Lifting Heavy Weights Makes Women Bulky!

Options
LeenaRuns
LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
Okay, I can't believe I'm doing this...

I'm 5'6" and started working out hardcore about a year and a half ago. I started out by running and doing some Jillian Michaels DVDs (I know she uses weights, but let's face it--they're 99% cardio-based). I started getting more serious about lifting in November of last year and started StrongLifts 5x5 end of February this year. I took the photo on the left in April of 2012 before my beach vacation. I was 113 lbs. The photo on the right is me this weekend at 120.8 lbs...still the same size 0 I was a year ago.

I'm still working on it, but right now I'm squatting 90 lbs and dead lifting over 100. Lifting DOES NOT make you bulky. Put down the Barbie weights and hit the squat rack!

LeenaRunssidebyside_zps9fcf8c61.jpg

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Awesome success :) Do you still do cardio while lifting?
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    Awesome success :) Do you still do cardio while lifting?

I do--I run and do MMA, but increasing my weights is my major focus right now.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! (Then and now!) Women need to see stuff like this. Somewhere along the line people started believing that lifting will turn you into a man, and they need to see that it absolutely WILL NOT! Still beautiful, still slim, and I notice you haven't started growing a beard! :laugh:
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You look FABULOUS!! So proud of you and all the hard work you put in!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! I just switched over to my TDEE -20% and have been trying to eat more and lift more. I'm really worried about it but your pics show that it is the right thing to do. You are awesome...thank you for sharing!
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Great success story, thanks for sharing!! :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You look great OP!
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, amazing!
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic Aileen - So proud of you!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be bulky like you :laugh:

Nice job :flowerforyou:
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You almost opened the box of .... WTF for me ... i read the title of this thread and was like.... AWWWW hell nawwww... someone needs to be schooled that a woman can lift should lift and wont get bulk, but then you proved me wrong... so good for you, and awesome that you lift, keep up the good work.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    <3 this! Looking good lady, and strong!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Getting my punch pass for the gym this week. Bring on the she-hulk look! Squeeeeeee! I can't wait!
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    Thanks everyone! To answer some questions I've been getting PMed--I eat around my TDEE (average 2000-2200 cals) 25% carbs/50% fat, 25% protein (which works out to more than 1g/lb of LBM).
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Do I see a new profile pic?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You almost opened the box of .... WTF for me ... i read the title of this thread and was like.... AWWWW hell nawwww... someone needs to be schooled that a woman can lift should lift and wont get bulk, but then you proved me wrong... so good for you, and awesome that you lift, keep up the good work.

I thought the same at first. Glad I opened and read!
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm squatting 90 lbs and dead lifting over 100

My hero :love:

Totally must not underestimate skinny chicks. Would not have thought you had the strength you look so frail! :laugh: Bet people frek out seeing you lift for the first time convinced you will hurt yourself.
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    I'm squatting 90 lbs and dead lifting over 100

My hero :love:

Totally must not underestimate skinny chicks. Would not have thought you had the strength you look so frail! :laugh: Bet people frek out seeing you lift for the first time convinced you will hurt yourself.

Before I start for the day I usually get guys coming over asking if I need their help taking the weights off/putting them on. I always politely decline.
  • belligerent599
    Options
    I've been actively trying to get "bulky" for the last three years so I always have to lift a people's eyebrow at women who think lifting more than a 3-lb dumbbell is going to accidentally give them arms bigger than mine.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!