Any women who are 5'9"-5'10" with success stories?

Options
Would love to hear success stories from people with a simialr height. One-derland will be a reality one day, I just know it. I am currently at 214 but have been here for years. Positive is that I am not gaining. Negative is that I son't move down the scale.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kath755
    kath755 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm your height and started at the weight you're at now. Because tall girls seem to distribute their weight better than shorter girls, I think it's harder to get motivated and stay active. I found that increasing my cardio workouts to 4-5 times a week got the scale moving in the right directiin. I also keep my calories to 1200-1400 per day (with more flexability on the weekends). I'm at 180 right now, but am hoping to land at 160. Good luck, you can do it!
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not quite a success story (yet) but I'm 5'9" and weigh around 268, just a teeny bit above your weight lol. I've lost 17 pounds so far. You can add me if you want. I always try to post something positive to keep people motivated.
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started MFP back in October at my highest weight 240 (I'm 5'9"), at first I just started watching my calories, then slowly added in exercise. Did 30DS, RI30, BFBM and am now doing Insanity. I'm down 62lbs (178) and would like to get to about 160 and see from there. You can definitely do it! Feel free to friend me if you want :)
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and lost 30 lbs, mainly by learning how to eat better and balancing with some exercise. I picked running as my main exercise. I wish I enjoyed strength training b/c that would have been a great way to compliment my exercise. Maye one day. :smile:

OH and I am grateful for my fitness pals because I don't think I would have been half as motivated if it was not for them! so THANK you again my dear friends.
  • diamonddivarant38
    Options
    Hi I'm the same weight and height and the biggest thing for me was actually eating enough. I gained weight because of an illness and was hindered because of it. I stopped eating because I had been 120-140 my entire 20s and then all of a sudden because of meds gained so much weight. After being told I was pre-hypertension and getting worse I made a decision to get back in the gym. I now do cardio 2-3 times per week for an hour each time and I do resistance training as well. I feel better and the weight seems to be dropping slowing. I learned that in order to get the weight dropping you must increase your metabolism and in order to do that you have to eat more in addition to exercising. You can do it my goal is to lose 70 pounds by the end of this year...lets stay connected with progress and encourage one another. Good blessings to you!
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Still working on it, but I have gone from 221 to 181 and a size 22 pants to 14, the shirts were 3X and just yesterday I bought large! You can do it.... Believe and commit to yourself and take it one meal at a time!

Feel free to add me if you like, open diary ( however, I don't always eat the best lol )

Much luck!
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im not a success story yet but I had got down to 172 and then had to stop dieting and exercising due to health reasons. Needless to say Ive gain a bit back. But Im back on my journey! Also, theres a group called Totally Tall Women of MFP that can be motivating. Feel free to add me.
  • SierraD8989
    Options
    I am no where near a success story yet but I am 5'10", My starting weight was 336 lbs, I am currently at 291 lbs. Feel free to add me! I love to motivate people!
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you are, at 6 foot 1 - I'm currently 90 kilos (14 stone), I have to say that - being this tall has impacted my motivation at losing weight. I've always been told that I don't look 14 stone, and half a stone ago I still had a healthy BMI.
    However, I don't want to be the size I am anymore, so I'm motivating myself!!!
    My goal weight is 70 kilos :)
  • Louroll87
    Louroll87 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hello :)
    I have a success story in that i've lost 54lbs so far :D
    I am 5ft 10 1/2 and weighed 230ish lbs (16 stone ish) after having my little boy
    2 years down the line and i weigh 166lbs (last weighed in friday) and im aiming to be 158lbs :)
    I'm a healthy UK size 12/14 :D i was a UK 16/18 and 18 on bottom :) good luck xx
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started MFP at 212... currently hovering in the mid 180s with my goal at 170. I agree with pp who said the key is eating enough. 1200 cals doesn't do it for me (am so hungry, cannot sustain for more than maybe a week), I lose weight if I can eat consistently at 1750-1900 cals a day.

If you haven't yet, check out Dan's Road Map for my favorite advice ever on setting appropriate calorie goals
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im almost 5'9 and started at 248 currently stuck at 214 too!!! havent really moved scale in months but... not gaining.. Which im happy about.. I hope to change that in the weeks to come! feel free to ad. Best of luck.
  • JaziH
    JaziH Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and started out at 275lbs, now down to 232 and I have been there for almost a month, but at least I haven't gained any *thank goodness*. It's difficult to have and keep motivation being taller cause we carry our weight much better that shorter women. Going to jump on the "weight loss bandwagon" once again, and this time try not to fall off ! Anyone can feel free to add me , Always looking for pals and motivation.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I had much spare weight that I have been able to lose with consistent STRICT regulation of what I eat. I am definitely not done yet, I want to be more fit! Before I made this lifestyle change, I used to eat SO unhealthy; processed foods-crackers, cookies, and other sodium-filled snacks.

