Boredom eating

Options
I can't stop boredom eating! I do it all the time, especially in the evenings.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with boredom eating?

Replies

• SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    just as a general approach to breaking a habit you're trying to get rid of, switching up your surroundings might help, or breaking a routine with something new.

example: you can start going somewhere around the time you'd usually start the habit.
    or if it is indeed boredom eating, find a way to not be bored lol, find an engaging activity for that part of the day!

good luck
  • im418
    im418 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I have boredom eating as well. I've found keeping fruits, sugar free gum and water around me really helps because even when i'm snacking its healthy food. Hope that helps
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to do this A LOT. I think I stopped when I stopped to think if I was really hungry or not. Sometimes I drink half a bottle of water to find out. Usually the water was all I wanted and I continue on.
    It's hard at first, but it gets easier. If it's too hard at first, I snacked only on 100 calorie packs. Less guilt lol
    Good luck!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I make sure to plan my day ahead of time, so I know if I have room or not for snacks. Also, if I ask myself the question "What am I hungry for?" I can determine if I'm feeling "real" or "fake" hunger. If I want a specific food, then the hunger isn't real, but if I'm open to a variety of options, then I am experiencing real hunger. Also, if I'm really that bored, I try to exercise instead of eat:)
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I want to eat a bag of Doritos so badly right now and am resisting! iI's midnight I don't need to...I distract myself (MFP!) until I can fall asleep.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    simply don't have the food you'd normally eat in the house. GET THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! That sounds harsh and maybe even rude, but it's just the reality. If you have to bordem eat, eat something really good for you :) I try to stick to nuts/seeds, fruit, a block of tofu (yes I love tofu with ginger) etc.

The best thing I did to hit my habit was to DRINK MORE WATER! You will be amazed how much it reduces your need to snack... your body is thirsty but you're just mistaking the signs most likely.

Good luck!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Don't buy snack food in the first place.
    Brush your teeth early.
    Have a filling healthy snack, like natural peanut butter on an apple
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    find a hobby to do when youre bored other than eating.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

One that uses your hands a lot, or requires them to stay clean. Playing the piano and crocheting work brilliantly for me.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

One that uses your hands a lot, or requires them to stay clean. Playing the piano and crocheting work brilliantly for me.

You, I like you :flowerforyou:
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Recognizing that you are boredom eating is actually a pretty good step - that's half the battle right there.

Now for some (un)helpful advice

1. Don't get bored!
    2. Make yourself follow a rule - before any snack, I'll drink 0.5l of water, then wait ten mins, then snack. Not sure exactly why, but this should help
    3. If you are counting calories, think about how many you are "wasting" when you could be eating something so much better in an hour or so.
    4. I also find that working out (even a light workout of any sort) makes me want to eat less too