HITTING A WALL

Options
Help! I am stuck at this weight. It seems like I lose a few then gain one back and yo-yo with 5 pounds back and forth. I workout religiously every Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I go to the gym and do spinning, cardio, weights. On Wed, Thursday and Friday I wake up and do Yoga or some other workout toning video in my home. I eat healthy around 1200 calories a day... i just dont get it. Any suggestions to jumpstart my weight loss again?? Im getting discouraged. Im 5'11 165-170 depending on the day. lol :-)

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to eat a bit more.
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the not eating enough.Why then is there a 1200 calorie on MFP? I am set to lose 1 pound a week at 1240 calories.I am losing inches with the exercising but only about 1/2 pound a week or less. right now a loss is a loss. Try not eating all your exercise calories.You hit a plateau and that is really hard to break through.My body seems to be very comfortable at 168 pounds but I am not yet. I don't think I will get to the 145 that the chart says I should be at 5'4 but I feel great and am getting compliments. Don't give up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1540. Now add in all the exercise you do along with regular work, chore activities and you're probably well into 2000's.
    Find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is and subtract 500 calories from it. That's what you should eat to start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    At 5'11" you should definitely be eating more than 1200..however are you tracking everything religiously? With a scale?

How long have you given it?

I'd start with 1500, tracked carefully, and give it a good 6 weeks to see change.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're just not eating enough. Your body doesn't know you're not starving, so it's holding on to whatever fat you have for self-preservation. Also, make sure you're getting in plenty of healthy, saturated fats with MCTs like coconut oil and butter.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You are either not logging carefully enough, and eating more than you think you are, or you think you are burning more in exercise than you actually are, or both. If you were in an actual calorie deficit, you would be losing weight. Your metabolism cannot slow down enough to erase a deficit. It simply cannot. I eat the number of calories you think you are, am 6'3", and lose very steadily and predictably. Weigh and measure all your food religiously, and if you are truly in a deficit, you will lose.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the not eating enough.Why then is there a 1200 calorie on MFP? I am set to lose 1 pound a week at 1240 calories.I am losing inches with the exercising but only about 1/2 pound a week or less. right now a loss is a loss. Try not eating all your exercise calories.You hit a plateau and that is really hard to break through.My body seems to be very comfortable at 168 pounds but I am not yet. I don't think I will get to the 145 that the chart says I should be at 5'4 but I feel great and am getting compliments. Don't give up!

A loss is a loss, until you start losing the wrong kind of weight. You'll pay for it sooner or later. A higher calorie count with respect to BMR and TDEE is more sustainable in the long run and will ensure you have adequate nutrition. The whole 1200 thing on MFP is incorrect, hence the Road Map posts that everyone refers to when people seek advice on plateaus.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight for your height and your body is probably pretty happy.

I recommend that you eat more and add more weights to your workouts. This can reshape your body and hopefully help you be happier with your shape.

1200 is based on a sedentary, 5'4 woman at about 120 pounds: you are not any of those things, nor should you aim to be.