Need some help planning a trip to NYC :)

Options
kerryc76
kerryc76 Posts: 42 Member
Hey all, a mom friend and I are thinking about taking a girls' trip to NYC. We have been working out together for a while so this is a kinda a reward trip...we have lost all our pregnancy weight and then some. We were thinking 3 nights, 4 days at the end of May. We don't want to stay much longer as we still have our babies at home with dad...but a short break will be nice.

The prices are best at the end of May over Memorial Day...we live in Canada so I don't know much about this holiday...does everything close on this day? Will tourist attractions still be open in NYC? Also, some logistical advice about NYC would be helpful!

How do we get from LGA to the Times Sq area?
What are your suggested must-sees in NY?
Is it easy to get last min tickets to broadway shows? Are they a lot cheaper when you wait?
Is it possible to get tickets to things such as Letterman etc or are they booked months in advance?

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thank you :)

Replies

• TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Some things might be closed on Memorial Day itself (but not the other days), but I think there will be plenty to do - if you are interested in specific things (museums, statue of liberty, etc...) look ahead. Its actually a good time to go because a lot of the people who live in Manhattan

Easiest from LGA to Times Square is to take a yellow taxi. Fare should be about $30 (per car - not per person!) They should use the meter. There will be lots of people at the airport offering to take you in a 'limo' or private car - I would avoid them and get in the yellow taxi line.

Hard to say what a must- see is. If you like museums/art, there is the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). A broadway show is fun. There are several double-decker bus tours which will drive around Manhattan so you could see lots of different things. You may like walking around different areas - Central Park, the Village/SOHO area, Chinatown, downtown Manhattan (Wall St, Battery Park), etc.... I would suggest you spend some time outside of the Times Sq. area to see the real NY.

There is a half price ticket booth in Times Square for broadway shows (some shows are half price, some may be 25% off). Check the website for times - its called TKTS. Note that they won't have tickets for the most popular shows, but they usually have a pretty good selection

Tickets for Letterman, etc... are booked pretty far in advance and you can't ask for a particular day.

Drop another note with any more specific questions.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Above note pretty much covers it. Stick to yellow cabs from the airports. There's so much to do in NYC that New Yorkers don't know what to do sometimes. You can really find anything here. We have food from all over the world, amazing museums, great botanical gardens, shopping... so narrowing down the choices by interests may help.

TKTS is definitely the way to go for last minute tickets. It's on 47th street, the norther part of Times Square; you can't miss it.
    I think the bit of advise, as Tom stated, is get out of Times Square and see the real New York.
  • abrandnewme18
    Options
    bump because I love New York and am curious to see all the responses so I can plan my next trip :bigsmile:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If you've never been to the city before, some landmark things to do are Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, TKTS booth for shows (but get in line early), Central Park, history Museum, Metropolitan Art Museum.

However, if you want to explore some more chill things, do food, bars, music, comedy clubs in non-traditional tourist areas. East village, west village, Chelsea, upper east side etc have lots of high quality places, as well as hole in the wall gems. Maybe the Brooklyn Brewery or wine tasting for the boozers? The summer should also have lots of street fairs, food festivals, flea markets, outdoor movies etc. I recommend googling events and go to timeout or pulsd to see what's happening that week that you'll be there.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My advice: don't :happy:

Haha but really, make sure you don't let people rub up on you...you will end up with lice :noway: Literally. This happened. To me.