fluctuations - starting to wonder if my scales are bung...

sassyg
sassyg Posts: 393
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
OK

I understand how our weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day with food eaten, water drunk, sodium, and so on and so forth.

But I think that this is a bit beyond ridiculous, and wondering if it sounds like my scales are actually not working correctly - for the record, they're digital, I use them on a hard floor, and have tried changing the battery.

Also, I've been doing these 'tests' because I've been trying to figure them out, NOT because I'm obsessively checking my weight :wink: so no telling me off :laugh:

1. weigh myself, drink a glass of water, weigh myself again: according to my scales consuming a glass of water made me lose 700 grams

2. weigh myself with clothes (jeans, thick jacket and shoes) on. take them off, weigh again: according to my scales I've gained 1200 grams

3. weigh myself, no clothing, immediately before bed. Sleep, don't eat or drink anything in the night. get up in the morning. pee. weigh again: gained 600 grams.

These are examples, I've been testing this over the course of a few weeks now and have been getting similar whacked out results, but ocassionally do get one that makes sense, so its not even consistent!

Does this sound right?
I mean fluctuations are one thing, but to weigh more by taking clothing off? to weigh less by ingesting 250 grams of fluid?
Is that normal?

Replies

• Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Hmmmm, the only thing I can say is that maybe you have a defective scale? Have you had it for long?? I work in a housewares store, and we sell a lot of food scales. Occasionally you will get a return because of a manufacture defect. Trade it in where you bought it if you can, and if the new one does the same thing return it and try something else...
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    yeah it's normal. I only log my first AM weight (after pee) once a week. My weight will flucutate up to 3lbs during the day. (of course I weigh multiple times a day, its habbit!) I've gotten a feel for what is normal for me. For example, I know what my max Am weight should be and what my MAX pm weight should be. Sometimes you will see the results of yesterdays salt binge on the scale tomorrow, or sweat so much you loose, then replinish your fuids and gain in the AM. Just don't get yourself all freaked out over those flutuations. :)
  • sassyg
    yeah it's normal. I only log my first AM weight (after pee) once a week. My weight will flucutate up to 3lbs during the day. (of course I weigh multiple times a day, its habbit!) I've gotten a feel for what is normal for me. For example, I know what my max Am weight should be and what my MAX pm weight should be. Sometimes you will see the results of yesterdays salt binge on the scale tomorrow, or sweat so much you loose, then replinish your fuids and gain in the AM. Just don't get yourself all freaked out over those flutuations. :)

Yes I understand daily and day to day fluctuations as I said, but these are just screwy.

So you're saying it sounds normal to weigh, drink a glass of water, weigh again immediately, no other changes, and have somehow lost a pound and a half? or to gain 3 pounds by taking your clothes off?
    I mean, i'm not comparing these to a morning or lowest weight, i'm comparing them to a 2 minutes beforehand weight
  • sassyg
    Hmmmm, the only thing I can say is that maybe you have a defective scale? Have you had it for long?? I work in a housewares store, and we sell a lot of food scales. Occasionally you will get a return because of a manufacture defect. Trade it in where you bought it if you can, and if the new one does the same thing return it and try something else...

we got it for a wedding gift in August 2003. It's a Salter brand, so not cheap either!

I've taken to doing my weigh-ins on my parcel scales here @ work, they weigh about 2kg too heavy, but at least I can see a general downward trend! I just have to make sure I wear the same clothes each Wednesday! :laugh:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member

Yes I understand daily and day to day fluctuations as I said, but these are just screwy.

So you're saying it sounds normal to weigh, drink a glass of water, weigh again immediately, no other changes, and have somehow lost a pound and a half? or to gain 3 pounds by taking your clothes off?
    I mean, i'm not comparing these to a morning or lowest weight, i'm comparing them to a 2 minutes beforehand weight

yup that is what I'm saying :smile: most home scales are not going to be 100% accurate. If you stand in a slightly different spot, or angle your body your going to get a different result. I've stepped off and right back on to see a 2 lbs difference. I don't think there is anything wrong with your scale, but if you think so then see about returning it or getting a new scale.
  • sassyg
    oh man, that sucks! i thought digital ones were meant to be more accurate.

I don't think I'll bother getting a new one, I'll just carry on using my one at work instead :huh:
  • catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    I think your scale is messed up. I weigh on alot on mine and step off and weigh again and always get almost the same exact number! I think you need to invest in a scale. How could you lose a 1.5 after drinking water? Get a new scale:)
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    My scale does this too, and it's really annoying. I can tell I'm losing weight because my clothes fit better and because the trend is going down, but sometimes, I'll step on the scale in full dress and then again after removing my clothes, and ta-da! My clothes must weigh absolutely nothing because it's the same weight!

Now, to be fair, my scale is about 3 years old. It's a Weight Watchers digital scale I got using my credit card points. I've never changed the battery.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    have you tried weighing something that you know the weight of? Like some dumbells to see if it is accurate or if it changes with those? Just an idea.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,760 Member
    My scale does the same thing. I tested my 3 pound weights on it just to make sure it was accurate and it was. I tried it several times and moved the scale around the room - I got the same weight every time.
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 132 Member
    Yeah I think it sounds messed up ay. I like the dumbells idea. Can you put something of a confirmed weight on it (like a dumbell) then add something else of a confirmed weight and see if the change is accurate?

Otherwise I guess drinking water really is the key to losing weight! Lol.

Are you still seeing the bigger downward trend as well as on your work scales? It might be a bit wacky for small amounts but more trustworthy for bigger amounts?
  • sassyg
    Hmmm, I'll try it with some water in a bucket, see how it changes.
This discussion has been closed.