Running time decreased!

Options
I had been running 3-4 days/week up until last December. Once the cold set in I couldn't convince myself to dress in layers, etc. and decided to put running on the back burner. Couple months went by and boot camp just wasn't enough and I had the opportunity to purchase a gym membership. I have been lifting heavy following the NROL4W...this is my 4th week. Went on my first run since December yesterday and hit a PR! Not much to a lot of runners but I ran my first ever 10 min mile and had an average pace of 10:30/mile! Considering I was usually closer to a 12 min mile, I am SUPER psyched! Was a little afraid of what taking 3 1/2 months off would do to me. But nothing to be scared of now! Whoo-hoo!!!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me after taking some time off from running to heal an IT issue.

I came back to train for a 10 mile race and saw my average pace drop from 12 minute miles to sub 11. Now I regularly run sub 10 miles and am hoping to get to the high 8s/low 9s next time I train for a race.

Congrats!!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I walk frequently. I know the feeling of accomplishment when you improve your times/pace. Good for you, that's awesome!!!!
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    fantastic! I am glad to hear that when my 'running season' ends that entering back into it may not be as painful as I thought. Congrats on getting back on it! that takes determination!
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats! I've taken time off running lately, too, but I'm back at it tomorrow at 5 a.m. Great job!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    fantastic! I am glad to hear that when my 'running season' ends that entering back into it may not be as painful as I thought. Congrats on getting back on it! that takes determination!

I have an amazing group of boot camp/running friends...without them the motivation to get back on the roads would be a lot harder to find. We were actually all running different distances as our boot camp "leader" ran her last long run before the Boston Marathon. I felt it would be a great way to start my running season back up! Little did I know that my new pace would end up being my new motivation!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats! I've taken time off running lately, too, but I'm back at it tomorrow at 5 a.m. Great job!

I'm a 5am runner too! Nothing like a quiet run in the morning where all you hear is the sound of your breath and the birds waking up :) Congrats on getting back to running!!! Good luck tomorrow :)