1-2 glasses maybe 3 times a week. I'm perfectly content with that level of consumption. Red wine is good for you anyway in moderation. :smile:
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up alcohol. There is around 650 - 680 calories in one bottle of wine. If I know I'm going to drink, I just make sure I don't go over my calorie intake for the day. However, to me its not the alcohol that's bad, its the munchies that goes along with the wine. :)
  • hockey247
    hockey247 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is such a hot topic with me and my friends right now. We all work stressful jobs where happy hours and drinking is not frowned upon but almost expected and all of us drink moderately and in the past-- extreme. I am happy to say that I no longer abuse alcohol to help with stress, I stopped drinking beer during the week last year and lost NOTHING. My other friend used to drink an entire bottle of wine a night and she stopped and lost nothing as well.

However it brings up interesting points. If one was to give up soda, they would lose weight. Someone mentioned that the calories from a night out of drinking would be like eating cookies and I agree but my body doesn't. If I EVER ate the caloric equivalent in cookies to the calories consumed from some of the beer I drink-- I would gain immediately.

So, I don't believe its a diet killer unless the behavior leads you to make poor food decisions or feel so horrible the next day that you completely mess up the nice rhythm you had going on before the splurge.

Also, once I was doing an extreme diet and was struggling with the last 5 lbs. I added 4 oz of red wine at night and I hit my goal.

Either way, I personally want to begin to eliminate alcohol. I feel better without it but I can't say I am going to stop.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's going to be tough to have a social life at 26 without drinking alcohol. When you drink soda water or a diet coke at a bar, someone will point it out, and make you feel out of place. I was a hardcore beer drinker when I became disgusted with how fat i was. I drank 12-24 beers a week. I LOVED:heart: drinking beer, BSing with other beer drinkers, drinking a brew with dinner, after dinner, before dinner...I was so disgusted with my fat self, and so ready for a change, I cut that stuff out cold turkey. I lost 10 lbs in two weeks. I never really wanted to go back...I've probably had 10 beers in the last two years.
    You don't have to give it up completely, but it will help. It's your choice.