Protein and weight maintanence

Options
Is it possible to take in too much protein? I have been successfully losing weight by decreasing my carbs and increasing my protein. As I get nearer my goal weight my goal is to maintain a healthy weight and never be overweight again. I'm looking for suggestions on how to balance my diet to maintain. How many carbs and how much protein should a person get in one day? HELP.

Replies

• sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In general, 0.8-1.0g of protein/lb of lean body mass, 0.3-0.5g of fat/lb of body weight. The rest, carbs. If you go over protein, no big deal. It is unlikely you will consume too much to have any negative effects.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    In general, 0.8-1.0g of protein/lb of lean body mass, 0.3-0.5g of fat/lb of body weight. The rest, carbs. If you go over protein, no big deal. It is unlikely you will consume too much to have any negative effects.
    2nd this.

bodybuilders/athletic/ people should aim 1.1-1.4
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to maintain weight (i.e. you are not eating at a deficit) and are not doing significant amounts of exercise, you are *probably* ok at about 0.5g per lb/lbm as a minimum but something like 0.8g per lb/lbm would be more optimal. Going a bit higher would be better as a CYA, especially if exercising a decent amount and, unless you have risk of kidney issues or consume ridiculous amounts of protein, going over is absolutely fine.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb.....well for those of us who exercfise a lot....

- Eat some fruit, veggies/salad, and some essential fatty acids (EFAs) every day.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass minimum.
    - Eat 0.45g fat / lb body weight
    - Fill in the rest of your calories with whatever combination of carbs/protein/fats you want.

Also make sure you calculate your maintenance
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Here is an excellent article on the subject..... http://www.livestrong.com/article/556322-how-much-protein-is-right-for-you/