How do you avoid boredom eating?

Options
So here I am, on 24 hour staff duty... bored out of my mind.

My biggest downfall has always been eating out of boredom and that's all I can think about right now! (ps, I'm only 4 hours in).

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Read
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Water or sit on some tea.
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Talk to yourself, and talk yourself out of eating, tell yourself you will drink some water instead..and save the calories.
  • whatthefitz
    Options
    Knitting and crocheting
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Find something to keep yourself occupied. Can you do some exercises at/by your desk?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    the forums have been known to suck hours of life away...

can you do puzzle books? take up a craft like knitting? listen to music? watch videos?

chew gum, drink a lot, eat popcorn
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Don't get bored! That simple and that difficult.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pinterest.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    don't eat...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm bad, bad, bad about boredom eating. Right now, I'm trying to stay at a certain caloric goal and work on more intuitive eating without switching completely to intuitive eating. I am trying to listen to my body and decide if I'm actually hungry. I try to put it off. If I'm just going to the pantry and browsing, I know I'm probably not actually hungry. I am a binger, and I'm really trying to change my thinking so that when I'm ready to wean off daily logging and try to maintain my weight I can work with a more intuitive eating, am I full? approach. It's hard.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I read, go on message boards, make homework (I actually like that...), watch YouTube videos, clean...
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Part of it depends on what you're allowed to do while you're there.

If I were allowed to, I'd:
    Read
    Knit/Crochet/cross stitch, embroidery, etc.
    Learn a new language
    Write in my journal
    Take an online class (not being online at work, just doing the homework while there) - a computer class, a math class, a literature class, whatever caught my interest
    Meal planning
    To-do lists
    Write snail mail to friends and family
    Crossword/Sudoku/ etc
    Be proactive at work and see if there are tasks that need doing that you could do during your down time - filing, shredding, updating old forms, copying, etc.

I also find that planning what I'm going to eat really helps, and it might also help if you brush your teeth in between meal time so that you're less tempted to snack. Not having the snacks around will also help. Getting a friend or coworker to "say no to oversnacking" along with you would also help.