What apps help keep you on track?

Options
I find I'm relying more and more on my phone apps, everything from Nook to read books to productivity apps. I'm always on the hunt for new apps. What apps (besides MFP) do you use to help you meet your fitness goals?

Here are some I use/like (not all of them are truly fitness-related but help me stay on track:

- SmartGoals - allows you to set goals (in my case gym attendance and healthy eating) and earn "points" for achieving them.
- Endomondo - pretty popular, especially for running/walking
- EveryMove - an MFP friend told me about this. I just downloaded and so far I like it.
- ZipList - meal planner and grocery list maker in one app. Syncs with Google calendar.
- FitRadio and Pandora - helps chisel away the time on cardio equipment.
- Nook - I have a Nook tablet, but I find it's just as easy to read books on my phone while I'm doing cardio.

What are your favorite apps and why?

Replies

• RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    In addition to a few you mentioned, I like "Get Running" which is a couch to 5 k app that tells me when to walk and run and lets me use my own playlist.

I also love Strava for the competition and I just recently found Cycle Coach which is like having a spin instructor on your iphone.

Most of the time I use Endomondo - I have the premium service on their website (affordable yearly subscription) which lets me analyze my heart rate zones.

My latest purchase (not app related) that I LOVE are my Jaybird Blue Buds X bluetooth earphones. They are awesome - I love being free to walk around and hear music regardless of where my iphone is. This is really handy at the gym.

You gotta love technology.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I also have a pretty full stable of phone apps related to fitness (phitness?)

MFP, of course
    BodyMedia Fit (I have the link armband. For me, the combo of MFP and BMF is really the most important tech I have going)
    Withings (I have a blood pressure monitor
    C25K free and 10K free from zen labs - recently finished c25k, and will continue with 10K
    RunKeeper
    MapMyRide (considering combining those and using MapMyFitness)

other than the C25K/10K apps, which don't collect any data anyway, they all share back and forth.

I also import data from BMF, MFP, and Withings, as well as data from my fancy scale that measures weight, BF%, skeletal muscle%, visceral fat, and calculates BMI, resting metabolism, and "body age," but has no ap, into a rather complex excel spreadsheet with all sorts of pivot charts summarizing and graphing my progress. I like pretty charts, and some of the charts from the aps. Doing that has actually helped me make decisions based on real data - for example, I feared I was loosing too much lean mass as my weight was dropping faster than I planned, but it turns out it wasn't. Until recently, and now it is, so I'm going to be more diligent about strength training and eating enough calories...
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    MFP, obvioulsy
    Nike+
    8tracks...awesome playlists for workin out

I did a 1 week trial for gympact...where you get paid to work out, and pay them if you miss workouts...but heard bad things so never subscribed.

Those are the only three I really use :P So, this is more of a bump to check the other stuff out
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I like Map My Walk and, now that the weather is getting more springlike, Map My Ride for my bicycle. I love that they track my route, speed, distance and even altitude. I get a pretty accurate calorie burn and its very easy to use. My only regret is that it isn't synched with MFP...maybe someday. :)
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP obviously! And Spark Recipes! Love it!!! It has tons of healthy recipes. You can search for whatever you are interested in and save the ones you like to favorites. I also downloaded Strava Cycling but I haven't used it yet. My bike is messed up!:sad:
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper!! :)
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MFP obviously
    Nike Running +
    21k Runner
    myWod but looking forward to checking out some of the others mentioned!
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    *MFP (of course)
    *MapMyRide (this really helped me figure out the distance/incline of my bike commute)
    *Fitocracy (this is a lot more fitness-focused than MFP and helps track a variety of different cardio and strength exercises)
    *WomanLog Pro (this is a good app for women to track menstrual cycles, weight, headaches/bodyaches, etc. and helps make me more aware of how my body works and how different parts of my cycle affect my weight, appetite, and general sense of well-being)
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump for tomorrow
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    In addition to a few you mentioned, I like "Get Running" which is a couch to 5 k app that tells me when to walk and run and lets me use my own playlist.

Another app like this is Interval Run, except it has Couch to 5k, Gateway to 8k, and 1 Hour Runner pre-programmed in, and you can also create your own runs with run/walk intervals. You just turn on your music, and then the app will briefly interrupt your music when it is time for you to switch between running and walking. I've started using it for C25K and it's awesome.

I also like an app called Schedule Planner (by Intersog Utilities) because it has a space for your planned schedule, then a space for what you actually did (so you can keep track of whether you actually spent the time on what you meant to spend it on, and plan around common interruptions, etc). It also breaks down your schedule by time spent on certain activities, so you can budget 4% of your day for fitness, or whatever.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! I know I'm not using my smart phone as much as I could be - I'll be back tomorrow to check some of these out - keep 'em coming!
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention earlier...

I've not used it yet myself, but I'm tempted to try out the "You Are Your Own Gym" app for bodyweight strength training. There's a related book for women (Body By You) that starts with easier routines and has more progressions, so I might try that first since I currently don't do any strength training.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention earlier...

I've not used it yet myself, but I'm tempted to try out the "You Are Your Own Gym" app for bodyweight strength training. There's a related book for women (Body By You) that starts with easier routines and has more progressions, so I might try that first since I currently don't do any strength training.

I've downloaded this app and am going to start it on Mon/Tue. I've reviewed the workout routines and I'm really excited to get it started. It looks like it will work wonders.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I found Nike Training Club.
    Helps when I can't figure out what to do for a workout.

I was using Nexercise till they boogered up the point system and it's not worth it.

Nike+ for running
    Endomondo for walking/hiking with the kiddos
    Libra to track trends in my weight
    Fooducate

I have a few c25k apps but I like the podcasts that I can run with NIke+

oh and
    an Interval Timer that is linked up to "pocket change"
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I use:
    MFP
    Allrecipes (so many great recipes)
    C25K
    FitBit
    You Are Your Own Gym
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Wow! Looking forward to trying several of these apps! Thanks for the suggestions.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    MFP all the wayyy
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Runtastic pedometer, push ups, sit ups and squats
    Fitoctacy
    Nike + running
    Nike training club
    Zombies, Run
    Zombies, Run 5k training
    Yogify
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    MFP, woot!
    Map My Run- I feel like it is a bit more accurate on estimating calories when I'm on a free run and also tells me every time I finished a mile and tells me how long it took. I love realizing my normal walking is way faster than 3.0 mph and I can run faster than 5.0mph, I was so mistaken :ohwell: