Healthier Baked Potato Soup?

Options
Carrie_D
Carrie_D Posts: 120
My daughter has been asking me to make baked potato soup, but the recipe that I have calls for cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon. Does anyone have a healthier version that I could try?

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Use half fat on all of the ingredients, cut back on some of the potatoes and use real bacon pieces that you put on your salad. They are only 35 cals per tbls. You could just sprinkle some in each served bowl.....
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    you can always use the fat free cream cheese, fat free sour cream, 2% cheese, and leave out the bacon. That will save you a lot of calories.

Also - bear creek has a great potato soup (comes in a green bag and just need to add water) its delicious and pretty good in the calorie department. Should be able to find it down the soup isle.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe for potato soup: http://pinchmysalt.com/2008/03/19/a-hearty-potato-leek-soup-recipe-for-the-last-days-of-winter/
    I always use half and half instead of heavy cream.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There's a great Broccoli Cheese Chowder at Eatingwell.com Only 205 calories not sure about a baked potato soup, but this is a good replacement with potatoes being so high in calories. You could also check this sight maybe what your looking for there.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I cook my diced potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1tb. vinegar in enough chicken broth to cover them for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are almost done. Whisk together some skim milk and flour- I do 5 Tb flour to 2 Cups skim milk, add it to the soup and cook and stir til thickened. You can leave it as is and serve reduced fat chese on top or stir 1-2 cups into the soup. No idea the nutrition info but much less fat and cals than with sour cream and cream and full fat cheese. And it's really good!!
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    lol now i want to make some baked potato soup. hmmm... >.> i think im gonna have to ask my mommy to buy some potatoes >.>
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We have some russian friends that make this Potato-Spinach soup for us, they top it with chopped hard boiled egg.

I dumbed it down by using a package of low fat creamed spinach, chicken broth, and potato chunks topped with the egg.

Here's the real deal-

http://www.natashascafe.com/html/spinach.html
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great idea everyone!! It's good to have options. :wink:
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bumping because sometimes I really crave a good hearty soup! :tongue:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Potato soup is my favorite! Great recipes!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lacbusybee
    lacbusybee Posts: 5
    Options
    Bump! :)