Jurassic Popcorn

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
What's the deal?

Today I went to see Jurassic Park (in IMAX 3D - great fun!) and splurged on a large popcorn. Every other place I've seen puts a large buttered popcorn at Regal Theaters at 1640 cals, but their sign at the concession stand said a large popcorn is 960 cals. They didn't list any cals for the 'butter flavored topping', but could it possibly be 680 cals?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ha, somehow I expected this to be a paleo thread... :laugh:

I don't know about the topping. If you search the diary section for theater butter topping, it looks like (well, one entry) 120 calories per tablespoon. I'd imagine a large tub would take many tablespoons, so that could really add up. I'd err on the side of caution. And I always saved popcorn for the next day's lunch because for some reason I love stale popcorn. :smile:
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just was at the movies and yea, that's about where I count it in (1500). Honestly if you eat normally the rest of the day the popcorn and soda will just shoot the day to hell, so it almost becomes irrelevant at that point.

I try to eat well the early part of the day, and then get to the theater and have popcorn and dump a big flask of rum/whiskey into a diet coke so the difference of a few hundred cals is basically whatever at that point. It's fine as an every once in awhile thing
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I went to the movies a couple weeks ago and asked the worker if I wanted popcorn with no butter and salt is it possible. She then told me that the popcorn is actually popped in coconut oil and there is no butter on it at all and the stuff thats in the dispenser is actually soy bean oil. Who knew!!! I would ask how they make it for sure as it may very by movie theathers.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I never get popcorn or anything for that matter at movies because the prices are outrageous. The calories just make me all the more adamant at not eating the stuff.. lol But I do love popcorn, so I eat the 100 calorie bags from the store. Maybe pop some before you go to the movies and then put in in a baggie on you somewhere..? I dunno, I hate movie theater prices ._.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is definitely possible.
    I just bring water or a bag of baby carrots
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is definitely possible.
    I just bring water or a bag of baby carrots

Popcorn is already too loud the way most people seem to eat it, I don't want to share a theater with someone chomping carrots.:D