CALLING ALL MOUNTAIN BIKERS!!

Options
Hi all,
I am looking at buying a Mountain Bike for extra fitness and a bit of fun.. I am after some advice... make?? model?? dual suspension??

Well, I am an x-motocross nut so I love speed, jumps and complicated sections... so dual suspension and a rake on the front forks?? Am I on the right track here guys??

Replies

• Elby0030
    Elby0030 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm not a mountain bike expert but i have been looking at buying one recently as well. I think the Giant brand is a good way to go for a first bike, they are much better built than a crappy department store bike (kmart etc) but they are still good value and not too expensive like the top end bike. They use the Shimano / SRAM / Fox components and you get pretty good bang for your buck with the components you get for the price of the bike. One thing to note about dual suspension, if you are going to ride a lot of cross-country (ie flat sections or up hills) you will find that the rear suspension will absorb some of you peddle power, which means you'll find it harder to peddle on the flats than you would with a hard tail bike. If your riding for fitness, you might like this as you'll be working harder. The dual suspension will be heaps better for any downhill work.

The local giant dealer in my area has a pretty good reputation and they offer life time free servicing on the bike (the obvious catch here being that they want to sell you spare parts in the future, but its good to have your bike serviced). Other giant dealers may offer the same.

I have a Giant road bike, and it was great value for money and i have had no problems with it at all, so i would definitely recommend the brand. They have about 4 or 5 levels of bike within the suspension/dual suspension mountain bike range so you should be able to find something that suits your budget in there.