Whole Milk VS. Low Fat/ Non-fat Milk

Options
I am not sure if this has been a topic in the past. However, I am rather curious on the general consensus here, given that there has been much debate by nutritionists on whole milk VS low-fat/ non-fat milk.

Personally, I am partial to whole milk because of the general taste. I've grown up loving milk and when I have gone through years of drinking the skim stuff. Somehow, it just didn't cut it for me. I found that it didn't satisfy me the way whole milk did.

What are your thoughts on this MFP?

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Whole milk. I like my fats, they're satiating. And it tastes better, in my opinion.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There is a higher fat to protein ratio in whole milk v skim. This explains why when I moved from 2% to skim that I felt worse since I'm allergic to casien. If you want the extra calories from whole and don't mind, go for it.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    “There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water lying about being milk.”
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I vote whole. It tastes better and has been less messed-around-with.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole milk for its taste and protein content. Skim milk/ 2% / fat free just doesn't taste like milk. Its like adding water to your glass of milk. Whole milk for me all the way - May be because I also grew up drinking fresh whole milk direct from the farms :smile:
  • MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I want to quote everyone and say thanks for your speedy replies!!!

I am so glad I am not alone in this! YAY TEAM WHOLE MILK!!!!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do organic fat free milk, i mainly use it for protein drinks so taste doesn't matter as I hardly taste it :). I do it for the low calories
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I was raised on skim milk, and so I am partial to that. Whole milk tastes thick and gross to me.

I can't speak to health benefits from one to the other though. If you like whole milk, I think you should drink it and just make it fit in to your calorie allotment.

I think it is weird that humans are one of the only animals who continue to drink milk past weaning.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this has been a topic in the past. However, I am rather curious on the general consensus here, given that there has been much debate by nutritionists on whole milk VS low-fat/ non-fat milk.

Personally, I am partial to whole milk because of the general taste. I've grown up loving milk and when I have gone through years of drinking the skim stuff. Somehow, it just didn't cut it for me. I found that it didn't satisfy me the way whole milk did.

What are your thoughts on this MFP?

I'm the opposite. I grew up with whole milk and have always thought it was vile. I used to put ice in it. Soon as I got my own place it was skim for me. I can tolerate 2% and can cook with whole but can't drink it. *shudders* For me it's about taste vs fat and calories.

Now yogurt on the other hand, there is NOTHING like whole yogurt, yum.
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    Everything in moderation I say. I don't really drink too much milk any more but when I do it's whole. I drink almond milk in my cereal now but that's just b/c nobody else in my house will drink it all.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you have room in your calorie budget, pick whatever you prefer to drink :happy:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    “There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water lying about being milk.”

Tell that to my sinuses LOL :laugh:
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I only like the taste of skim, I could never stomach whole milk, I would feel like I was chewing it it would be so thick. I have drank skim for 25 years. Even 2% tastes horrible to me.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Less sugar in whole milk than low or non-fat... because the fat is removed/reduced, dairies add sugar to improve the taste. If you are watching your sugar intake (like many diabetics), drink whole milk with crushed ice. The ice will slowly melt in the milk, reducing the calories a bit and the taste is awesome!
  • MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do organic fat free milk, i mainly use it for protein drinks so taste doesn't matter as I hardly taste it :). I do it for the low calories

That's a really good point... didn't see it that way. I don't do protein shakes (slightly out of my budget) so I suppose it's milk au naturale for me :) Thanks for your point!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Skim milk. I use it as the base for my protein shakes.. with egg beaters mixed in.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was raised on skim milk, and so I am partial to that. Whole milk tastes thick and gross to me.

I can't speak to health benefits from one to the other though. If you like whole milk, I think you should drink it and just make it fit in to your calorie allotment.

I think it is weird that humans are one of the only animals who continue to drink milk past weaning.

we are also the only beings who drink milk from another source, no other animal drinks milk from another mammal other than humans.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like HEB or Horizon organic 2%,,,,I can not tolerate 1% or skim.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For now we do 2%-I do it more for the slightly lower calories though could go either way - took forever to get my dh down to that from whole milk----though if I can get it I prefer Raw Milk - makes the best milkshakes and mac & Cheese is so much creamier :)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I hate milk.