• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    In for more mythbusting

tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500_zps91fb32f8.gif
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Watched a program the other night about 10 things we need to know to lose weight, scientifically proven. These are the 10 points.

1. DON'T skip meals
    2. Change your plate size from 12" to 10" or even smaller.
    3. Count your calories.
    4. Don't blame your weight on your METABOLISM.
    5. Eat protein, to keep you fuller longer.
    6. Eat soup, more often, keeps you fuller longer.
    7. Eat LOW FAT DAIRY, don't cut out dairy from your diet.
    8. Exersize.
    9. AFTER BURN from exersize plays huge role in weight loss.
    10.Keep moving, even the little bits during the day will add up to loss.

Just wanted to share the insight. It made the point with scientifically proven studies and experiments, so if we can incorporate most or all of these points, I think we'd find those pounds falling away?

please post your scientific proven studies on pubmed.
    You cannot say something like that and say it was proven

its exercise, fat from dairy? what does fat have anythign to do with weight loss
    EPOC isnt as much as you think it is. It will help where the energy comes from to fill in your day. fat or muscle
    You can skip meals. ever heard if IF? they only have a 6-8 hour eating window and they still lose weight
    The only thing you said right was count your calories and exercise
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Why can't we all get along... I thought this site was about helping each other... not who is right and who is wrong.. we all have our little things that have helped us along our weight loss journey.... the whole point of this site is to share what we know.. nobody is obligated to follow every post
    Informing people of CORRECT information is helping. Being the fitness industry myself for several years, should I just agree with peers who naively listen to the myths that are passed along without actual scientific back up just to pacify them? That would be getting along.
    It's not being rude to inform someone if they are incorrect and give them research to back it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    agreed. spreading stupidity is one of the worst things someone can do
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Why can't we all get along... I thought this site was about helping each other... not who is right and who is wrong.. we all have our little things that have helped us along our weight loss journey.... the whole point of this site is to share what we know.. nobody is obligated to follow every post

The real world doesn't work this way, so, unfortunately, neither does the internet.
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    Because you don't agree doesn't mean it is wrong, if it worked for the person that is posting the information it isn't wrong... what works for one person doesn't work for others but it doesn't mean they are wrong.. we are all looking for what works for us and personally I appreciate any information that others have to give... doesn't mean I agree with everything posted but I don't feel the need to criticize....
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    And that is exactly what is wrong with both the world and internet today....not enough respect for people....
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    And that is exactly what is wrong with both the world and internet today....not enough respect for people....

"You’ve gotta respect everyone’s beliefs.” No, you don’t. That’s what gets us in trouble. Look, you have to acknowledge everyone’s beliefs, and then you have to reserve the right to go: “That is F***ing stupid. Are you kidding me?” I acknowledge that you believe that, that’s great, but I’m not going to respect it. I have an uncle that believes he saw Sasquatch. We do not believe him, nor do we respect him!"
    -Patton Oswalt
    Because you don't agree doesn't mean it is wrong, if it worked for the person that is posting the information it isn't wrong... what works for one person doesn't work for others but it doesn't mean they are wrong.. we are all looking for what works for us and personally I appreciate any information that others have to give... doesn't mean I agree with everything posted but I don't feel the need to criticize....

Actually, thats exactly what it means when we don't agree. That they're wrong. Not because I said they're wrong. Not because of my ego. But because SCIENCE says they're wrong. I have already given explanation each of those individual points and while some are common knowledge (but still good, I gave them credit for it), the others can be potentially harmful. And yes, what works for one will essentially work for others. We're NOT snowflakes. HOW we do it might be different methods but essentially, it all boils down to "Eat about 20-30% less than your TDEE". THAT is for EVERYBODY who wishes to lose fat and not muscle.

If you want respect, earn it by posting something that is actually backed up by PEER -REVIEWED (not cosmopolitan or other magazines) research.
  • DatMurse
    Options

no its people who have no proper knowledge try stepping up and start spreading wrong information across the internet.

Saying we dont have enough respect for people is ridiculous

Btw it has nothing to do with "what works for him"

There is scientific evidence and you cannot fight the laws of thermodynamics to create BS across the website. There is always an underlying factor of why things occur a certain way.
    I slept on the floor and lost weight.
    forget the fact i was eating less calories I utilized daily

therefore sleeping on the floor made me lose weight.

Spreading around wrong information just makes the world a dumber place. Especially when people says "its my body" or "it worked for me"

You are no special snowfalke in the eyes of thermodynamics and basic functions of each macronutrient.
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    Soup ... really? IMO, Soup runs right through you and is usually loaded with sodium ... pretty worthless, no matter what the commercials tell us.

