Overnight diet

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    After all the gimmicks, tricks, and "jump starts," you end up at the same spot, so why not just eat at a deficit from the beginning? I guess it's unbelievable that a simple deficit works, hence the magic miracle diet techniques.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    After all the gimmicks, tricks, and "jump starts," you end up at the same spot, so why not just eat at a deficit from the beginning? I guess it's unbelievable that a simple deficit works, hence the magic miracle diet techniques.

Some people like a structured diet. Just as some people buy a fixer upper house while others want a house turn key ready, or even fully furnished. You know there are thousands of people who are great cooks but need the weekly email from Martha Stewart or similar websites, with the structured daily meal ideas for the full week. Each person works differently.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Some people like a structured diet. Just as some people buy a fixer upper house while others want a house turn key ready, or even fully furnished. You know there are thousands of people who are great cooks but need the weekly email from Martha Stewart or similar websites, with the structured daily meal ideas for the full week. Each person works differently.

Some people are skilled and can save money by buying fix up houses. Some people like to buy cookbooks to increase skill in the kitchen (even though you can everything for free on the internet). Some people like to waste money on voodoo books and shakes to get the exact same result as the "boring" (but free, proven knowledge) option of weighing food, counting calories/macros, and exercising. Some people like the sensation and thrill of anything but a sustainable, disciplined approach.
  • deerenaldo1980
    Options
    I can see why people might think it's a "fad diet" because of the title, but actually, I got my hands on an early copy of the book from my friend who is a blogger, and from what I've read, it seems pretty legit. It's not really meant to be a short term diet, but rather, it's a pretty simple permanent change in your lifestyle--for one day every week, you eat only smoothies, and the other days a week, you eat a regular, high-protein diet. Supposedly the way it works is you drop weight "overnight" on the day you eat only smoothies, but the key is you have to make sure you still consume a lot of protein to conserve your muscle mass. The other important aspect is making sure you get enough sleep. The book has a ton of pretty interesting recipes and smoothie ideas, and the author is a very renowned Dr. who is Director of the Weight Management Program at Boston Medical Center. I think it all sounds pretty good but I'm still trying to work up the motivation to start dieting!
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I trust neither the Daily Mail (Rupert Murdoch tabloid) nor 1-post users for diet advice.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The overnight diet, huh? Why don't you just try it tonight and get back to us with the results. Look forward to hearing how it went tomorrow.:drinker:
  • Netteyc
    Netteyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why is it that the Daily Mail always prints faddy diets?! Calorie counting and exercise will help you to lose weight, you don't need to do a faddy diet that will be hard to maintain x
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    You gotta try this!?

oMG ok Soounds FABuloUS..... But I like to eat errr day. That's my opinion,
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    Why is it that the Daily Mail always prints faddy diets?! Calorie counting and exercise will help you to lose weight, you don't need to do a faddy diet that will be hard to maintain x

Cuz loosing weight and working out isn't new and exciting.... Nor is survival. *spice*
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Why is it that the Daily Mail always prints faddy diets?!
    Sometimes I think the Daily Mail will print literally anything for a click or a sale. A-NY-THING.
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    Options
    The low carb/high protein/intermittent fasting tactics indicated in the article all work for some (or even many) people. I doubt if it is the miracle cure for obesity implied by the article but it is probably as effective as most approaches to dieting (i.e. not very effective but better than nothing).
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I can see why people might think it's a "fad diet" because of the title, but actually, I got my hands on an early copy of the book from my friend who is a blogger, and from what I've read, it seems pretty legit. It's not really meant to be a short term diet, but rather, it's a pretty simple permanent change in your lifestyle--for one day every week, you eat only smoothies, and the other days a week, you eat a regular, high-protein diet. Supposedly the way it works is you drop weight "overnight" on the day you eat only smoothies, but the key is you have to make sure you still consume a lot of protein to conserve your muscle mass. The other important aspect is making sure you get enough sleep. The book has a ton of pretty interesting recipes and smoothie ideas, and the author is a very renowned Dr. who is Director of the Weight Management Program at Boston Medical Center. I think it all sounds pretty good but I'm still trying to work up the motivation to start dieting!

I have not read the book but just from the summary in the article I thought the same thing. Actually, it talks about a lot of the issues faced when dieting and provides a healthy menu guide and offers meal ideas. It is a long term lifestyle change. I think many people like to have a menu designed by someone else and just follow it, even if they count calories here. Many mfp members see a nutritionist who helps them do that. The book offers some smoothies recipes and then gives guidelines on how to substitute ingredients. The menus are designed to keep the insulin level down. The second article has exercise ideas. I really do not understand the venom of people for silly reasons. Why does it matter where the article was posted? The info is the same but it has an extended summary from the book so people can get ideas for their meals without buying the book, and it does not require newspaper subscription. Others reject it because the md is not a nutritionist. Well she has a BA in biochemistry, plus the md, plus all her respective credentials in obesity research.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    'patients typically lost 2lb over night after their smoothie day'??? not of fat though!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Some people are skilled and can save money by buying fix up houses. Some people like to buy cookbooks to increase skill in the kitchen (even though you can everything for free on the internet). Some people like to waste money on voodoo books and shakes to get the exact same result as the "boring" (but free, proven knowledge) option of weighing food, counting calories/macros, and exercising. Some people like the sensation and thrill of anything but a sustainable, disciplined approach.

Some people like to spend their time weighing food and counting macros, while others find that a waste of time and simply eat less. Some people like to exercise more and eat more. Some prefer to exercise little and eat less. What is sustainable is not the same for everyone.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Same woman who used to flog Alli:

web_73_display.jpg
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I'm reading this and going, hm, where have I seen this before? It's just a variation of a protein-sparing modified fast. If you look at the Velocity Diet on T-Nation, it's pretty much the same (both the diet and the exercise program) except theirs is all dressed up in manly-man language like "extreme!" and "ripped!" and white text on black background instead of words like "muffin top" and "tummy" with pastelly-pink pictures. (Oh, and they're trying to sell supplements instead of a book/program, but same same, really.)

Anyway, it's a thing. The article admits that the "2 lbs overnight" is going to be water weight, but I guess some people are excited by that. And the 9 lbs a week thing, sure, if you're starting at 500 lbs, which is what PSMFs was originally developed for, so the author is probably good on that claim too.

I'm calling it... not that bad. Probably. There's a lot of obfuscation of what you're actually doing, which is a red flag, but then again, Weight Watchers is pretty popular, so maybe that's helpful for some people. It's not anything new or revolutionary or that you couldn't figure out yourself with a little research, but meh. It seems to cover the basics, and I don't think it would kill you. Most people don't keep up with diet and exercise once they've gotten to their goal weight, so yeah, most people who try it will wind up gaining the weight back as fat (and, ok, water, because dehydrating yourself once a week isn't really a weight-loss solution). It's certainly not a miracle diet, but it's not "eat 800 calories of chicken breast and broccoli a day until you weigh 80 pounds" either.