Serious lack of forum support

Options
I don't know if people have hit that point in time when they quit working towards their New Years goals but I'm finding there's a serious lack of support lately on the MFP forums! I've posted three things in the last few days looking for support and motivation and nothin! No responses! Beyond my current MFP pals, no one is really reaching out at all! That sucks! Anyone else finding this too?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't start a lot of posts but most posts I reply to end up with a large number of other posts.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It happens sometimes. Don't give up. Bump the post occasionally if you have not found an answer.

And if you have room on your friends' list -- there are people with similar backgrounds out there who may be looking for friends.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i fond it's easier to get support and motivation from people on my friend's list. the forums are just too generic
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Just remember there are lots of people on here and sometimes topics get buried. It's nothing personal. Just keep bumping your threads.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it also depends when you post the question, the forum is busier at some times than others, and if you have your feed settings to let your friends know when you created a topic or replied to one, you're also more likely to get an answer.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There are a few Insanity groups on here that you might want to check out for support.

Edited to add the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What kind of support do you need?
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have found the forums to be rude and snarky! I like the groups and my pals
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've stopped using this site, occasionally Ill log on to see if I can find a recipe or whatever. A few people added me as a friend to begin with. I lost motivation and stopped using this site and where it says 'wrecktechno hasn't logged on for 2 months or whatever. She might need some encouragement', my 'friends' wouldn't message me to ask me why I hadn't logged on and I think that's all I probably would have needed to keep going.

So now I keep a super super basic excel spread sheet of the times, distance, km rate, calories burned etc when I exercise and whether I have a good food day or bad food day and that's all I need to be motivated. Provided most days are good food days and I'm improving my times, I don't really care too much. Also helps that my flatmates are training for a half marathon and I'm secretly trying to catch up to them - they push me and I try and keep up to them haha.

This site is too much effort and I feel like except if you're exceptional in either losing weight, giving advice or burning calories, you're just another member who no one really notices. What I'm trying to say is, if you have added someone as a friend, you should be encouraging when they are doing well and demand to know why they haven't logged in for a few days when they disappear - your words could be the difference between failure and success. Not having any support from my 'friend's completely demotivated me. Sad but true :( (I speak only for myself in regards to the above. I am sure this site is fantastic for a vast majority of people)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have found the forums to be rude and snarky! I like the groups and my pals

^^ ditto, I creeper look through forum posts to find friends :) then I go to groups that I seem to have a lot of friends in to be better accepted
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've stopped using this site, occasionally Ill log on to see if I can find a recipe or whatever. A few people added me as a friend to begin with. I lost motivation and stopped using this site and where it says 'wrecktechno hasn't logged on for 2 months or whatever. She might need some encouragement', my 'friends' wouldn't message me to ask me why I hadn't logged on and I think that's all I probably would have needed to keep going.

So now I keep a super super basic excel spread sheet of the times, distance, km rate, calories burned etc when I exercise and whether I have a good food day or bad food day and that's all I need to be motivated. Provided most days are good food days and I'm improving my times, I don't really care too much. Also helps that my flatmates are training for a half marathon and I'm secretly trying to catch up to them - they push me and I try and keep up to them haha.

This site is too much effort and I feel like except if you're exceptional in either losing weight, giving advice or burning calories, you're just another member who no one really notices. What I'm trying to say is, if you have added someone as a friend, you should be encouraging when they are doing well and demand to know why they haven't logged in for a few days when they disappear - your words could be the difference between failure and success. Not having any support from my 'friend's completely demotivated me. Sad but true :( (I speak only for myself in regards to the above. I am sure this site is fantastic for a vast majority of people)

Are these people you've had on your friend list for a while? Otherwise, I'd say you were just unlucky with the people you befriended. Also, it's the internet - lots of people are easily able to not care about anything on here.

Give it another shot imo.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't check the forums as much as I used to because the same questions seem to get asked over and over. It could just be fatigue that is causing fewer people to answer.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i felt the same way when i first started here but i found a group that was doing the same workout plan as me which helped a lot. just find out what type of support you are looking for and go join a community, the support is definitely more genuine and tailored. good luck!
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    As one of my MFP friends wrote lately: " Self motivation comes first! That's part of the reason I've lost 40 so far. I stopped waiting on someone to motivate me. Once you're mentally there yourself, YOU GO IT! The rest will come."

I've been trying for 40 years and I'm telling you this is it. Doing it for yourself and digging down deep and finding that something in you why you want to do this and the mind set that this is the way it is. Only one of you and your worth being healthy and happy and as far as weight is concerned not to keep wasting your life worrying about it or putting yourself down because its not the way you would like to be. Only you can make it happen. Only you are with yourself 24/7. And no matter how many people try to motivate you when you turn off your computer you are there with yourself. Any negative thoughts need to be turned around with positive, its the only way. Be kind to yourself your going to be with her a long time. :)
    BTW I have lots 20lbs in the last 6 weeks having this attitude. Have a ton more but little at a time I will get there.

In saying all that it doesn't hurt for someone to give a cheering comment every now and again but don't depend on your success for it. At the end of the day you will be the winner. You can do this. I think also what has helped me is finding out more information what is in our food and just educating myself.

Good luck honey. Friend me if you like.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    It happens sometimes. Its sometimes wrong time of the day or just wrong day. Its also sometimes that so many posts are being made that your thread gets "lost". Just keep bumping or do what I do and find people who're extremely knowledgeable on certain topics and ask them for advice directly :)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    As one of my MFP friends wrote lately: " Self motivation comes first! That's part of the reason I've lost 40 so far. I stopped waiting on someone to motivate me. Once you're mentally there yourself, YOU GO IT! The rest will come."

In saying all that it doesn't hurt for someone to give a cheering comment every now and again but don't depend on your success for it. At the end of the day you will be the winner. You can do this.

THIS TOTALLY!

You have to want it for you. You have to be your own motivator. You have to depend on you. I have friends and I encourage them and I let them cheer me on. Spend some time in the success stories thread. I do let other's successes motivate me. If they did it then I can, too. I ask for help when I need it but at the end of the day I'm putting the food in and getting the energy out.
  • sweets7664
    Options

Spend some time in the success stories thread. I do let other's successes motivate me. If they did it then I can, too.

This is my suggestion as well. I've been doing this lately as a boost when needed. I understand people get busy (myself included), but when you try to be friendly and get nothing or ignored in return, it can definitely be a downer.
  • samanthalee87
    Options
    Thanks for the huge responses everyone! I'm definitely a huge self-motivator but would be nice sometimes to have it from others as well. Usually my posts get a lot of feedback but over the last week or so I got MAYBE 1 or 2 responses. And I mean the forums are meant for support! So was just a bit frustrated but all this helps and it's good to know some others have experienced the same as I have.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the self-motivation!! I also agree with browsing through the Success stories. I am doing the 30 Day Shred and I keep looking at those stories to help keep me going.
    The forums can be completely ignorant. I have posted topics just asking people on their personal experiences with Hashimotos thyroiditis, and I get lectures on going to the doctors and I shouldnt be looking for help on here. When really, I was just making conversation with people who have similar health problems. Some people on here are extremely rude and think they know everything.
    But I do understand wanting to get some support!! It feels nice to have someone say some encouraging words!! Add me if you like!!!
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I find that true as well same thing i wrote and nothin it seems u got to really reach out foor friends and send message but the foruum i agree with you