New running shoes are causing me pain

Options
I think I already know the answer to this, but I want a second opinion.

I had a 'gait analysis' (sort of, there was no treadmill) done by asics and they recommended me stability shoes. They felt comfy in the shop but the first time I ran in them my arches were aching within minutes. I only did a very short run and had to keep stopping to stretch out my feet. I hoped this was just getting used to having support since my old shoes were neutral.

I wore them inside the house for a couple of days hoping to break them in, and then did another short run (3-4k). I didn't feel the ache until the end of the run but then my arches were hurting to stand all night and felt bruised.

Do I throw them out? I can't take them back now they have been used outside but I suspect I was advised wrongly and don't need support shoes at all (I was surprised because I have high arches anyway). Will they do me any harm if I wear them just for day to day stuff and not run in them?

And lastly, is it worth having another analysis done or should I just go with my instincts and switch back to neutral?

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump - anyone have any thoughts?
  • pandahead76
    pandahead76 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you'd get a refund, but I'd definitely take them back and tell them what's wrong with them--for you. Honestly, you should demand, if not a refund, a serious discount on a future purchase since your discomfort is because of their erroneous evaluation.

/two cents
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I agree- you were fitted for them but they're wrong. Take them back and see what they say. If it's a good running store, they'll stand behind them and exchange them for you
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If they recommended the shoe, I'd take them back to them--worn or not.

I had a gait analysis and the shoe recommended for me gave me not one iota of a problem. When I think back on how I've had to break in every stinking pair of shoes (I mean working past blisters and toe issues), I could throw up. This pair of shoes (Nike Pegasus--I have a neutral gate with no issues one way or the other) felt like Nike used my foot when designing it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you'd get a refund, but I'd definitely take them back and tell them what's wrong with them--for you. Honestly, you should demand, if not a refund, a serious discount on a future purchase since your discomfort is because of their erroneous evaluation.

/two cents

might not be erroneous. Perhaps Asics wanted to make sure the OP left with asics shoes no matter what? And the OP didn't have a gait analysis.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If they are hurting then I highly suggest you replace them immediately. I don't think breaking them in by walking is a great idea either, but ultimately they shouldn't be hurting.

As far as another analysis, I definitely recommend it (I do it before I buy each and every pair of shoes I buy), but I would go to an independent track shop and not to a name brand like the Ascics store you went to. I find i do best when I don't know the brand of the shoes I'm trying because then I'm not swayed, some it's obvious when you look at them but I try not to even do that much.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    The insoles should be removable. Can you try them with either no insoles or buy some lower arch insoles?

I'd go back to the store, like the previous poster suggested.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If it was at a decent running store, they should take them back even if you used them outside. I just bought some last weekend that I'll be taking back and I confirmed that I COULD take them back even if I ran outside with them.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    On second thought, take them back. They shouldn't hurt your feet!
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    From my days in the retail industry they will generally exchange the shoes or give store credit if it's been within a reasonable time since purchase, 30-60 days is pretty standard. It's worth a shot to take them back in. Running shoes are so important and can be very expensive.
  • FitChimi
    FitChimi Posts: 41
    Options
    Sounds like Plantar Faciitis. It's common in people with high arches. (have high arches and am recovering from PT). I just was fitted for running shoes and they had me try on medium stability. They had a treadmill at the store so I was able to run before purchasing.
    If it were me I'd try to take them back and get something that doesn't cause pain.
  • athenasurrenders
    Options
    Sadly the shop I went to is pretty far away (went while visiting family over Easter) so just dropping in isn't going to be an option. I suppose I can look for contact details and email them about it. Does anyone have any suggestions how I should phrase it? I'm not very good at being assertive or asking for things.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    That's a bummer! You don't mention the specific shoe, and that can matter. Obviously fit and preference will vary from person to person, but shoe design matters too. For example, I wear Asics Kayano 18's and love them, but I have read a lot of bad reviews about the new 19's. And as others have said, I would take them back and let them know what's happening. They may work with you since you bought on their recommendation. Also, do you use inserts? I have to have inserts with good arch support. I currently use Sole Dean Karnazes but have also used Superfeet Green with success. Might be worth a try, I have found that inserts can totally transform a shoe - from unacceptable to sublime!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I agree- you were fitted for them but they're wrong. Take them back and see what they say. If it's a good running store, they'll stand behind them and exchange them for you
    THIS...I'm sure you paid a LOT for them....
  • FitChimi
    FitChimi Posts: 41
    Options
    Question... are you new to running or have you been running before in different shoes with no pain? If new to running it may be that your feet and calves are stiff and causing it and not the shoes.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Sadly the shop I went to is pretty far away (went while visiting family over Easter) so just dropping in isn't going to be an option. I suppose I can look for contact details and email them about it. Does anyone have any suggestions how I should phrase it? I'm not very good at being assertive or asking for things.

Oh blah-blah date I was at your store and was fitted with these blah-blah shoes. I love the shoes, but they don't work for me and cause me pain when running. I would like to return them please!
  • athenasurrenders
    Options
    Question... are you new to running or have you been running before in different shoes with no pain? If new to running it may be that your feet and calves are stiff and causing it and not the shoes.

New-ish but I had been running in some cheap-ish Everlast shoes for 4-5 months without problems, I figured when they started wearing out it was time for an upgrade.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I first got fitted for my shoes I had aches under the arches but it was just a case of my feet getting used to having support there for the first time. Bit like when I started back on a push bike my rear end was sore the first few times I rode till I got used to it :laugh:
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    When I first got fitted for my shoes I had aches under the arches but it was just a case of my feet getting used to having support there for the first time. Bit like when I started back on a push bike my rear end was sore the first few times I rode till I got used to it :laugh:

this is what I was thinking. I have very flat feet, so anything with arch support makes my feet ache just because I'm not used to having the shoe actually push up my arches.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    if the shop has a facebook page / twitter page, echo your concerns there as well. Even if they typically don't stand by their product, they may be more likely to do so in the public (social media) arena.