Day of rest.

Options
I generally have one day a week when I don't exercise. Sometimes I'll practice yoga, but mostly I don't track calories burned on that day. However, on those days I generally go over my 1200 (like I do on most days).

Should I take in less calories on those days I do not exercise...those rest days? Are those "rest days" really "cheat days?" Also, I'm really on maintenance right now, but haven't really changed my diet or exercise since making it to my goal weight.

I just don't want to stress over extra calories eaten by not eating enough. I just need help thinking about this is a healthier way.

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You could eat about 10% below maintenance and on one of your workout days eat 10% above maintenance. Don't so much think of daily calories but weekly average.
  • Strokes_and_Lathers
    Strokes_and_Lathers Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find it better for me to look at my calorie intake, macro and micros for the entire week instead of each day. THis will help agreat deal. IMO

edit: like the above poster said, weekly average!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Depends what you do the rest of the week.

I used to eat back calories, so would just eat base calories on my rest days. Now I eat at TDEE which incorporates my weekly exercise so I eat a set calorie level every day including rest days.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Since 1200 net calories is probably too few, I say eat more every day.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Of course! Thanks. This is very helpful. I almost never eat back my calories so I think I can truly "rest" without "cheating."
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat my 1700 calories on rest days (I go to the gym 3x a week for an hour, and have a rest day in between. On the weekends where there's the 2 day period I workout at home.) On the days I go to the gym I burn anywhere from 600 to 1000 calories, and I eat most of them back. Of course I'm eating a lot of food on those days to make up for the deficit, so on my rest days it feels like I'm eating less than I normally am, even though it works out to the same amount of calories every day. As long as you remain in a deficit, you will continue to lose weight, so there is no need to lower your calories on rest days. :

ETA: just re-read and realize you were on maintenance. Oh well, it's good advice for someone who is still losing! lol Congrats on your loss!
  • kistockman
    Options
    Oh no....thanks. I needed to know this for maintenance as well. I have a tendency to challenging myself in unhealthy ways by seeing how low I can go. Committing to maintenance helps me commit to being healthy. You see how I wondered if I should be eating less instead of eating more? I can pretty easily go into starvation mode so maintenance keeps me from doing that.

Thanks again. :)
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you are doing yoga I would still log it!
  • kistockman
    Options
    If you are doing yoga I would still log it!

Yes, I'm logging yoga also. I think I am going to begin that 30 day squat tomorrow to target some inches. So that will be more logging.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Rest days should be rest days. Stretching is good to loosen up worked muscles, but no working out. If you are eating your calories keep doing it.....it doesn't hurt, and actually helps keep your metabolism working.

Muscles need to rest to actually be made stronger, firmer, and to burn properly. If you feel you have to do something, go on a light leisurely walk...it's good for the mind which needs some regrouping too to help communicate with the muscles.