Color Me Rad: Will it kill my shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Just wear old shoes that you don't care about - problem solved.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Some people wear plastic over their shoes.

Personally, I'd love to find a good pair of white running shoes and KEEP the paint from each event on them as kind of a trophy...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The color washes out! Go home and put in washing machine and you are good to go!

In that case I'll just stop worrying about it! :)

I used some oxyclean in my wash and all the color came out of my clothes that I wanted it to.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Wait, there are races that hand out free beer? Where do I find these and where do I sign up?

Not a 'race' but google "Hash House Harriers" for your area - chances are you'll find a group (kennel). Hashers describe themselves as a "drinking club with a running problem"...it's a social activity and beer is always included. Those with open minds fit best.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I did The Color Run last year and just wore an old pair of running shoes that I wasn't worried about the color getting on them. The white shirt and shorts still have the color in them (I haven't washed them yet, they're hanging on my back porch, I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to wash them or do the vinegar for them to hold their color) I wore a black running bra and black bike shorts under my whites and it washed out just fine. I accidently got color in the face a couple times (at The Color Run they have the powder in squirt bottles-like the ones you see condiments in) because I was behind my friend, who is shorter than I am and they sprayed her from hip to shoulder so I got it up the face too, but it was still fun. I'm doing Color Me Rad (so far by myself since none of my friends have decided to do it, so far) at the end of May.
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did the color me rad last month, my shoes (which are my favorite) came clean so did my husbands and son's. We were covered head to toe in color and all came out with the exception of light pink color on my socks and t shirt. I washed my husband and my son's twice and they look like new! It's a ton of fun!
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Color Me Rad sounds super fun! This is the first time I've heard of it...Can't wait to be in shape enough to participate in something like this!

I'm doing a color run in May, but I'm not yet in shape enough to participate. I heard that a lot of people will walk it because its a popular one to do with their kids. Hope so because I can't actually run a 5K but could walk it fine. :tongue:
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There's a GLOW RUN that I am signed up for in May. Night run with glow in the dark stuff...and free beer! :)
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    The color washes out! Go home and put in washing machine and you are good to go!

yup. same for me. it comes right out. if there are some faint colors leftover, just put some stain stick on it and wash it again. my shoes don't have any color left on them at all after i washed them once.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Mine also came clean. Can't wait to do it again! !! Such a blast.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    LMBO!!! I'm doing the Warrior Run April 27th. I have an old pair that are getting demoted to yard sneakers, so I'm using those. As for the free beer...depends on how much mud I eat during the race :laugh: AND....I'm doing the Color Me Rad run May 4th. Luckily, I have black sneakers. One muddy race, one colorful race. Both LOTS of fun!! Enjoy your race!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Some people wear plastic over their shoes.

Personally, I'd love to find a good pair of white running shoes and KEEP the paint from each event on them as kind of a trophy...

it's not paint they throw at you it's dyed corn starch and it gets on EVERYTHING.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Wore my old pair. It depends on how big the event is...at ours, they just sprayed us with mustard/ketchup bottles, so it wasn't like massive amounts, and directly at the chest area. Most of it washed out except the white tshirt I wore to get colored. It will probably fade eventually. It's a fun run, so you really don't need your best running shoes.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I imagine your shoes will work just as well as they did before.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of doing a color race this month. Reading all the comments is really pushing me to want to go for it. I'd want to go the vinegar route to keep the color.
  • NEOA910
    NEOA910 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did the color run last year and my shoes came out okay. I did however have on a very new, very expensive (I have a large chest) sports bra, and that is forever colored.
  • NEOA910
    NEOA910 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, if you use headphones, specifically the white iPod ones, those will forever be colored too. My husband's pair are now pink! LOL
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread took off after all. Great!

Thank you everyone for suggestions and tips! I want to keep any color that goes on my shirt and shorts, as a trophy from what will be my first real 5K, and I'll wear old shoes that I don't care too much about anyway. And no headphones. I had already planned ot use my phone to time myself, and it will go in a ziploc bag.

Now I need to find out if those Harsh beer people have a group near where I live. :D
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread took off after all. Great!

Thank you everyone for suggestions and tips! I want to keep any color that goes on my shirt and shorts, as a trophy from what will be my first real 5K, and I'll wear old shoes that I don't care too much about anyway. And no headphones. I had already planned ot use my phone to time myself, and it will go in a ziploc bag.

Now I need to find out if those Harsh beer people have a group near where I live. :D

they will give you sunglasses to wear. you're gonna have so much fun. oh and i just changed my profile pic so you can see what you look like AFTER a color me rad run. the volunteers LOVE LOVE LOVE to throw color bombs!