Running with kids who won't go in stroller?

Options
2»

Replies

• mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take my kid to the high school track. Sometimes he'll want to "race" me, sometimes he does his own thing and sometimes he just sits on the bleachers and watches me but either way I can do my thing and know where he is at the same time.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My son and I have made up a range of games: Pirate Ships and Galleons, where there are different levels and I have to be harder to catch, depending on the level; Stop and Go, where we walk until DS says go, when we run, then walk again if he says stop; What's the Time Mr Shark, which is just a longer version of What's the Time Mr Wolf; and Park in the Dark where he takes his bike out with me, to the park, in the dark (obviously :laugh:).

It must be harder with two children, but most of the above must have started when my son was 4. Before that he was on my back when I walked places. I did 30 DS late at night.

I'm due in September, and this time I'll be eager to get back to running, so I may have to persuade dh to do some baby sitting. I like to think there are long term benefits for my son in walking with me, rather than being pushed. In addition he is hyper mobile so has been 'prescibed' additional exercise too. I don't drive either, so a willingness to walk is part of being my child :wink:
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When mine were that age and could still go in the jogging stroller, I would pack books, toys and snack for them. At that time I could run up to 6 miles with them in the jogger. It's worth a shot!
  • adrianmelaniesobers
    Options
    I don't own a jogging stroller just a baby jogger city select, not made to run!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My kids join me on their bikes sometimes when I run. My daughter hasn't mastered the brakes yet so I have to run really fast to keep up with her.

I have also done laps around the school track while my kids play where I can watch them. It is not ideal but at least I get to work out.
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Time your workout to coincide with their snack times. Take them out to a playground, etc first to tire them out a little, then put them in stroller & give them a snack, and get to stepping ;)

Tell them that if they behave one way, you'll let them down and let them walk the way back (I did this with my son when he was smaller).

Playground where you can walk around the perimeter, and they can play safely.

Put them on bicycles/trike.

Good luck!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    There is a free online link on Runner's World for moms....I remember a bunch of posts on this issue.

Here are some of my ideas:

1) Make it fun by running somewhere the kids would like to go--the park, the zoo, a library

2) Make it fun by playing a game of "who can see a red car?" " A cat in the window?" "Pink roses?" "Hear a train?"

3) Pose the question: I wonder what we should do AFTER our run? Let them brainstorm a fun idea [jump on the bed for 5 minutes, read them a favorite book]

4) Bribery....I've got stickers for kids who ride in the stroller for 10 minutes....

Also consider that your stroller may be uncomfortable....try Craig's List? A sports store for a cheap jogging stroller....it will be safer and hopefully more comfortable.

Finally, maybe you can trade with another mom so you can go alone?

Good luck---don't give up!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    makem run next to you...time for urrbody to get fit!!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Do they know how to ride bikes?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    tell them to get in the stroller or stay home.