Let me tell you this- what I think is the case at least- once you COMPLETELY stop eating these sodium snacks and start only eating organic foods, you will see SO much weight loss (of course this is in addition to moderate exercise and the appropriate intake of other nutrients) in the first week or so. Also make sure to drink at LEAST 8 glasses of water (8 oz. each) and stay hydrated. Avoid carbonated drinks; not only do they make you bloated and cause excessive gas, etc. but they all share one deadly ingredient: aspartame - which in research has been proven to increase the risk of Alzheimer's Disease- Yikes!

I really fully believe now that if you continue to eat only organic foods, with the exception of a few conveniences (but healthy ones nonetheless!) you will be able to lose weight, continue to achieve the desired level of fitness, and protect yourself from preventable diseases.

For example peanut butter can be substituted with Maranatha Almond Butter (found in Wal-Mart). Even string cheese can be a tasty healthy protein-filled regular source of calcium! Make sure to eat lots of fruits and veggies, four - five servings a day is a good number. It isn't as hard as it sounds to implement them into your meals- you can use berries on oatmeal in the morning (one serving right there), a salad for lunch with some grilled meat (serving dos!), an afternoon snack of string cheese and an apple (third serving), and then salmon on a bed of spinach in the evening.

And if you're wanting some crunchiness and salt why turn to chips? Unhealthy fried potato chips full of carbohydrates and unheard of ingredients! Turn to nuts- pine nuts, pistachios, almonds, walnuts, and occasionally even cashews!!

Almonds- 12 almonds (85 calories)
    Walnuts- 6 whole walnuts (110 calories)
    Pistachios- THIRTY pistachios (160 calories)
    Cashews- 1/4 cup (190 calories)

And sure it's easier to munch more than the serving size, but there ARE ways around this! Get shelled pistachios so you get tired of deshelling them that you eat less :p Take small bowls and small plates, so that it will seem that your small full plate is enough!!

And most importantly, find someone to workout with or take an mP3 player with you on a jog outside!

Stay motivated, and start exercising in increments. When I first started, I did 15 minutes, then after three days like that, I moved it up to 20 minutes, and so on.

You CAN do this, and if you're committed you WILL achieve your ideal weight. Besides, you've got enough motivation- smaller sizes= cheaper clothes ;) Every girl's dream!

Hope you get the advice you needed, because this is YOUR life and it's time to take control and make yourself the best you you can be. :) A healthy new you.

Good luck. <3
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and started at 260 a year ago. Now I weigh 182. My original goal was to be back in a size 14 because I was happy with my body the last time I wore a 14. Well, I got there very early in my journey. And amazingly, I got in a 12!! And now they are getting a little loose! I'm only about 6 pounds from my goal weight of 176 but I have stalled. But I'm fine with where I am. I'll be okay if I don't lose another pound! Getting to ONEderland was quite the celebration!!
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'9" and started MFP (January 2013) at 202 lbs., I've lost 14.5 lbs so far, at 187.5. My goal weight is 160.. although, I know I have a long way to go, I keep focused and motivated knowing that I've worked so hard for the past 3 months.. why would I want to go back? Yes, sometimes it does take a while for the scale to move, but you have to celebrate how good you feel, how healthy you are and how loose your clothing is starting to feel. Hang in there.. we're all here for the right reasons!
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well im still a work in progress but started out 5'9'' and 257 lbs (20 weeks ago)and today i am still 5´9´´ but at 209 lbs. and i have a goal of around 170. and i am GOING TO be at 185-190 by end of june ;)
    I started in size 16 and today im in size 10-12 =)
  • Emcdaley
    Emcdaley Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 5'8.75" and currently weigh 166. My height weight was 276. I was stuck at around 170 forever but just had the stomach flu and got down to 163 lol. I am just estimating that I will gain back to about 166.
    My goal weight is 145, so I guess I'm not a success yet. But I am definitely not as consistent with exercise as I should be, and I think that is what really holds me back from losing consistently. I'm still figuring out how many calories work for me, sometimes I feel like I need to eat more (my goal is 1300 daily) but I'm so scared because just going over a few hundred in a day sets me back.

Hope this helps;)
  • Emcdaley
    Emcdaley Posts: 8
    Options
    :smile:
  • Boutrosbabe
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and a little bit ... I hit an all-time high in January of 191.6. My body was inflamed and my doc told me I was creating an autoimmune issue by eating so many unhealthy foods. Since I've known for years that I'm gluten and lactose intolerant, I decided to do some research on how best to cut them out. I discovered the Paleo lifestyle approach and in six weeks have lost just over 18 pounds. I eat mostly organic, grass-fed and cage free foods - TONS of meat and veggies - and try to be active during the day. That's it. All of my swelling is gone, my skin looks better than it ever has, and my mood and energy are through the roof. It's not always easy, but it IS worth it. Keep going! You will eventually meet with success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!