baby shower for second baby (new hubby)

Options
2»

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    thoughts?
    My friend just mentioned that she is sad she won't be having a baby shower. Her other child is 8 years old. Should I try to throw something together for her?

I would, for two reasons you stated in your post and title. Not only is it with a new husband, but 8 years after the first child. It would be different if it was within a couple of years of having the last child, even then I would consider putting together a "sprinkle" (where diapers are given).
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I should warn that my opinion is based on the customs where I grew up, but baby showers are for moms, not babies (i.e. it is to help the mom), and they are for first-time moms only. The idea is that a first-time mom doesn't really know what she needs because she's never had a child. Hence, all the experienced moms get together to give her what she will need and to generally celebrate her entry into the world of motherhood. You don't have another "look at me! I'm a mom!" party for the second baby. You send out a pregnancy or birth announcement, and the people who feel inclined to send a gift can do so.

Then again, where I'm from, there are pretty strict social rules about "big" weddings (you only get one) and house-warming parties (only for your first home), so the one-baby-shower-per-mom rule falls in line with that. It's basically viewed as begging for gifts/attention from people who have already been very generous to you if you expect a party and free stuff every time you have a kid.

My sister-in-law is having her second child with my brother any day now. We did not have a second shower for her. It doesn't mean we love her or my niece any less.