Target Weight Range

JStarnes
JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
In advance - sorry if this has been asked before, and also for any typo's.

Ok, so where do you all get your goal weight from? Like the actual number? I was looking at the 'tools' on here & under the BMI it gives you a 'range' of healthy weights. My Dr. gave me a 'healthy weight' of 155 but I'm curious as to where she got that number from. If I add the lowest & highest weights in my healthy 'range' & divide by 2 (to get the avg) it gives me 151 (pretty close to the weight she gave me). Is the lower number for a shorter/smaller framed person & the higher number for a taller/larger framed person?

Your thoughts?

Replies

• SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    I totally see what you are saying. MFP says between 125-140lbs for me, but my doctor says 120- 135lbs. Both possible, but I can't imagine anything below 130. My advice would be to stick with the healthy BMI. From everything that I've learned BMI is the way to go. My goal weight is 135-138lbs so it's with in the MFP range. However having a decent BMI would be more important to me.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    according to getting my average in my healthy range I should be 122 pounds...but Im still shooting for 115. I know where Ive been before, tho, and I know what would make me comfortable vs what would make me happy. Besides the fact that if I aim for a lower weight itd be acceptable to hover at a higher one anyway
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    I have a larger frame, so 107lbs for me would not work at a height of 5'4". I try to go by bmi as well, and keep closer to 130lbs. My range being 107lbs-147lbs.
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Hmm, for me, I went off what my Wii fit told me. It says 131 is an ideal weight for me. I chose 135 since last time I was 130 I felt a little boney. (That's not to say I would hate being 130! lol)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Generally it's an average based on other people your height, age, and gender. It need's to be relatively gray as everyone is a little different, and what may be ideal for you is small for someone else, or big for another person.

Really you should use a combination of body fat %, waist to hip ratio, and a personal judgement of how you feel about your body when you get close. Some people like themselves with more muscle mass, some with less...etc.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'll stick to the 155 the Dr. gave me. Seems like you guys are also sticking pretty close to the middle of your ranges.
This discussion has been closed.