what would YOU do?

Options
i am trying to cut out processed food, refined sugars and flours.
in doing that, i make myself a sugar free chocolate recipe i found because i do love my chocolate.
my 14 year old son loves the recipe but isn't following any kind of diet or anything.
the chocolate isn't cheap to make plus it does take a bit of time to prepare.

he went to grab a piece of my chocolate tonight and i said if you're going to keep eating that, you will have to help me make it.
i got the typical teenager response of - that's not fair!
then as soon as he finished his chocolate, he reached for a pudding cup.
now i am grumpy today, but i told him if he's going to eat regular junk he doesn't really need to be eating my chocolate.

am i being a jerk?
this stuff actually really helps me stay away from junk food treats.
it's precious to me.
i want to to share, but i do find my son to be a bit greedy - or something.
he would easily polish off my 'treat' without thinking twice.

Replies

• MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nope you are being fair..If he can eat the other treats he can leave yours alone.. find a hiding place and only make it when he's not around lol then hide it for yourself
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can understand your reaction, it's one I've had with my husband getting into things I am buying for a treat for myself, especially when his treats are ready and available. Luckily, I mentioned it once, and now he does not eat me out of house and home. With a teenaged kid, it may take more than one mention.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    so your son made a better health choice by eating some sugar free chocolate and you are threatening him by telling him he may have to help you make it next time?

yes, i get that it is your treat, and expensive and time consuming to make, but a 14 year old boy doesn't care about any of that. if it is a healthier alternative to some of the other stuff he could be eating, i would make more of it and encourage him to eat it.

but maybe some ground rules are in order. or maybe bribery from your end. maybe all the beds need to be made, or the grass needs cutting, or your car needs washing...make him earn it if it really bothers you that much.

or just tell him it is healthy for him, he will likely stay away from it then.
  • araes2102
    araes2102 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would not let him have it! Sure, if he wants to make changes and eat healthier, make more of it and encourage him to eat it! BUT if he is just eating it because it is there and it is chocolate... let him have the cheap stuff! DF does this to me ALL the time and I hate it! He will eat my (expensive) Atkins bars, followed by chips and salsa and an entire pint of ice cream! I have to practically beg him not eat my special items. Anyway, make it and hide it for yourself.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Why can't momma have her own treat? Make it off limits--if he touches it, he's in trouble! No reason he has to have junk AND your stuff, too.

ETA: If he wants it BECAUSE it's healthy, I agree with someone above, make him earn it if it's THAT expensive--otherwise, make a bigger batch and let him have some, as long as he saves some for you.
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would let my boy eat the chocolate and I would do it with a loving heart because he is my son. I would tell him that it makes me happy to share something I made with him.

My boys are the best things to ever happen to me - way better than the best chocolate. The chocolate just wouldn't taste as good to me anymore once I told my boys it was all for me. That would feel greedy to me.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.
    he knows all about it being a healthier option.
    but he doesn't really follow any certain eating plan, other than what i serve.
    but he will eat pretty much anything.

i decided when i make it from now on, i will cut a portion for him and one for me.
    once his share is gone, it's gone.
    i think that's fair.

and to the person that thinks her son is more important than chocolate - you've obviously never had high quality chocolate.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. My mom used to hide her candy in the china closet. She would never let us near the china closet because we "might break something" but in reality she just didn't want us eating her expensive chocolates. Can you hide your chocolate? Or does it need refrigeration?
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Granted I don't have kids yet, but if I did, and I'd be pretty thrilled if they actually had a preference for healthy treats instead of junk. I'd encourage it instead of discourage. That said, there is no healthy without moderation (plus, you said it was expensive, right?). I'd wouldn't feel bad about limiting the treat to whatever you feel is economically reasonable and healthy for the child. Furthermore, you can teach him responsibility by having him help make it! He learns to make healthier food choices, portion control, economical sense, and responsibility. My two cents.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    starting when my kids were little (and still applies to hubby today - kids grown and gone) any food in a plastic grocery store bag, in the fridge, freezer, cupboard, counter, wherever...is off limits, that's the rule...anything else in the house is fair game. That way if I bought an ingredient for something specific (or just something i didn't want to share) they knew not to even bother...didn't even look to see what was in there after a while....now my daughter has started the same rule w/her daughter :bigsmile:
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Could you share the recipe with us?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    What would I do? I would share.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you're asking for opinions, I think you're kind of being a jerk. So you get the healthy/nice stuff, which you know for a fact he likes, make just enough for yourself, and expect him to eat something you as an adult know is not as healthy?

He's 14, his appetite is bound to be huge because of hormones. Make more next time.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I would not let him have it! Sure, if he wants to make changes and eat healthier, make more of it and encourage him to eat it! BUT if he is just eating it because it is there and it is chocolate... let him have the cheap stuff! DF does this to me ALL the time and I hate it! He will eat my (expensive) Atkins bars, followed by chips and salsa and an entire pint of ice cream! I have to practically beg him not eat my special items. Anyway, make it and hide it for yourself.

The idea of having "healthy" food for mom and *actually buying* crap for the kids is really gross to me.
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    Could you share the recipe with us?

1/2 cup coconut oil (slightly melted, but not hot)
    1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter
    1/4 cup raw honey
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

mix everything together and put in lined muffin cups or spread flat out on cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper.
    put in the freezer for 10-15 mins.
    that's it!

keep it stored in the fridge or freezer because the coconut oil melts very easily.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you're asking for opinions, I think you're kind of being a jerk. So you get the healthy/nice stuff, which you know for a fact he likes, make just enough for yourself, and expect him to eat something you as an adult know is not as healthy?

He's 14, his appetite is bound to be huge because of hormones. Make more next time.

This^^ Things are always better when you have someone to share it with!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    first let me state i do not have children. now with that out of the way you are not being a jerk. i grew up in a household where certain very special foods/treats were OFF LIMITS to us children. period, no questions asked. you did not eat dad's suzy q's unless you did not like your freedom then by all means eat one and you would be instantly grounded for a week.
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    sharing is fine.
    i'm all for it - read my solution.
    i just don't want him gobbling it up when he will follow it with a pudding cup, or something from his easter basket.
    if he was interested in giving up junk in the same way i am, then sure - that would be all we'd have in the house for a chocolate treat.
    the issue wasn't simply sharing, it was sharing when he is willing to eat any kind of treat on top of this stuff.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    and to the person that thinks her son is more important than chocolate - you've obviously never had high quality chocolate.

^Love it!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    No, I have some foods no is allowed to eat. I even have my "special" water. Now that one took a little white lie about possible bowel problems if you drink my "special" water. I even have a cup noone is allowed to use. It fits my smoothies perfectly and when I go to use it it's dirty. So, now no touchy. Get them something special (that you won't get into) that you tell them you won't eat. My house it's fishy crackers. I just don't crave them and I tell them they are all theirs.