What do you like in your Salad

Options
2»

Replies

• treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bibb lettuce, baby spinach, shredded baked chicken, a sprinkle of cheese, and light ranch dressing.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Another Salad I like is Chicken Salad: My Recipe = (4) 3/4 C Servings

I boil one 20 oz package of raw Tyson Chicken Tenderloins then slice them up
    To the chicken I add:
    1 Cup Fat Free Kraft Mayo
    half a stock of celery sliced fine
    2 green onions sliced thin
    garlic salt
    pepper
    right before serving I add:
    1 Tbs All Natural - Almond Accents Cracked Black Pepper Sliced Almonds
    4 or 5 Red Grapes halved

Per Serving: Calories 223 Carbs 14 Fat 4 Protein 29 Sodium 767
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    my salads change a lot. i like variety. sometimes it's lettuce with veggies and vinaigrette, sometimes its a different lettuce with chicken and cheese. sometimes it's lettuce with tomato and mustard and a ground beef patty, cheese and a bun.....yeah, you caught me a cheeseburger. so sue me.
  • lshender
    lshender Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Depends. If it's a side dish with a protein it's a mix of greens, celery, carrots and tomato. If it's dinner I also add hard boiled egg, chicken (I use the Perdue Short Cuts), hard cheese and bacon.
  • andrewdazgray
    andrewdazgray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been loving baby spinach and arugala, with strawberries and carrots. If I want to add more, maybe some chunked tuna and a bit of cheese. Strawberries and spinach are absolutely DELICIOUS together though. I'm thinking about adding some almonds to it today to try that out.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    slathered in southwest mustard- it's a slightly spicy mustard you can make basically the same thing with a bit of adobo sauce mixed into some honey mustard. or powdered red pepper.

I rarely eat salad these days but I love sauteed greens and veggies with my scrambled eggs.

when you buy the lettuce or any kind of fresh greens, get the kind that is whole, the romaine heads or whatever kind you're getting.
    or get kale and spinach. all of those last longer than the precut bags of lettuce. it's so disappointing to buy the salad and be ready for the week, only to have it go bad 2 days later and you only ate half. go for darker greens or buy it whole when you can.

also bok choy, if bought relatively fresh lasts a really long time, mine lasted over a month.
    very low carbs, similar in taste to celery for the staulk but not as much of a problem with the strings in my teeth.
    and the leaves are better tasting and more substantial too. have it raw or throw it in stir fry :)
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sliced baby beets
    chopped oranges or tangerines
    crumbled goat cheese, especially the one with herbs and garlic
    slivered almonds
    and the old mainstays... tomato, red onion, cucumber

The more colors, the better it tastes!
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    2 c. Lettuce (Iceburg Romaine and Baby Spinach)
    14g cheese cubed
    10g raisins or craisins (sometimes a mix of both)
    5g raw pumpkin kernels or almonds (sometimes both)
    5g crunchy noodles
    28g canned chicken or tuna
    10g onion
    15g shredded carrot if i have carrots
    1tbsp lite ceaser or other lite dressing (1/2tbsp for full fat dressings)

250-350 calories for a pretty big salad.
  • lyndabraczynski
    Options
    as many veggies as I have in my fridge always add spinach and wheat germ- do really like to add either feta, goat or gouda cheese when I have it on hand.
  • c2jeske
    c2jeske Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump...yum
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump--I need to try some of these combinations!
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    5 slices of thick bacon. :laugh:
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    mixed greens
    spinach
    spicy chicken
    almonds
    cheese (preferably blue cheese or parmesan, but whatever is available)
    tomatoes
    cucumbers
    carrots
    kalamata olives
    cracked black pepper. lots of it.

spicy dressing (preferably sriracha or spicy mexican) or balsamic vinegar/olive oil mixed with pepper

havent tried chickpeas yet, but i will after seeing so many of you enjoy them!