Crispy Kale Chips recipe - low calorie high nutrition

Options

Replies

• safranita
    safranita Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Kale is awesome! At first I didn't think I'd like it and then I made the chips....they were great! then I learned to saute it, that was great too!

It really pays to experiment and not give up and dive head first into a bag of Doritos!! Am I right!?!? :bigsmile:

Oh! ........p.s. use the Himalayan Sea Salt - 30 trace minerals and iron - hey! makes a difference!!

You are so right! Chips have been my demon, but since the kale crispies,. I haven't succumbed to the seduction of the crunch.... thanks for the Himalayan sea salt tip,. too. I hope everyone reads that. It is important and we're learning from each other. Thanks again.
  • safranita
    Options
    I am obsessed with kale chips. I use just a quick spritz of olive oil spray (way fewer calories) and lots of garlic powder (not garlic salt) and cayenne. They are DELICIOUS and so light on calories. I can eat a ton without feeling bad about it or caving to my salty-snack cravings.

OMG more brilliant variations on the kale chips. Thanks so much for sharing. Some of the ideas are so simple yet, "Duh why didn't I think of olive oil spray?!" And I love the idea of adding garlic (wonder if granulated will work?) and cayenne for a little kick. Woo hoo!
  • safranita
    Options
    These sound delicious !
    I will be trying this, this week !

Thanks so much !

Please share after you make them! Any tips and/or your variations will be gratefully accepted by all the kale-lovers out here.
  • safranita
    Options
    omg--I LOVE kale chips!!

yay another kale chip devotee. Is there any special way you make them?
  • mags8726
    mags8726 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love kale chips! Before I bake them I toss them in a little balsamic or red wine vinegar and a touch of olive oil and they taste like salt and vinegar potato chips! Delicious!
  • lbpslah
    lbpslah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump!! I have some Kale that I tried to put in my protein shake this morning, BAD IDEA!!! My Ninja did a pretty good job chopping it up, but I could still feel it?!?! DIdn't really care for it!!
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Love Kale and Love Kale Chips! Kale is Always a must have at home at all times! I never run out!
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump!! I have some Kale that I tried to put in my protein shake this morning, BAD IDEA!!! My Ninja did a pretty good job chopping it up, but I could still feel it?!?! DIdn't really care for it!!
    Bummer to hear that:( I use Kale every morning in my Protein Smoothie and I love it. Dont even taste it. How much do you use and what do you mix it with?
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I always think about buying kale, but then never do. This recipe may help me remember :)
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    BUMP! Love Kale - Need to try this!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Baked Kale Chips
    photo: http://www.eatingrules.com/2010/08/baked-kale-chips/

Ingredients
    2 cups kale leaves
    1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    several pinches sea salt

Instructions
    1. Wash and dry the kale. Tear or cut the leaves into pieces, cutting out the tough center stem.
    2. Toss the leaves with the olive oil, and then sprinkle on a few pinches of sea salt.
    3. Lay the leaves on a cookie sheet (see pic below) and bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Careful, though: If you bake them too briefly they won’t get crispy, but go too long and they’ll be burned. Check them at 9 minutes, and if they’re not crispy yet, give them a couple more minutes and check again. You may need to pull some out sooner than others.
    4. enjoy!
    Thanks! :smile:
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    saving to try later!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    When I first heard about kale chips I thought they'd be wonderful. I use kale in my veggie soup and smoothies. But the chips were not even edible IMO. They were in the oven way longer than the recipe said and never did get to what I would call crisp. They were somewhat dried but very tough...not light and crispy like a chip at all. My sister suggested that perhaps I need to use a different variety of kale. She grows 3 or 4 kinds in her garden (alas in California...across the country from me). I've only ever seen the one kind here...a dark greyish green and the leaves are quite thick. Until I can locate another variety..perhaps this summer at farmer markets... I won't be trying it again.
  • safranita
    Options
    Love kale chips! Before I bake them I toss them in a little balsamic or red wine vinegar and a touch of olive oil and they taste like salt and vinegar potato chips! Delicious!

That's another great suggestion. Thanks!
  • safranita
    Options

Do you think you'll try Kale chips? I've made them with the olive oil spray and even without salt, I think it's pretty tasty.
  • safranita
    Options
    Love Kale and Love Kale Chips! Kale is Always a must have at home at all times! I never run out!

Do you use fresh? I thought I'd be "clever" and bought Trader Joe's frozen - beautiful picture of kale leaves on the front, but inside totally chopped up kale! Whoops - won't really work for the chips.. :(
  • safranita
    Options
    I always think about buying kale, but then never do. This recipe may help me remember :)

Please share how you prepare it and how you like it after you try the recipe, okay?
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've made some trying various seasonings. Teriyaki/soy sauce (amino acids are a healthier alternative), granulated garlic, cumin. SO GOOD and so many options! I do suggest eating them right away, though. I made a huge batch but it didn't keep well, even a few hours later. They just got soft a tough.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I first heard about kale chips I thought they'd be wonderful. I use kale in my veggie soup and smoothies. But the chips were not even edible IMO. They were in the oven way longer than the recipe said and never did get to what I would call crisp. They were somewhat dried but very tough...not light and crispy like a chip at all. My sister suggested that perhaps I need to use a different variety of kale. She grows 3 or 4 kinds in her garden (alas in California...across the country from me). I've only ever seen the one kind here...a dark greyish green and the leaves are quite thick. Until I can locate another variety..perhaps this summer at farmer markets... I won't be trying it again.

I would also suggest trying another variety if you ever get a chance. The kind I get has very intricately ribbed leaves and isn't very thick. It worked perfectly for the chips. I actually overcooked the first batch because they got crispy much faster than I expected.