getting past the hunger

Options
2»

Replies

• nicole_andan
    Options
    Had a look at your food diary - try substituting your milk for water with oat so simple - that'll give you 100 more calories in the evening to play with.

Also - I eat on the go too but tend to eat 'no bread' sandwiches - I see you like ham and cheese. If you grab a whole cos lettuce then you can tear off the leaves and use them as bread - that'll give you an extra 100 calories. Alternatives for lunch are some ham, carrots and a be good to yourself houmous - can have on the go and very low cal.

I'm not sure what the flapjacks you eat for breakfast are but mayeb cut those out as on those days your breakfast averages 400. If you do the oat so simple with water that'll bring it down to 143 calories only. And if you could bear it - you could use the original flavour which I think are only 99 calories then add some blueberries - that would bring it down even more.....

Hi thanks for responding. I eat home made granola bars with yoghurt on days where I don't have much milk or I've run out of porridge. I did buy some oats to make the granola bar with though so I might look up some recipes to see what I can make that's low calorie with that. My morning milk logging covers all the milk I use in a day for tea and coffee, I find it I measure it in the morning I can take it with me. But I can give the porridge a go with water instead of skimmed milk possibly with raspberries as I'm not a massive fan of blueberries.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    Try using a fiber supplement like PGX ..it will help you feel follow and keep your blood sugar from spiking with a big meal with lots of carbs in it. Drink more water before your meal ...that will also help you feel fuller.

Hello namesake!!!

Thank you for your post. I want to try really hard not to use supplements or additives, it's a personal preference I just like to know what I am eating and that it's actual produce. The only thing I haven't managed to cut out that's artificial is sweetener! And I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get rid of sweetener in tea and coffee!!!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to distinguish between "hungry" and "deprived." The first one is a physiological response, the second one is purely emotional - we feel deprived when we don't get what we want or expect, even if we don't need it.

Try the portion control, make sure you still get enough calories, and your expectations will adjust with time.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have mild hypoglycemia, and am also on a 1500 calorie diet.

I have breakfast at 6:30 (greek yogurt with honey, and 2 sausage links) - around 250 cals.

Morning snack is between 9:30 and 10:30, and is usually around 150-250 cals.

Lunch is at noon, around 300-400 cals.

Afternoon snack is 150 cals.

That leaves me with 450 calories for dinner/dessert. Because I've been eating throughout the day I'm not ravenously hungry when dinner comes around, and I don't overeat.

I'll have a slice of Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat bread with an ounce of chevre (or cheddar cheese). Or a bit of whole wheat pasta with shredded cheese.

A single Dove square of dark chocolate (or a frozen yogurt bar) is my dessert.

I think you need to make sure you're getting protein at each meal, and try to spread your calories out more.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I just shifted everything to later in the day so the only time I was hungry was in the morning which was mild hunger. I'm a 6'4 male 226 lbs and at around 2000 calories a day to lose around 30 pounds.

Originally, I would do something similar to you. Breakfast upon waking 600 Calories Lunch 600 Calories Dinner 600 Calories and a 200 calorie pre workout snack.

I changed to the below and other than in the morning I am hardly ever hungry and feel it's a big reason for my success.

"Breakfast": None, other than around 100 calories of half and half drinking morning coffee.

11 AM: "Breakfast" around 300 calories

2-3 PM: Lunch (around 500 calories)

6 PM: Preworkout (300 calories)

8PM: Postworkout (300 Calories)

10-11PM: Night Time Meal/Snack (500 Calories)

In Bed by around 11:30 with no hunger.

Obviously the cals would be smaller since you have a lower number to work with.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed potatoes
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you follow a menu that's worked out for you. Tosca Reno has an Eat Clean diet that she taylors for just about anyone. I pack a lot of food and take it around with me. She calls it "The Cooler" and tells you want to bring. She had a shopping list and recipes. I'm finding it pretty easy to follow and I don't have to think about the healthy eating thing. She's done it for me.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    I would suggest you follow a menu that's worked out for you. Tosca Reno has an Eat Clean diet that she taylors for just about anyone. I pack a lot of food and take it around with me. She calls it "The Cooler" and tells you want to bring. She had a shopping list and recipes. I'm finding it pretty easy to follow and I don't have to think about the healthy eating thing. She's done it for me.

I'll have a look at that, thank you.