Exercise calories

2»

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Phew, with these previous two posts it's obvious the message isn't getting across.
    <snip>

The answer is, no matter what YOUR experience or your opinion is, it depends.

Wait, are you referring to MY post?
    Because of course "it "\depends." Which is something I made perfectly clear in my post. If you are referring to mine, try reading it again because we're in complete agreeance, unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying here. I'm not usually very dense, so I don't think that's the case.

This is what my post said: If you're putting your body at a calorie deficit, you're going to lose weight (note that your body can adjust your metabolism to a certain point to cope with what you're taking in and exercising out). And IMO (which is *not* professionaly certified, by the way, only based in good logic and reason), there's no really great reason to try your luck with a 1500-2000 calorie deficit every day for months at a time. Most people will lose weight well with a moderate deficit of 500-1000. Some people can't handle one that big and some can handle a much bigger deficit. But, why push it? If you have a decent amount of weigh to lose, put yourself at what you think is a moderate deficit. If you have a very small amount to lose, put yourself at a small deficit. You can either do that by eating maintenance cals & exercising to create the deficit or by cutting your calories & then eating back your exercise cals when you do exercise. Either way, you can put yourself at the same deficit & you're eating essentially the same amount.

I think Stroutman meant his two previous posts. :wink:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    @littlespy

I actually did mean the previous two posts before mine, which included yours and LF.

Admittedly though, I stopped once I read:

"As several people mentioned above, that point is different for everyone. No one can say when your body is going to decide to freak out. That's why some people have success not eating exercise calories and some people ONLY have success eating 100% of them. "

That led me to believe you thought, for some, there was some magic to eating the calories back that you expended via exercise. When in fact, as I think you know, the adaptive response to dieting has mostly to do with net energy balance than anything else.

I see you've got a handle on this stuff, so my apologies for jumping the gun and including your post.

Fair enough?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I see you've got a handle on this stuff, so my apologies for jumping the gun and including your post.

Fair enough?

I was just so confused how you could be so frustrated with what I had said when we were saying the same thing. :laugh:
    Brevity isn't my specialty so I know my posts can be about as clear as mud sometimes. :tongue:
  • stroutman81
    I was just so confused how you could be so frustrated with what I had said when we were saying the same thing. :laugh:
    Brevity isn't my specialty so I know my posts can be about as clear as mud sometimes. :tongue:

Haha, yours and mine both! Plus, I admit, at that point in this thread my frustration was at its peak. Reading comprehension goes to poop when my frustration is high, haha.

Best to ya!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    You guys are making me laugh.
  • I believe that no you should definatly eat more than 900 calories oh my, the lowest you can go is 1200 calories a day. Im a size 3 and went from a size 13 to this size in 2 years by doing what i am doing and i have been able to stick with it. I am not starving and im healthy so...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    If you're losing faster than 2 pounds a week, you need to eat more. Losing faster than that can mess up your metabolism and make your goal weight hard to maintain.
  • I have been able to maintain my weight of 125lbs for quite a while now, but everyone is different and has different routines.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Ok this is cracking me up. I've been to a nutritionist who told me how many of each food group to eat every day. I follow her advice no matter what diet I'm on. My doctor even told me on my last visit that I wasn't eating enough calories when I told her I was eating 1200 a day. I increased it to 1400 a day and continued to lose weight at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week. I'm now on maintenance and some days eat nearly 1900 calories (if I run that day). I think the goal should be to eat as much as you can (healthy calories) while losing. It makes your metabolism work more efficiently. That way, if I do have a bad day (eating-wise), my body can handle it.
  • stroutman81
    I'd agree with that in general. There are certain, specialized instances where that rule would be broken... but that's not ordinary. For instance, with some of my clients and myself there have been times where something like a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) has been called for.
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    oh lady.. 6x a week? your muscles need more of a break than that! i did an excersise vid everyday in '99 and i got ME and now i can't walk! be careful with your body. you only have one! at least cut it down and give yourself a day or two inbetween... all youll do is burn lean tissue rather than as much fat.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    I am sorry what is ME?
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    its a neurological disease that affects your brain and therefore your body's response to exhertion. Ive had it for nine yrs, originally i couldnt walk at all and lost all my muscle, been up and down since then. It registers pain from walking, causes the muscles to swell up, and mostly makes you very weak. :) i was always an excersise bunny, loved outdoor sports and horse riding cliff jumping you name it. but i majorely overdid it at uni causing a virus as my immune system couldnt cope. the virus never left my system, xxx
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    I dont eat my workout calories, that is definatly a waste of all the hardwork and sweat that you put into your workout. Ive been doing the same thing for more than 3 years and im just fine and i dont find im sluggish or anything. Just make sure your eating the right kinda stuff to fuel your body. Goodluck.

You're missing the point. For you, not eating back your exercise calories might put you in that sweet spot, calorically speaking, that I mentioned above.

For others, that won't be the case. There isn't a universally acceptable approach here as it will depend on the person, the diet, and the exercise schedule.

In addition, there's more to exercise than calorie expenditure.

Thank you. very much. for posting this.

I read and hear a lot of people saying essentially the same thing: "Well, I don't eat my exercise calories and it hasn't affected my weight loss. Therefore, nobody should do it."

The fact is, everyone is built differently. But for most people, eating your exercise calories to get to that 'sweet spot' is the safest bet.

I really like reading your posts. I may have to start following you around the board now. :)
  • stroutman81
    Thanks for the props and I'll enjoy your company if you do decide to follow me around. :)
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Tag
This discussion has been closed.