How much $$$ on groceries?

Options
13»

Replies

• MammaParadise
    Options
    I spend about $350/month on all groceries for two adults, a toddler, and two doberman pincers. I shop primarily at Costco and the local grocery store.

1. I do all my own baking, thereby paying only $.71 per loaf for whole grain bread. I don't eat as much bread as I used to because I have to take the time to make it first.
    2. I make all my legumes from dried rather than canned. It takes a little longer, but I do all my prep on weekends.
    3. I buy my meats bulk and re-cut and freeze them myself.
    4. I tend to buy only fruits and veggies that are "in season." I have had to learn more recipes to accommodate things like squash that I didn't previously cook with.
    5. For whatever reason, Walgreens charges $.75/gallon less for milk consistently than any other grocery store in my area... We drink a lot of milk.

:)

That's super smart!! I do the same things with our meats at Sam's club and local stores here. I wish I knew how to bake real bread, we eat 3 loafs every 2-3wks.
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Need to learn how to make dried beans!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Family of 5, 2 adults, 2 teenage boys and an 8 year old boy. We spend between 250-300 per week. We meal plan in advance and buy only for those meals. This does include paper products, cleaning produces, dog food and household goods, so all in all not bad. For me, the biggest thing is to go to the store with a list and only buy what's on it. I have a spreadsheet that is laid out just like the aisles in the store, start on aisle one and move left to right going straight down the list. I can fill a cart to overflowing and be finished in 20 minutes. I say all this to say, use what ever tools it takes to make you behave in the store. If I go without a list and a plan I will certainly over spend.
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Seems reasonable to me. I try to keep our grocery budget to about $1200 for me and my two teenagers. It probably depends a lot on the cost of living where you are and what kinds of foods you buy. In the past when I needed to be more conscious about my spending, I could get our food budget down quite low.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    that does seem like a lot...for myself and two kids (5 and almost 9) my budget is $80/week...

I cook mostly everything, shop sales and use coupons...

I always stock up when I can get a great deal on something so often we just eat from the pantry and I just shop for fresh additions...

Planning eat meal based on seasonal produce, and actually sticking to what you write on the list is a great help!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I spend roughly 800 a month on groceries...there are 4 1/2 of us...

I saw 4 1/2 because one of us is only here half the time...
  • missarielbaby
    missarielbaby Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I roughly spend about 350/400 a month if that. I like Coupons and plus I'm sure it does matter where you live on pricing!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    About $1000 a month dor 2 adults 5 children. I also do a big stock up trip every few months where I spend $700-1000. I shop primarily at Costco.