NEED SOME OPINIONS PLEASE

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Iv always had a problem with the scale not because it wouldnt go down but because it wasnt accurate. Well i had bought a 70 dollar one from best buy which was a digital one. It was never right...it was so frustrating.

I finally bought a 20 dollar analog one and it works well minus always having to try and squint to read the little numbers. So my question is i want to go buy a brand new digital scale. Nothing fancy but I dont want to get frustrated and i have been tracking my 33 pound loss since jan with this same scale. How do i find a scale that will match the analog reading or do you think i should just stick with the one i have? I thought about weighing in close and shoes before i leave the house and then go to buy one in store and weighing there but i know that the surface can make a difference.

I also hate adjusting the little needle to be on zero always. Sometimes i have to be slighly ahead of the zero and step and get off so that its dead on and although thats not a big deal i just want a big reading that flashes haha and i dont have to squint....any suggestions?:huh:

Replies

• i think you should stick with the one you have. simply because if that one doesnt weigh exactly the same way as another you might get discouraged if it says you weigh more. its hard to explain but i hope you get it!
  • nrward07
    nrward07 Posts: 1 Member
    Personally, I would stick with the same scale too. Analog are often just as accurate as digital, and it's been working for you fine so far. Why waste the money when you could buy something fun for yourself to reward your hard work? :smile:
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    I bought a digital scale for about 30 bucks at target a few years ago. I don't know how accurate it is, but to me it's perfect because it's the only one I use. I think you should just find something you like and stick with it. How much does it really matter if it's 100% accurate, you just need to have one that you consistently use so you can track your progress. Good luck!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,031 Member
    I agree with Melissa. I googled "home scale reviews," and here's the first link that came up:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/bathroom-scales

There were lots more, so you easily do a little research online before you decide which one is right for you. Have fun!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    My advice is to buy the digital scale. When I started MFP, I was using an analog scale. Now five months later, with my weight loss at a standstill, I was wondering just how much I had actually lost. I bought a digital scale that measures weight, body fat, and body water percentages and boy, was I shocked. I had actually lost only 8lbs instead of the 12lbs I thought I was at.

I, too, got really frustrated with trying to set the scale to zero and I was using a flashlight to try and read the itty-bitty little lines to tell my exact weight. The biggest frustration was finding out that I've been not getting an accurate reading for so long.

I think you will be very happy with a digital scale. You don't have to get one with all of the bells and whistles, but you will get a much more accurate reading and will be happier.
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Have you tried putting weights on it to see how far it is off or if it's right? I thought mine was way off until I put weights on it. Turns out it was correct. I always measure with weights before I weigh in and I do it once a week. That is with a analog one, the digital one that I had been using was actually wrong.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Dont get me wrong my analog scale is VERY accurate havent wanted to throw it out the window once :laugh: i just want a digital reading thats why i ask....i had a digital and i did the weight thing and id get on and it would give me three different readings and that was the expensive one so im just torn....:huh:
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    I'm not going to be of any help, but I'm glad you tossed the question out for discussion. My daughter gave us an expensive scale, but I became so frustrated with it giving quite different readings just minutes apart that I went out and bought myself a different digital scale. Well, on some days it also gave unreliable results. My husband and I have talked about this on several occasions with no answers as to why this happens. He thought maybe the batteries needed replaced - but I say that "shouldn't" be the case for NEW scales.

I will admit that I actually took an average of a couple of readings when the weighins that were repeated within a couple minutes produced quite different numbers. I've actually been wondering if any scale is consistently accurate - always showing the "same" weight when one steps on it several times in a minute or two.

Thanks for posting your question and I'll continue watching to see what others have to say about scales...
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    My scale is very consistent. I ususally weigh myself twice in the morning to see if the scale is trying to fake me out. I've only caught it in a lie one time...the first reading was almost a pound heavier. Not sure what happened. But it's been a really good scale. It's a Healthometer scale. It measures body fat but I don't know how accurate that part is, I never do it.
This discussion has been closed.