"fat burn" heart rate

Options
lisaisso
lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
hey- so i have an issue with this.. is this BS or for real? my HRM says my fat burn rate should be 137, yet it seems like i am always higher than that thru the majority of my workouts, like i'm talking 150-170s. it seems like the 137 is reached when i'm warming up, basically, and it doesnt seem like much of a challenge.
so my question is.. is a higher heart rate than the fat burn zone safe (obv i know if it's thru the roof it wont be) and effective, as far as weight loss is concerned? i know that the more intense a workout is, one generally burns more.. but i'd just like to hear some input and some of your guys' experiences with this.
thanks!

Replies

• shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    im curious about this too - during a spin class or a run, i spend the majority of my time about the "fat burn" level, in the "fitness" range. should i lower the intensity to stay within the "fat burn" range??
  • Desiderata
    Desiderata Posts: 91
    Options
    The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the 'fat burning zone' or at lower intensities. But, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight.
  • samsonov77
    samsonov77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!
    Agreed with the woman above :)

Exercising at a higher intensity (such as the ones you talk about when you're in spin class, etc) burns more total calories and more fat calories. This isn't to say that low intensity exercise doesn't have it's place. In fact, endurance workouts should be a staple of a complete fitness program along with shorter, higher intensity workouts or even interval workouts which are a great way to burn calories and build endurance.

Hope that helped!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The issue becomes how long can you sustain the higher heart rate? You burn more calories at the higher HR, but you can't maintain it as long. Plus at that higher rate, the majority of the calories you burn will be muscle glycogen and blood/liver glucose (your body's stores of blood sugar). At the lower HR your body can convert the stored energy in your fat cells back into glucose. If you have the tiime, go for a longer duration, lower HR workout that will equal the shorter duration, higher HR workout in calories burned.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i've been doing Insanity workouts, and it's notorious for bringing your heart rate up, with short breaks of lower intensities, workouts lasting approx 35-45 min..
    thanks for your replies so far :wink:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    posting to read the comments.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i've been doing the couch to 5K running program (currently at week 7) 3 days a week, and spinning twice a week. both workouts get my HR up to 160 for about 25-30 mins pretty consistently. what do people recommend for some interval training?
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I do both. Now when I first started out just walking would send my heart rate through the roof :laugh: I try to change it up alot. For the next few weeks I'm running/fast walking for my high intensity, then doing the stair stepper and walking the dog for my low. High workouts my hr gets to about 165, low I keep it arond 135. It is important to know where you are % wise in your heart rate. working out at 80% of your max heart rate is a pretty high workout. If you're getting up to 95% that may be a little too hard.

From what I've read and been told by a trainner, high heart rate workouts are great for about 30 mins. Low you can do longer. With all this it is important to do strength exercise as well. Aftter too long of a high intense workout your body can start to burn some muscle instead of fat. Just somethings I've came across in reading and is in no way ment to be the "final truth"
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    is BS!

Think about both sides of the equation. You need to be in a calorie deficit to "burn" fat.

Yes a high HR will burn more calories....but it's not the whole story.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ran a marathon. Heart rate was in the 170's for four hours. For what it's worth. I saw a really good post in here some time back that explained it, but for weight loss considerations only, it's essentially calories in vs calories out. I'll post again in a bit when I can find that article.
  • mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How do you find out what your "fat burn" heart rate should be??
  • AppleBottomJeans
    Options
    (Was this question answered? I got this information from http://www.livestrong.com/article/90894-fat-burning-vs.-cardio-heart/#ixzz1Iny5byam. I'm trying to set up my "gym plan" to maximize weight loss and came by this article. Just thought I'd share.)

Overview
    Heart rate is a measure of how hard your heart is working and thus helps people determine the intensity of a particular workout. When you work your body harder, your heart beats faster and your body turns to different fuel sources when working at various levels of intensity. It makes sense that people seeking to lose weight would want to maximize fat loss, so oftentimes they strive for a heart-rate level that falls within the "fat burning" zone.

Significance
    To determine where your intensity lies, you must first figure out your maximal heart rate. The maximal heart rate is age dependent, for as we grow older, the heart beats a little more slowly. To find maximal heart rate, subtract your age from 220. The fat burning and cardio zones are defined as a percentage of this maximal heart rate.

Features
    A heart-rate zone that improves cardiovascular fitness is defined as between 55 and 80 percent of maximum heart rate, according to The American College of Exercise. A less-conditioned individual may see benefits to her heart health at the lower levels of this recommended zone while an athlete needs to work at a higher intensity to improve fitness. The fat-burning zone occurs at the lower end of the cardio zone---between 55 and 70 percent of maximum heart rate. When working at this intensity, a greater percentage of calories burned comes from stored fat.

Considerations
    Working anywhere within the cardio zone will improve cardio fitness and burn calories. The benefit of working in the fat-burning zone is that you target stored fat and thus encourage weight loss. But, keep in mind, that if you work in a higher zone, you burn a greater amount of calories overall---which is important to weight loss. Although a lower percentage of these calories will come from fat sources, the total number of fat calories burned will likely be the same or greater. Take, for example, a person who burns 100 calories in a 15-minute walk at a heart rate of 55 percent of maximum. Seventy-five percent of those calories, or 75 calories, may come from fat. However, a person who runs those same 15 minutes and burns 200 calories may burn only 50 percent of those calories from fat, but will burn a total of 100 fat calories in the same amount of time.

Expert Insight
    A study based on 36 relatively fit runners published in the "Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research" in October 2009 demonstrated that determination of a person's exact fat-burning zone may only be performed in a laboratory. In this study, significant overlap between the fat burning and cardio zones existed, indicating that a person working within 60 and 80 percent of maximal heart rate is likely to be maximizing fat oxidation.

Strategy
    Unless you are training for a figure or body building competition where working in the fat-burning zone exclusively helps you preserve every bit of lean body mass, it is best to focus on improving fitness and calorie burn with varying levels of intensity. If you choose to work in the lower range of the cardio zone---the fat-burning zone---be prepared to work out longer to burn enough calories to affect weight loss. Incorporating high cardio and lower cardio zone exercise into a workout routine will offer the most aerobic and weight loss benefit.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/90894-fat-burning-vs.-cardio-heart/#ixzz1Iny5byam