Is it possible to be drinking too much water?

Options
2»

Replies

• Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LEt me be CLEAR on this , 1.
    8 glasses is a minimum , bigger you are , more you need .
    my husband and DD were both shocked when i explained to them the need for more water than the 8 glasses .

take your body weight - divide in 1/2
    less 20% from normal fruit and food .
    thats generally the minimum water/fluid you need a day .

drinking coffee or tea and counting that as part of your water? bad idea, only add about 2/3 of the total ounces as hydration because your body loses more due to caffeine

if you work out, add back in another 8 -10 oz for every 30 minutes you exercise.

most people need more like 12 glasses of water a day.
    some much more
    I know for me , if I'm below 100 oz, I am DEAD thirsty!

ODing on water, unlikely!
    if you find you drink a LOT like, more than gallon a day and are still thirsty, evaluate the other intake, are you eating a lot of salt, is some of what you're drinking not water but dark soda tea or coffee???
    when was the last time you had sugars checked?
    are you diagnosed pre diabetic?
    or insulin resistant syndrome?

Overdosing on water is absolute fact (not common but fact). It throws off electrolyte levels, etc. Yes, it takes a lot but it happens.

http://www.mindthesciencegap.org/2013/02/04/can-you-od-on-water/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyponatremia/DS00974
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water. However, in order to suffer from water intoxication, you usually need to have drank a serious amount of water in a very short time (ie, a gallon in an hour), or have sweat a lot and drank a lot of water without replenishing the sodium in your body first (like the marathon runner from one of the links posted).
    The average person does not have to concern themselves with drinking too much water.
  • MinCa70
    MinCa70 Posts: 7
    Options
    As long as you do not drink them in one go, you should be fine!

That made me laugh! Good point, though. Thanks!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes. Only after consumption of watermelon seeds though. Drinking too much water after the seed will cause watermelon growth in your belly. Then you have a whole new issue to worry about.

On a lighter note, unless its to the levels of toxicity as others have mentioned, you're good. :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    "The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition."

Add "unless you are rushing a frat" to the list. My friend was in a frat that had a pledge die during hell week. One of the initiation rites involved drinking gallons and gallons of water. They learned about water intoxication the hard way.