Hi, I'm a hot mess.

Options
Hello, I'm Tiffany, I'm 27 and I have a HUGE problem. My body. Ugh!

Okay, so I have finally decided that enough is enough and have actually begun to use this site (on which I created an account like a year ago and never touched). I don't even know where to begin. What got me to finally come clean with myself was a picture of myself taken on Easter. This person took it while I was standing to the side, not even knowing. Once she posted the album on FB and I was looking through them, I about died when I came across it. It's not that I've been oblivious to my weight gain it's just that it was shocking to see it for what it was. It literally made me sick to my stomach. My husband was standing behind me in the pic and it hit me hard, that he deserves more than what I have become. The thing is, he sees nothing wrong and still finds me super attractive (which I guess I should be thankful for). Except that when I look in the mirror all I can think is, GROSS! When I got on the scale later that day and the number read 227, I honestly could not believe it. :(

So that is what brought me here...but here is a little of my background. I was always a curvyish girl, size 8 big hips, boobs, thighs. At the time I thought I was "fat" and didnt realize that I had the ideal body. And the sad thing is I would kill to go back to that body. Around 19, I started to notice that I was putting on weight and rather quickly, I also noticed that I was soooo tired all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep, my hair began to fall out in clumps. Then came the body aches, which I attributed to the weight gain. After a few months of this I finally went to the doctor and after several tests was diagnosed with Hashimito's Hypothyroidism. So I got the script for synthroid and off I went thinking things were going to get better. Well, no. I went from my 135 lbs all the way to 195 lbs. Fast forward to 2010, I marry my husband (together since 05) and then in Feb 2011 found out that I'm pregnant. My pregnancy surprisingly went great, I actually LOST weight the entire time up until the last 3 weeks. LOL My doctor was even baffled by this. The day I went in for induction I was 184 lbs.

After my emergency csection in Nov 2011, I met the person that I had been waiting to meet my whole life...my beautiful daughter, Bella Everleigh. From that moment I was forever changed. She is a big part of why I HAVE to do this, not next month, not next year. NOW! There are days when I feel like complete crap and can't give her all the attention/play time that she so deserves and I know that if I can get this broken body back into shape that I will be able to be the mommy to her that she needs!

So my thyroid is still out of wack after changing my dosage a gazillion times and I have let that hold me back in the past from trying because I felt like it will be an uphill battle against my thyroid...and it will! BUT it doesn't matter, I am determined to push forward regardless of it.

Okay, so sorry if all this has bored you. I just needed to get that out and I would really love some support from other women in similar situations. Also any thyroid advice is welcomed, as I have tried alot of different things and have lost hope in fixing it.

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!!!

Your husband loves you from the Inside, so you must be a good person. Your Daughter loves you, now YOU need to love you. You are more than your weight!

I'm sorry the thyroid is being so stubborn for you. Keep on the docs, and start eating right. hopefully that helps you feel better, and then it continues to build from there!

We are here to help!!!! Friend me if you'd like

Nancy
  • honeybadgegirl
    honeybadgegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany!

It sounds like you are ready to get going so I just want to send you my congratulations for committing to this lifestyle and my support. You have a lot to be grateful for (esp your daughter) so try not to be too overwhelmed by this and find the good in all of it. Like you said, the time is now and what better time to start taking care of yourself than today. Make realistic goals for yourself and give yourself tons of love and support because it sounds like your body has been through a lot w/ the hypothyroidism and birth. I read a couple of people's stories about hypothyroidism so do a search and you should be able to find some. I think I also saw a support group specifically for people with it so you should definitely join.

All the best Tiffany! I cant wait to see your success story! You're young so don't forget that things will be slightly easier for you as well ;-)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You're not a mess . . . . yet.