If you actually make the soup, it can be pretty low in sodium.

I find soup very filling :D And im not talking about creamy ones, ones filled with beans, or ones filled with rice or pasta, im talking about hot broth.
  • Kaasie1
    Kaasie1 Posts: 25
    Options
    Not all these are true for all people. People are different. There are basic things we all must do to lose weight but everyone is different and our bodies react differently to certain things.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

1. DON'T skip meals but skip a lot animation_skipping_by_radavast-d3j4p7c.gif
    2. Change your plate size from 12" to 10" or even smaller. or your pant size, whatever
    3. Count your calories. don't eat them, just count them
    4. Don't blame your weight on your METABOLISM. blame it on your husband *sabotage*
    5. Eat protein, to keep you fuller longer. he he.
    6. Eat soup, more often, keeps you fuller longer. and burns your tongue so it won't taste that good after the second spoon
    7. Eat LOW FAT DAIRY, don't cut out dairy from your diet. and don't cut the cheese, cut the LOW FAT CHEESE
    8. Exersize. or excersize, whatever
    9. AFTER BURN from exersize plays huge role in weight loss. but AFTER BURN from s-exercise plays a huge role in "friend" loss
    10.Keep moving, even the little bits during the day will add up to loss. yes all my little bits have added up to one big giant bit and one big giant butt
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

"You’ve gotta respect everyone’s beliefs.” No, you don’t. That’s what gets us in trouble. Look, you have to acknowledge everyone’s beliefs, and then you have to reserve the right to go: “That is F***ing stupid. Are you kidding me?” I acknowledge that you believe that, that’s great, but I’m not going to respect it. I have an uncle that believes he saw Sasquatch. We do not believe him, nor do we respect him!"
    -Patton Oswalt

Actually, thats exactly what it means when we don't agree. That they're wrong. Not because I said they're wrong. Not because of my ego. But because SCIENCE says they're wrong. I have already given explanation each of those individual points and while some are common knowledge (but still good, I gave them credit for it), the others can be potentially harmful. And yes, what works for one will essentially work for others. We're NOT snowflakes. HOW we do it might be different methods but essentially, it all boils down to "Eat about 20-30% less than your TDEE". THAT is for EVERYBODY who wishes to lose fat and not muscle.

If you want respect, earn it by posting something that is actually backed up by PEER -REVIEWED (not cosmopolitan or other magazines) research.

This is a good point. It reminds me of something my daddy used to say..."If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me "I want to lose weight so my clothes will be loose"

I'd like everyone who can't tell the difference to write it out 100 times each day. Seriously people THEY ARE DIFFERENT WORDS.

And if we could not "weight myself" too that would be fantastic.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Screw that. Full fat dairy or nothing, tyvm.

DSC_0063.JPG

I'd rather have one ounce of this than a hundred ounces of low fat anything.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Repeat after me "I want to lose weight so my clothes will be loose"

I'd like everyone who can't tell the difference to write it out 100 times each day. Seriously people THEY ARE DIFFERENT WORDS.

And if we could not "weight myself" too that would be fantastic.

weight a minute! weight a cotton pickin' minute!
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    To all you so called "experts" ... if losing weight is such a "science" then why is losing weight so hard for so many people...how many different conflicting information has there been through the years.... you have your opinion and that is fine, I respect that, but you are not necessarily "right"... next year there will be new theories and new facts and new opinions... the bottom line we all have the right to believe what we want and post what we want.... I've read the word "stupid" too many times to respect you "experts".... here's a saying for you to follow, "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" and that is "correct" advice
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

no its people who have no proper knowledge try stepping up and start spreading wrong information across the internet.

Saying we dont have enough respect for people is ridiculous

Btw it has nothing to do with "what works for him"

There is scientific evidence and you cannot fight the laws of thermodynamics to create BS across the website. There is always an underlying factor of why things occur a certain way.
    I slept on the floor and lost weight.
    forget the fact i was eating less calories I utilized daily

therefore sleeping on the floor made me lose weight.

Spreading around wrong information just makes the world a dumber place. Especially when people says "its my body" or "it worked for me"

You are no special snowfalke in the eyes of thermodynamics and basic functions of each macronutrient.

Floor-Sleeping.jpg239271766_e749f45c24.jpg6863302569_b0499ff193_z.jpg Exhibits A, B, & C. Yep, nothing but slim folks! Anything can be "proven" on the internet.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    1 rule: 1) Eat a little less than you normally do
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I believed you until you spelled exercise wrong....

That's where I stopped, too.
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    And for all of those who made a comment about any typos made... you must feel blessed to be so perfect not to make mistakes in life... I hope if you ever become human and make a mistake nobody ridicules you as you have done to others....