Options
I know kashi cereal is supposed to be be good
For you but it seems so high in calories for such
A small amount. Is it really that good for you

Replies

• woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat the plain Kashi that is 140 calories per cup. The first time I ate it, I will admit that I didn't like it. I started adding raisins which gave it some flavor and that helped. I can now eat it plain and enjoy it. I also warm it in the microwave and eat it with a little cinnamon as you might eat oatmeal.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It depends on which cereal you're talking about. There are several I like that are about 190 cals per 1 cup. That's not bad. Not many cereals that have fewer cals for that serving size and most all are higher in sugar content and much lower in protein content.
  • KiraKarla
    KiraKarla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All the magazines and health blogs seem to think so! I eat Kashi cereal, I guess because I believe the hype, but also because it tastes good. I have come to the conclusion that Kashi is healthier in terms of the ingredients because they don't use artificial sweeteners, dyes, or unhealthy preservatives..... but I don't think it is healthier in terms of calories at all. I eat Kashi Heart to Heart Cereal but if you compare the nutrition information to Honey Nut Cheerios (the closest comparison I could find), Cheerios have more of what I am looking for when my diet is focused on calories, fiber, fat, and sugar content. In my opinion if your concern is to stay away from unnatuural, "chemically enhanced" cereal stick with Kashi and if your concern is nutritional content, skip the Kashi and switch to a lower calorie cereal. Hope this helps!
  • RxVirus
    RxVirus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I remember eating Kashi cereal the first time I was dieting and even though it was higher in calorie it kept me full longer and had a better nutritional value then say fruit loops which is 110 cal per cup. Don't worry so much about the caloric intake so much as how much nutritional value you are getting out of the food. I dont eat Kashi anymore though but that's only because I can no longer afford it. :C
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch has a lot of sugar, so it's not the best choice ever but still better than many cereals, and way better than granola. I never eat a full cup, just a sprinkle on some yogurt sometimes. It's a decent choice, especially compared to what most people eat for breakfast. Measure your servings though- it would be really easy to overpour it!

Kashi GoLean (not crunch) is a healthier choice. It's not as tasty as Crunch, but really high protein, low sugar and the best nutrition label I've ever seen on a cereal, by far. It's pretty bland, but vanilla almond milk makes it good, and it makes a great topping for yogurt too.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    if you shop at Costco check out 'Wildroots wholesome hemp'. It's delicious and 100% natural.

2/3 cup (40g)
    180 calories
    7 g fat
    27 g carbs
    4 g protein
    7 g sugar

I eat it every morning for breakfast with skim milk and berries
    OR
    I use 1/2 cup of Iogo Greek yogurt, topped with fresh berries and 20g of Wildroots.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Kashi Island Vanilla biscuits because they remind me of Mini Wheats, just more nutritious. For 190 calories, you get 6g fiber and 6g of protein, with only 9g of sugar. Not too bad compared to the other cereals out there. My all time favorite "healthy" cereal, though, is the Special K Protein Plus.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch has a lot of sugar, so it's not the best choice ever but still better than many cereals, and way better than granola. I never eat a full cup, just a sprinkle on some yogurt sometimes. It's a decent choice, especially compared to what most people eat for breakfast. Measure your servings though- it would be really easy to overpour it!

Kashi GoLean (not crunch) is a healthier choice. It's not as tasty as Crunch, but really high protein, low sugar and the best nutrition label I've ever seen on a cereal, by far. It's pretty bland, but vanilla almond milk makes it good, and it makes a great topping for yogurt too.

Oh man, I just bought a double box of GoLean Crunch! I'll check out the GoLean next time I'm out.

FiberOne has some decent cereals but I usually just buy straight bran flakes. Trader Joe's ones are pretty good, not as processed as the Safeway/Kroger ones. They're pretty low calorie, especially with nonfat milk. I'm trying to drop it all together, but I'm so used to it for cheap quick breakfast at this point....
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    As cereals go Kashi isn't bad for calories. I like the Crunch and the berry flavor...good stuff....great with a little vanilla almond milk.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    just eat the Fiber 1 original ..... 90 cals for a 1/2 cup with 14 grams of fiber. Tastes fine with a bit of milk
  • kensgirl2
    kensgirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kashi has always tasted like twigs and bark to me. I can't make myself eat it, and when you throw in the calories from milk, even 2%, it's not worth it to me for convenience. I'd rather make a bowl of oatmeal with some fresh berries thrown in.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    I have become quite fond of the Kashi Berry Fruitful ceral one serving is 170 calories, 6 grams fiber, 6 grams protein and 8 grams sugar. They look like mini wheats with no frosting and fruit puree in the center. Love 'em!