:wink:
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    don't have thyroid issues but wanted to wish you luck and offer friend if needed...and luv luv your daughters name!!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been on thyroid meds for the last 10 years. You can lose weight...just might be a tad bit harder. Be sure to get your thyroid checked every 6 months. Mine is always doing something funky and almost always has to be changed and adjusted. Right now my does is 175mg....
  • BLBrinegar
    Options
    We have so much in common! I'm 27 and I saw a picture of myself and had that "ugh" feeling as well. I used to be thinner. I was never "skinny" but I was thin and many people complimented my figure. I started working out in high school and continued in college due to sports. I ate whatever I wanted because I worked out a TON! Well, after I graduated I broke my ankle and had to have two surgeries to repair the damage. I got very thin when I was on crutches, but once I was able to fully walk again I started slowly putting on weight. A few pound didn't really bother me, because hey, I can just exercise a bit and work it off...well, I had a lot of problems with my ankle being VERY painful...I couldn't jog, bike, use an ellipitcal...only swim which, I detest swimming. I complained a lot and ate even more...I finally bought a scale...stood on it and cried realizing I had gone up two pant sizes and I couldn't go up the stairs without panting. I want to feel good again and be what I looked like in high school...despite thinking I was "fat" I actually looked pretty healthy then!

I joined this site a week ago today, and I've lost 2.2 pounds already. Tracking your food intake/calories really opens your eyes to what you are putting in your body. Walking an extra ten minutes here and there really counts. You don't HAVE to run for a half hour to lose weight...but put in some effort here and there throughout the day. Take an extra walk with your daughter and count those extra calories you burned! Track EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and you will find yourself eating less and less becaue you may not realize what all is in the food you are eating. It's made a huge difference for me already. Just a few small changes here and there can really go a long way. You don't have to deprive yourself of favorite foods, or workout non-stop...start small making changes and it becomes easier and easier. Feel free to add me and good luck on your journey! It doens't matter how long it takes as long as you are happy with the outcome!
  • JonnaM0916
    JonnaM0916 Posts: 113
    Options
    LOL at the hot mess...You're not a mess! You've got this!!!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have completely been in your shoes (minus the baby part, soon though!!). I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism at 19 after going from 115 lbs to 185 lbs in about 6 months. There were other issues going on to but I'm sure you're perfectly aware of all of those fun things. I've yo-yo'd back and forth, my heaviest being about 225 lbs but that was while I was unemployed and couldn't afford my meds so my levels were off the charts (literally, my TSH was 300+ when I finally got back to a doc). I busted my butt with a trainer and got down to about 185 lbs before I went back to work and got insurance again so I KNOW it can be done.

My best advice for you is do LOTS of thyroid research, make yourself an expert and then find the right doctor. The only endocrinologist in my area is AWFUL so I literally have to tell him what dosage and what medications I need. Once you find your optimal thyroid levels, things will start to fall in to place. It's not an easy road, and you'll see results slower than most folks but it is completely doable!
  • nanamartinez13
    nanamartinez13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can do this :)

Well i'm glad you are on your way to be the healthier you!

I too suffer from thyroid issues and it is a little harder to lose some weight, but you will see the big pay off. Welcome!
  • staryful7
    staryful7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tiffany,

sometimes it does take a wake up picture to get you going. I know for me it was a combo of pictures, a video for my hubby's job, not fitting in to clothes, and the scale. But I will say that all helped me to push myself to get in shape. I am married with a 3 yr old and you do need energy to keep up with them! My husband looks like a model, but he meet me at the biggest I have been. But he loves me, not my body. He does help me to keep moving. I have lost many itches and the scale is up and down, but I am motivated to keep going on here. So add me as a friend we can cheer each other on to a healthy lifestyle. I remind myself healthy and fit. So that means what you eat and committing to working out FOREVER!! Besides that it is good for you body, it will help you to be healthy. Maybe ask your doctor for a nutritionist for your condition.
  • tpkaylor
    tpkaylor Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I didn't expect such a huge response! I really appreciate all of the well wishes and advice. You guys are awesome and I will definitely be adding a few of you to keep up with.

Thanks so much! :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Um, your giving me goosebumps, I think your an inspiration.
  • murphey21
    murphey21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Glad you decided to make a change like the rest of us. It's day one of your new life and healthy lifestyle. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to.